The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2015 Champion Hurdle

Viewing 13 posts - 188 through 200 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Is there an argument Steve to say The New One would have beaten Valseur Lido (now a 2 and a half mile+ chaser) just as easily as Faugheen did? Just like The New One would have beaten Purple Bay just as easily?

I suppose you could say that Zam but the difference for me is that you would be buying into the idea that The New One was guaranteed to be on a going day, where he jumps well and looks like the horse who won The Neptune in great style, rather than a day where he made quite hard work of beating lesser horses, or the time when he jumped the last level with Zarkandar at Aintree and then couldn’t use the turn of foot to go and win the race.

It may be co-incidence only but The New One’s defeats have always seemed to come when he is stepping away from races where he has been odds on or very short.

I see that William Hills are going 5/1 The New One this morning. That looks a worry to me after he was largely rock solid at 3/1 for so long.

Faugheen is very strong at around 11/10 this morning whilst some of the other favourites have looked a bit uneasy.

The New One and Jezki are very much respected but Faugheen should win it in my opinion and might win well.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

The True One!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

And not a hint of 4/6!

Give it time.

I thought he was meant to go 4/6 as soon as Ruby picked him

Well , he didn’t go 4/6 but he did go odds on :good: What a horse ! Never in doubt . 😉

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

I never warmed to Jezki last year and it is taking more of a leap of faith from his fans to see him come good in the Champion Hurdle. He’s got plenty to prove for me and I think 9/2, as he is with one firm, is a joke price.

I’ll lay him all day.

Where now for Jezki?

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

He IS a machine

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Nigel Twiston-Davies has said he’s at a loss to describe The New One’s effort.

Maybe the horse just isn’t as good as he thought/thinks.

It sounds like he will be back to give it another go next year but I am finding it hard to see how he’s going to fare any better another year on, with Arctic Fire and Douvan likely to be lively contenders in 2016.

I’d probably be thinking about going chasing. He’s not been the best of hurdlers but novice chasing should see him able to go at a bit easier pace and perhaps show the obstacles more respect.

I just can’t see him winning the Champion Hurdle now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Nigel Twiston-Davies has said he’s at a loss to describe The New One’s effort.

Maybe the horse just isn’t as good as he thought/thinks.

It sounds like he will be back to give it another go next year but I am finding it hard to see how he’s going to fare any better another year on, with Arctic Fire and Douvan likely to be lively contenders in 2016.

I’d probably be thinking about going chasing. He’s not been the best of hurdlers but novice chasing should see him able to go at a bit easier pace and perhaps show the obstacles more respect.

I just can’t see him winning the Champion Hurdle now.

Fair to say, the new one ran pretty much to form. On a line through Jezki, he has run as well as last year and as well as he has been running all year. The one I was very impressed with the Arctic Fire, looks progressive and the slow pace isnt made for his style of finishing strongly but ultimately the winner won cosily.

SHL

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9063

I’m chuffed to bits with Arctic Fires performance today; I don’t have a lot of confidence, betting wise, these days but I really fell for this fellah when I saw him race earlier in the season. Horses that work their way through the ranks, as it were, must be very tough.

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Fair play joe with your assessment of the new one. Bang on for a while now

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2866

Fair play joe with your assessment of the new one. Bang on for a while now

Yes did think this myself but thanks to Joe and Steve C’s analysis of The New One I didn’t even think about him as a possible winner this year. What now for Faugheen with the improving Arctic Fire and possibly Douvan for next year’s CH?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6125

Thanks, KSS and Homer. I feel for the poor horse as much as I do for Cue Card. There is something quite obviously wrong with both of them, which can be seen from their demeanour when racing. From the outset today, TNO was carrying his head to the right, a trait that’s become increasingly obvious the worse his form has got.

Sam got off and reportedly said ‘He just didn’t feel right’ Oh yeah? A bit late to be discovering that. Trainers are optimists by nature, but some choose to delude themselves and just hope for the best.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Fantastic performance from Faugheen…did what a lot were saying….jumped and travelled superbly and was just too good…wasnt a believer before and needed to see that first…looks top drawer though no doubt! Hard to know what to make of The New One…was very disappointing I thought he was a bit better than that? Having said that though you could run the race another ten times and result would be same…cracking effort from Arctic Fire and the fly too….well done all who called it right…

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

Terrific winner but it would have been interesting if they had gone a decent pace. I think the winner would have still won but I think the placings may have been different. Surprising JP didn’t run a pace maker!!

Viewing 13 posts - 188 through 200 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.