The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 790

What a race we could have next year!

Our Connor, The Fly, Rock On Ruby, My Tent or Yours perhaps even the New One

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

I agree but i take out ROCK ON RUBY that go chasing next year i hope it does i think it win arkle

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I don’t know what is going to win, but think My Tent Or Yours will finish second. Next year could well see him touring the country’s racecourses doing his Harchibald impersonation.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

at the moment our conor is easily the most exciting young hurdler around. love the way he jumps. the new one and my tent or yours have similar speed, but this one is a natural leper.

has the dreaded 5 year old stat to overcome though! :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

2014 looks like being the best renewal for many a year. Hurricane Fly is the best Champion since Istabraq. Rock On Ruby and possibly Grandouet (suspect Zarkandar might go up in trip if connections believe BB not 100%). But it’s the novices that really excite me.

My Tent Or Yours will be stronger next year and Newbury form is (imo) better than Tuesday’s second. Although even so the time was brilliant and the best Supreme I’ve seen.

The New One showed a tremendous turn of foot, to sprint away in a slowly run race; shows he is something special.

Then came Our Conor! Wow! To run away with what looked beforehand an above average Triumph, truly exceptional.

I’ve already backed all three novices to win the 2014 Champion!

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Yeah I agree Ginger, already looks like it could be a cracker. How do you rate Jezki’s chance? In my opinion he looks like a horse who will improve with another year on his back. Already looking forward to seeing him running against Hurrucane Fly in the Morgiana.

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Don’t think the Triumph bunch look much this year, including Our Conor. Also as previously mentioned has the 5-y-old stat against him. Will be with THe New One next year, looks some machine!

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

Astonished by that See You Then mate, that you don’t think Our Conor
    is up to much. I agree he may have beaten little (remains to be seen) but still. The visual impression at least it seems to me, was undeniably breathtaking.

If you aren’t impressed by that it’s hard to think what might, that just looked the absolute dogs bollocks to me :shock:

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

TNW :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

My Tent or Yours clearly did not like the hill, so he isn’t winning a Champion Hurdle.

Our Conor, Grandouet and The New One the shortlist.

But The New One would be my ideal type to go novice chasing next year if I owned him.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

Originally they were going to go novice chasing with The New One (I’m sure they will at some point) but I think after he won the Neptune so easily they are now going to have a crack at the champion.

Tactics could play a part next year if they all line up.Champagne Fever (who by the way should not be underestimated, he’s won two races at the festival already) will likely set a fast pace like he did in the Supreme.

Bryan Cooper will most likely sit a few lengths off him on Our Conor like he did in the Triumph, and I can see his cruising speed being decisive as he gets first run, kicks clear and the others don’t catch him.

Simples 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Yes, some tremendous prospects have come to the table.

What we know for sure is that some of them will fall by the wayside between now and then which is the nature of the game.

Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health and roll on 2013/14 season !

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

Yeah I agree Ginger, already looks like it could be a cracker. How do you rate Jezki’s chance? In my opinion he looks like a horse who will improve with another year on his back. Already looking forward to seeing him running against Hurrucane Fly in the Morgiana.

Certainly see Jezki being a danger to Hurricane Fly THM. Quality of third place good enough to win the Supreme almost any other year. However, isn’t very big and (imo) lacks the scope for further improvement of Our Conor, The New One and My Tent Or Yours. Having said that, Jezki is available at much bigger and 16/1 looks fair value at this stage. If I had a fourth bet in the Champion it would be Jezki; so wouldn’t put you off an ante-post bet THM.

Champagne Fever may be another to step up next year. But stable companion of current Champion hurdler – is a big beast and suspect he’ll go chasing.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Be very careful if thinking of backing Jezki ante-post. Two of his brothers (Jenari and Jered) died only a few years into their careers.

Long-term soundness is evidently not a strong quality in this family.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Hurricane Fly no where near the standard at all of Istabraq, only reason he won cause Darlan wasn’t there who given the Doncaster run was all over 2nd and 3rd. Also Istabraq has ran two of the fastest Champion Hurdles ever and Hurricane Fly was no where near that on his 2011 run think it was 5 seconds slower, he is most certainly beatable and think Rock On Ruby would beat him most times if they raced on good, if I was Harry Fry I’d keep Rock On Ruby in the Champion picture. Would only back Hurricane Fly on soft or worse next year.

Our Conor was certainly impressive but I’d like to see him on good ground before getting involved with him, plus the 4 year old British form as always looked muddling.

To be honest I would be avoiding all ante post on this race until probably next year. The New One or My Tent Or Yours would probably be the preferred choice.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Grandouet is going to Punchestown to meet Hurricane Fly. Connections will then decide whether to stay hurdling or go novice chasing. Personally, I would keep him hurdling no matter what happens. He is an appalling jumper of hurdles, so would be a brave man’s ride over fences. :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

My Tent or Yours would have won the Supreme had the race been run over the Champion Hurdle course and 10/1 is great value, The New One looks sure to go for Champion Hurdle and is a Big Danger, Our Connor could also be a leading player but I think the price of 5/1 is too skinny to get involved.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.