The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2012

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 340

Both Hurricane Fly and Big Bucks could well win in a hack canter, but I honestly believe we haven’t seen the end of Binocular, and I’m sure Oscar Whisky could be as good a horse as Big Bucks.
    Hurricane Fly is clearly a class horse but he hasn’t had to race against a former champ at what is obviously is his best course and distance. Binocular will be the first horse to get the Fly off the bridle come March, then we’ll see how good he really is.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

That’s the thing about Hurricane Fly though, he doesn’t seem to have a ‘best course and distance’. It all comes the same to him: Punchestown, Leopardstown, Cheltenham, Auteuil, 2m, 2m4f…good ground or soft ground. He seems to be the ultimate hurdler.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Imp Call: Apologies, i was watching the wrong horse, will have to review again :roll:

As I said though if HF turns up I agree he will take all the beating but am still adamant Zarkandar could be the dark horse of the season

Arightgoodyoke
    • Total Posts 24

Hurricane fly will be another year older. Which in my eyes makes him more open to problems fitness wise,Zarkandar s proved the course is no problem to him and will be prepared this season with this race as his main aim. Plus nicholls said last year he thinks he’s there own little hurricane fly so I think if he holds him in such high regard, I think he knows a good horse when he sees one plus the stable looks too be hacking up everywhere already this season.
    Nice treble I had today

Al ferof 10/1 arkle
    Zarkandar 10/1 champ hurdle
    Hinterland 8/1 triumph

£10 ew

• Total Posts 1533

I’ve been going over all the novice races last season in the hope I could find a horse who may well win this if something goes amiss with Hurricane Fly.

Spirit Son looks obvious but I’d be more inclined to opt for Grandouet.

He’s always been a high class animal and although on the book he has a bit to find to even run in a Champion Hurdle I was really impressed with him the other day.

Celestial Halo on his day is a top class animal and there;s no argument that PN’s horses are running out of their skin.

The way Granduet was absolutely toying with him before hitting the deck yet again was enough to make me think he may well be just coming of age. He has a remarkable high cruising speed and if he can match that with a bit of extra toe as he develops this will be some machine.

The fact he’s officially still only a 4yo makes that all the more remarkable he could do that to Celestial halo as most horses don’t improve to Champion Hurdle class until they are 6yo’s.

I think this horse will end up Nicky’s main hope for the race and at 25/1 or thereabouts I’ll be backing him ew in the hope I’m right.

• Total Posts 638

I don’t think there is anything with the profile to give HF a real fright (betting without physical problems).
    Oscars Well, Oscar Whisky and Thousand Stars(seriously hampered and should have been 3rd last year) were the only ones that appealed for the forecast, so to speak.
    From long range this looks like just enjoying Willie’s little champ…he has a pretty full season planned for him Morgiana, Istabraq (Christmas Leopardstown), Irish Champion Hrdle, Champion Hurdle, Punchestown.
    With that schedule published by WM then he must be in good heart. Hope he remains unbeaten.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

As a Zarkandar fan (backed him last season twice and have already got 16s EW for the CH) i am seriously looking at backing Brampour EW at 25s!

This horse was working far better than Zarkandar last season (from Paul Nicholls stable tour) but could not translate that form to his races! However, the Ditcheat ‘breathing op’ has worked wonders and this lad could turn out to be very good!

One for the notebook from the Greatwood was David O’Mearas Viva Colonia who ran on very strongly and should be backed upped in distance NTO. 8)

• Total Posts 638

…he has a pretty full season planned for him Morgiana, Istabraq (Christmas Leopardstown), Irish Champion Hrdle, Champion Hurdle, Punchestown.
    With that schedule published by WM then he must be in good heart. Hope he remains unbeaten.

Hurricane misses the Morgiana….’the best laid plans of mice and men, gang aft agley’

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Is there any further news on Hurricane Fly or is the trainer merely changing his plans? For me the horse is obviously so fragile that must be a big worry!

