The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4 Gripes

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4 Gripes

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Noticed this many times now re the ‘Tanyas Market Movers’ skit. Does she never check the markets the night before the races?? Said Rizeena moves from 7-4 to 2-1 but when I checked yesturday I’m pretty damn sure I saw Rizeena at around the evens mark. 7-4 to 2-1 is significantly different to evens to 2-1

Also said Ihtimal moved from 5-2 to 2-1 but the horse was definitely at 3-1 with paddypower yesturday.

It may seem petty but this is the case with the majority of her ‘market movers’.

Or am I missing the point and they only look at moves on the day? If this is the case then I think they should involve the odds for the day before because from my short experience the main market moves happen at around 10pm the night before.

I love how they regard 7-2 to 3-1 as a gamble.

They’re just creating interest, just as newspapers often create news and don’t report it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Noticed this many times now re the ‘Tanyas Market Movers’ skit. Does she never check the markets the night before the races?? Said Rizeena moves from 7-4 to 2-1 but when I checked yesturday I’m pretty damn sure I saw Rizeena at around the evens mark. 7-4 to 2-1 is significantly different to evens to 2-1

Also said Ihtimal moved from 5-2 to 2-1 but the horse was definitely at 3-1 with paddypower yesturday.

It may seem petty but this is the case with the majority of her ‘market movers’.

Or am I missing the point and they only look at moves on the day? If this is the case then I think they should involve the odds for the day before because from my short experience the main market moves happen at around 10pm the night before.

As well as speaking to any bookmakers reps who may be at the meeting, Tanya rings round the bookmakers before going on air to get the market moves.

So I would presume the moves would be based only on the morning moves.

If I happen to be at the same meeting as her in the next couple of weeks, and I remember, I will ask her.

Cheers Paul, would be surprised if she does ring up the bookmakers to find out as it’s hardly rocket science and doesn’t exactly take a lot of time to do the research yourself! It’s not as though she’s one of the main presenters with not much time to prepare…

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Cheers Paul, would be surprised if she does ring up the bookmakers to find out as it’s hardly rocket science and doesn’t exactly take a lot of time to do the research yourself! It’s not as though she’s one of the main presenters with not much time to prepare…

As I often sit next to her on a Saturday I can assure you she does ring round the bookmakers to get the market movers.

Like the entire team, she does spend most of the Saturday morning in production meetings, the team only reappear about an hour before racing starts and it’s then she rings around.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

Like the entire team, she does spend most of the Saturday morning in production meetings…

Can anybody else spot where they’re going wrong?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

As I often sit next to her on a Saturday I can assure you she does ring round the bookmakers to get the market movers.

Like the entire team, she does spend most of the Saturday morning in production meetings, the team only reappear about an hour before racing starts and it’s then she rings around.

I have to say, whether it be a coincidence or not, I’ve actually found Tanya’s market-movers to be a lot better in the last month or so! She seems to have more horses in there that have moved over night rather than just on the day of the races and with this the ‘moves’ have been distinctly bigger.

Credit where credit is due, well done Tanya!

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Mick Fitzgerald made an interesting point today about the 2m hurdle race at Market Rasen, "when the horse’s jump the last hurdle they will be on their feet on the run to the line" :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

" The fact they’ve supplemented the horse tells you they think it’s got a chance "

Platitudes all day from Fitzy.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Why have guests like Ed Vaughan? Rishi was virtually having to answer the questions for him. Someone must have known that he could barely string a sentence together. Then when he does come up with something moderately interesting he is ‘unable’ to tell viewers the name of some unraced 2yo which is supposed to be decent. Woeful.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Eleven 2yr old wins in the last five years – i won’t be holding my breath.

Terrible guest. Maybe they didn’t have one and just dragged someone in ?

Guests need to give the programme an extra dimension, an extra viewpoint that the hosts don’t give. He gave no insight into the races discussed and basically selected the favourite in each race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I’m increasingly impressed with Rishi. He comes across to me as the most professional anchor by far of those they’ve tried. He’s unflappable, pleasant and knows his stuff.

He has an admirable way of getting comments in the paddock without breenging in among connections, scattering bodies, as Ms Balding does. And with him at the helm, his colleagues seem more confident and assured in what they’re doing.

And GC is building his niche very well. Perhaps the most knowledgeable of them all, he has that offbeat turn of phrase at times that stamps him as an original. He just needs to be a wee bit careful that his quickfire mind doesn’t send a bullet into his own foot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

breenging

in among connections.

Good to see this word getting a bit of an airing Joe :wink:

Ha! We must widen the vocabulary of our southern friends :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Is the racing on CH4 Catch up? I can’t seem to find todays racing and I’m out tomorrow afternoon and panicking in case I can’t get to see the Arc when I get home.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

What does ‘Breenging’ mean??

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Breenge (Scot) ‘To lunge forward, move violently, or dash’

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Breenge (Scot) ‘To lunge forward, move violently, or dash’

Cheers, not slang I have heard before.

I have just watched the boxing (W Klitchko v Povetkin), and a bit more ‘Breenge’ from either and perhaps some boxing might have broken out.

More Breenge Wlad, more Breenge son!

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Nick Luck’s explanation to anyone who is not familiar with the PMU betting option – if the horse is french, take English odds, if horse is foreign, take PMU.

Give me strength.

Peekingpunter
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2

Since the change over a struggle to watch C4 racing. I find nick luck the most pompous smug bore the living daylights out of me anchor of a tv programme to be on a sports programme going. M Fitzgerald constantly pointing his fingers everywhere just get on my tits. I’ll watch for the racing but find myself wanting to switch over between races. The top end of the racing fraternity now has it’s people running this show to the detriment of its normal everyday punter. Where’s the humour, personality entertainment factor gone. It’s now nothing more than one big posh cliche. The morning line is also poor. Rarely do I bother of annoying the mrs by putting it on. Why ? What’s the point ? I don’t enjoy it. One good thing I will say is I like Richie. He’s good for the programme. But for gods sake. Ditch nick luck.

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.