The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

The lack of coverage of how a horse is looking and behaving is very annoying. The BBC always gave you a good run down of the horses. If you had seen gleneagles before the guineas he looked magnificent and was available at 5/1. Buuratino looked a picture at royal Ascot and air force blue still looked light. When in Ireland air force blue had obviously grown and put muscle on so it was no surprise he showed how good he was. I’m sure we all have examples of backing horses on how they are before the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 585

A couple of things have really annoyed me about CH4 racing in the last few weeks:-

1. Barely a mention of the big Leopardstown Xmas festival during the programmes on 26th/27th December (especially in light of the Wetherby & Chepstow abandonments). While I’m not anti-AW (don’t want to start that argument again) why do the producers think we would rather see 3 class 5 races at Chelmsford when they could have inserted a Grade 1 from Leopardstown?

2. The ongoing Kerry Lee love-in. Yes, we know she used to work on Channel 4 (and Tom Lee is her brother) but do they have to wet themselves every time she has a winner?

Chelmsford was added at the last minute they probably didn’t have the rights to Leopardstown, this is why Channel 4 have the rights to all the tracks even if they never show them ie S4C being refused rights to Ffos Las.

I understand there may have been rights costs – although I don’t expect they would be that big. CH4 have in recent years included the Irish 2000 Guineas and occasionally the Irish Gold Cup (when held on a Saturday) so thought – especially in Cheltenham in mind – that there would be interest in events in Ireland.

While it’s not a big deal to me as I have ATR, for those with access to Freeview only I would imagine it would be frustrating.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Two race meetings today, the big championship finals day and the channel four racing team are sat in a truck at….erm Haydock?? :scratch:

Nothing like sticking two fingers up to racing already.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Two race meetings today, the big championship finals day and the channel four racing team are sat in a truck at….erm Haydock?? :scratch:

Well to be fair to Channel 4, which is unlike me, they are covering Haydock tomorrow. It would have made more sense to have their caravan at Lingers and move it to nearby Kempton tomorrow.

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

Thought the coverage was OK to be honest. Don’t think it matters where the analysts are sitting. They are viewing it on TV anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

To be fair it’s not unique, it has been a regular occurrence throughout IMG’s tenure. I must admit though it does seem a bit bizarre to me to cover racing from a caravan at a track where the racing isn’t taking place.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

To be fair it’s not unique, it has been a regular occurrence throughout IMG’s tenure. I must admit though it does seem a bit bizarre to me to cover racing from a caravan at a track where the racing isn’t taking place.

Yes but it’s normally when a race meeting has been abandoned, why pick Haydock to be based at why not sit at Lingfield on Saturday in the truck, whatever you think of AW they have managed to build a good finals day and they should have been there for it then as a previous poster said gone to Kempton.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Why pick haydock you say? Well obviously because they are broadcasting from Haydock today and dont fancy moving the whole studio from lingfield to haydock over night and having it ready in time for the morning line.
    And the racing haydock is far more interesting than a crowd of failed flat horses running around a dirt track for vastly over inflated prize funds. So it’s no surprise they decided to base themselves at haydock

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Why pick haydock you say? Well obviously because they are broadcasting from Haydock today and dont fancy moving the whole studio from lingfield to haydock over night and having it ready in time for the morning line.
    And the racing haydock is far more interesting than a crowd of failed flat horses running around a dirt track for vastly over inflated prize funds. So it’s no surprise they decided to base themselves at haydock

Again just because you do not like the AW doesn’t mean you should overlook the effort that has been put into this and to go and sit in an empty Haydock is two fingers up to ARC and racing.

AW is part of UK racing, people need to get their heads out of the sand, so to speak and stop fighting it.

As has been said they could have been at two live meetings yesterday and today or they could have just had the on course team at Lingfield present the show and not bother with the bored men sat in the truck yesterday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

‘Failed flat horses’ what drivel…five winners were rated over 100, the other two over 90!

More than 10,000 turned up to watch.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 1508

Why does this snobbery still persist about AW racing?
    Much prefer it to any jumps meeting apart from the very best, look at the quality of the horses at any minor NH meeting

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

Last Saturday the coverage from Meydan was delivered by the ever pouting Emma and it looked to me like the Zika virus has bypassed Europe and hit Dubai.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I was astonished to read in today’s Guardian that Channel 4’s coverage of last year’s Grand National has been nominated for a BAFTA!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

It’s not often I agree with Bruce Millington but got to agree with him that racing/Doncaster should hang their heads in shame that they have pathetically allowed themselves to be pushed around by C4 and moved The Lincoln to the 2nd race on the card to accommodate F1 qualifying on C4.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

It’s not often I agree with Bruce Millington but got to agree with him that racing/Doncaster should hang their heads in shame that they have pathetically allowed themselves to be pushed around by C4 and moved The Lincoln to the 2nd race on the card to accommodate F1 qualifying on C4.

ATR guest just said no other country would allow their horse racing to be pushed around like we do.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Doncaster and their sponsors will want their big race to seen by the widest possible audience, so bringing the race forward is a sensible idea.

Let’s see how the viewing figures for the C4 and More4 racing segments turn out, and how they compare with those for the F1 qualifying.

As for the ATR guest, well, name me some countries where racing is regularly shown on one of the main TV channels.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Doncaster and their sponsors will want their big race to seen by the widest possible audience, so bringing the race forward is a sensible idea.

A spineless decision to accept that F1 qualifying should be given preference to The Lincoln.

It will be on ITV next year and the bookmaker sponsors are not Authorised Betting Partners in any case.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.