The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Geoff Banks (guest :scratch: ) on the Morning Line this Saturday.
    Summing up in the Lincoln he states
    ‘I can’t see anything in the Lincoln drawn higher than stall 14 winning the race’

Lincoln Result

1st… Secret Brief (Stall 22)
    2nd .. Bravo Zolo (Stall 2) a brave run as he kept up with the pace from the start
    3rd .. Battle of Marathon (Stall 18)
    4th .. Birdman (Stall 21)

The 5th horse was drawn 3 and the 6th drawn 20

Four horses drawn over ’14’ in the first six home and not a favourite in sight.

Tune in next Saturday for a 2 hours special on what NOT to back in the Grand National
    (particularly anything AP tips up). :whistle:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

What’s been disappointing about Channel 4s coverage has been the lack of extra content on their website and More 4 outside of the regular Saturday broadcasts. All those puff pieces which were used on The Morning Line, resulting in inadequate discussions about the day’s racing, could have been in a weekly 30 minute programme on More 4 before or after The Morning Line airs on a Saturday.
    Competitions run by a broadcaster but which force the viewer to register with a bookmaker are crass beyond belief.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Like Triptych I did enjoy the shrewd assessment of the Lincoln draw from Geoff Banks. Further help was forthcoming when Tanya winkled out a gem from Alan Alger that those drawn in the middle were likely to prevail. Jimmy McGrath then declared that talk of draw bias is ‘a load of cobblers’.

On this form the old show is a must see.

If Geoff Banks is not available for Aintree, perhaps Jeff, the Sandie Shaw and BBC cast off, could be roped in. He might be able to ask some scallies wearing suits from his collection at Matalan what might win

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I never thought I’d say this but I quite liked Channel 4’s coverage of Aintree today, mostly because I managed to avoid Chris Dixon’s boring ramblings on RUK; even Tanya Stevenson is preferable to the pointless Dave Nevison.

However I thought Simon Holt sounded a bit bored/unhappy today, his commentaries weren’t as good as they usually are.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

Channel 4 LOL moment of the day: Alice Plunkett shrieking “this is BRILLIANT for Scotland!” at Mr T Hamilton after he had ridden Doubledisdoubledat to a distant fifth in the Fox Hunters’.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Channel 4 LOL moment of the day: Alice Plunkett shrieking “this is BRILLIANT for Scotland!” at Mr T Hamilton after he had ridden Doubledisdoubledat to a distant fifth in the Fox Hunters’.

Plunkett is the worst of them. A complete clown. What she was trying to do just before interviewing paddy Brennan after cue card winning, squeezing his leg and trying to grap his whip etc, and shouting at the horse was just over board. Completely unnecessary.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

I can remember when only two people were needed to present an entire afternoon’s racing- Julian Wilson and Peter O’Sullevan. Quite why Channel 4 (or any racing channel) needs a cast of Cecil B. DeMille proportions I’m not quite sure.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

I can remember when only two people were needed to present an entire afternoon’s racing-

Yes but they did have Tim Gudgin or Len Martin to read the betting shows and results

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

A little tale of sweet innocence from the short-trousered ’60s

The BBC betting show graphics, if one can dignify them with that term, were in content much as they are now with a list of runners and their odds; but they always included BAR at the bottom in the same font as the runners

‘Bar runs in every race but never wins’ said Drone Jnr. to Drone Snr. Much guffawing and the first betting lesson learnt

On rare, much anticipated occasions Len Martin, or whoever, would utter the phrase ‘bar these’ which I always chose to interpret as Bar Lees. Bar Lees is running! Bar Lees is running!

A system never tried and unlikely to be accepted by a bookmaker but: had I blind-backed BAR from then (circa 1963) until now would I have turned a profit?

If so, what a horrifyingly unneccesary loss of blood, sweat and tears, and utter waste of a life the last 50+ years has been :yes:

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

A tale of sweet innocence from the 1940s and earlier when, I should make clear, I was not around.

BBC radio broadcasts of horse racing began in 1927 with the Grand National but the early programmes lacked an ingredient most would consider essential today.

The Corporation was practically paranoid about the subject of betting. They got around the problem by simply refusing to mention it. It wasn’t until the late 1940s that the BBC gave the barest minimum of information i.e. starting prices for the winner and placed horses. Before then I guess you listened to the race on the radio then went out and bought a newspaper to find out how much you’d won or lost.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

The pre race coverage was poor today, hardly any of the runners shown in the paddock or in the parade (or wasn’t there one?). Good they showed the ex winners all who looked fit and well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Totally agree with Crepello. In my opinion it was the worst ever pre race coverage, it`s now just the Clare Balding show who is a patronizing big head. It is all about the presenters these days anyway.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I thought it was awful. Why cant they show the last race when they are on air anyway? Secondly Alice Plunkett is absolutely awful, there is no one more annoying on TV, and at the end of the last race she just walked over into a middle of a conversation between Willie mullins, david mullins and the connections of ivan grozny and just grabbed david by the arm and marched him off for an interview, it was awful to look at. Thirdly, Clare Baldings behaviour in trying to interview mouse morris was totally unprofessional. Mouse was clearly very emotional and didnt want to talk, yet she still persisted with stupid cliched questions. Terrible

Participant
    • Total Posts 6836

Never, mind.

Only another year and you can all moan about ITV’s coverage no doubt.

I have feeling we are all going to miss Channel 4’s racing when it finally ends as it will never return.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Which bit will we all miss?

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

Never, mind.

I have feeling we are all going to miss Channel 4’s racing when it finally ends as it will never return.

Completely agree. Once the celeb obsessed, lowest common denominator ITV get hold of racing I fear the worst.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Never, mind.

I too am dreading ITV’s coverage Matron.
    Jeremy Kyle is in the running to present the programme, might as well have Ant and Dec. :unsure:
    Oh please let it be Matt Chapman :mail:
    and who will provide the female side to the show, lets wheel out a few guesses:-
    Victoria Pendleton
    Jordan
    Carol Vorderman (well she’s on everything else)
    Myleene Klass (so is she)

I haven’t got a Racing UK or ATR subscription at the moment but I think it’s time I looked into getting one
    PDQ… :yes:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.