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Given his past history risky business having an ante-post punt on the favourite and I wouldn’t be feeling that happy if I was on Zarkandar either.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

After today, think Grandouet is one to stay on side of at 14s.

Arightgoodyoke
    • Total Posts 24

With grandouet winning in such style think the form for zarkankar is working out very good seen as they’ve meet twice and Zarkandar won both times, granted grandouet was going to make a real race of it at aintree before been brought down, but saying that he dumped sticky arse geraghty out when seemingly cruising to victory the other week, so with that in mind and hurricane fly looking a tough one for Mullins to get fit Zarkandar seems the best option.

• Total Posts 1533

Granduoet took a tiny step closer to proving me right that he could end up as the main danger to Hurricane Fly come March.

He absolutely oozed class yesterday when routing a half decent feild in the same race Binocular won a couple of seasons ago.

AP did nothing more then tap him on the back of his neck with his knuckles and he took off like a rocket. Like Hurricane Fly he has an electrifying turn of foot and he travels like a dream. His jumping needs to improve but he’s heading the right way and looks much stronger than last season

Being a 4 yo there’s not a lot of choice according to Nicky so the next step will be the acid test as he intends sending him for the Bula Hurdle while Binocular goes for the Xmas Hurdle.

Can’t wait to see how he gets on. If he can win the Bula you can say goodbye to double figures for the Champion Hurdle. I notice Ginger grabbed some 16/1 so he’s not as daft as I thought :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

NJH suggested in an interview that Grandouet might do best at top level on a flat track.

I backed Zarkandar after this year’s festival (runner-up achieved the rare feat of beating the Breeders Cup Turf winner). Zarkandar could be anything though I don’t like to hear of breathing ops.

Hurricane Fly’s a class act but his physical problems (mostly splints) have been well documented – he’s not one to be backing at a short price though will take all the beating if he turns up.

There might be some EW value to be had in his stablemate Thousand Stars after today’s easy Morgiana victory. Earlier in the thread Danny mentions he’s had some 33s and that now looks particularly good value though P Power still offer 20s about the grey (he’s half that price with VC).

Thousand Stars is a most unusual horse in that he seems to be coming to his best now – after 46 races: he started today with an official rating of 164, I suspect he will go up 3lbs or so. In June 09, his rating was 110.

All ground comes the same to him and he’s effective over a number of trips – two signs of a very good horse. If for some reason HF doesn’t turn up for the CH, he’ll make an able deputy. The smaller fly in the ante-post ointment is that he’s now second fav for the World Hurdle. Who knows where the improvement will end?

• Total Posts 1533

Actually! he going to the Bula Hurdle to find out, now he’s a bit older and stronger, if he can put up as good a performance at Cheltenham as he did on Saturday. As the man said there’s no sense in waiting until March.

If he does show a dislike for the course this time then he’ll be kept for Aintree I would imagine but if he hacks up then look out Hurricane Fly.

Newbury for the Schweppes/Tote Gold Trophy in between times?

Nicky’s a great supporter of the race being a bit of an old timer and Grandouet would take some beating if he did go.

Won The Betfair, win The Bula, The Tote Gold Trophy, The Champion Hurdle not a bad season I suppose :mrgreen:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

BINOCULAR for me at 12/1 is my tip in race

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

As a Zarkandar fan (backed him last season twice and have already got 16s EW for the CH) i am seriously looking at backing Brampour EW at 25s!

This horse was working far better than Zarkandar last season (from Paul Nicholls stable tour) but could not translate that form to his races! However, the Ditcheat ‘breathing op’ has worked wonders and this lad could turn out to be very good!

One for the notebook from the Greatwood was David O’Mearas Viva Colonia who ran on very strongly and should be backed upped in distance NTO. 8)

I too think Brampour is EW value – there’s a fir bit to come from him judging by his Greatwood victory. I’m always a wee bit wary of horses with breathing ops because the op can lose its effect either quickly or over time. I wonder if that is why PFN is going to keep Zarkandar in cotton wool for so long?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 323 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.