The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CAUTION ADVISED

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips CAUTION ADVISED

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Well quite happy with that Steve :) even though he didn’t win 3rd at 10/1 gave me back 2/1 place better than backing the favourite.
    Always wary of horses that only have AW form and Voyageofdiscovery looked very one paced in that race. Think Old Guard will improve for the run and the first three just clear of the rest. Brilliant front running display from the winner.

Good luck with Nissaki Kasti in the last and future dabblings into the unknown 8) Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

1000 Guineas and time to take the favourite on. Despite reservations regarding the trip, I’ll chance Lucky Kristale as she has beaten Rizeena already and is more lightly raced. Given decent ground and any improvement she’ll surely be there until the vital final furlong.

1000 Guineas Lucky Kristale 2pt 10/1 Ladbrokes

-12pts

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Over to Warwick on Thursday for the less than famous George and Irene Ruby Anniversary Handicap.

A race that won’t take a lot of winning and I’m taking on early favourite Incurs Four Faults with the Hughie Morrison trained Nissaki Kasta. She made a decent start when third to Richard Hannon’s Cape Wrath but never went on the next twice. The ground was heavy at Salisbury on her second start and her third run was on the all weather. The good ground tomorrow may help and with Jimmy Fortune up she could be a modicum of class in a modest race.

Warwick 5.45 Nissaki Kasta 3pts win 10/3 Bet 365

No joy, spotted the bad favourite but to no avail.

It’s a long season. Thank Christ!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Good looking card at Sandown tomorrow and a couple of John Gosden favourites who will be popular. Also a weak looking Telescope as far as the betting is concerned with a drift from Evs to 13/8 within the last 24hrs. Probably no value there and best left watched.

Henry Candy seems in decent fettle but his Charles Molson looks skinny to me at as low as 5/2 in the sprint handicap at 3.50

I’ll take a chance on the Richard Fahey trained Pushkin Museum with Ryan Moore up. He’s only been on the all weather thus far but it seems feasible he could improve for tackling "real" ground and at 15/2 it seems an ominous price to get back to break even after a sticky start.

3.50 Sandown Friday Pushkin Museum 2pts win 15/2 Bet Victor

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Over to Warwick on Thursday for the less than famous George and Irene Ruby Anniversary Handicap.

A race that won’t take a lot of winning and I’m taking on early favourite Incurs Four Faults with the Hughie Morrison trained Nissaki Kasta. She made a decent start when third to Richard Hannon’s Cape Wrath but never went on the next twice. The ground was heavy at Salisbury on her second start and her third run was on the all weather. The good ground tomorrow may help and with Jimmy Fortune up she could be a modicum of class in a modest race.

Warwick 5.45 Nissaki Kasta 3pts win 10/3 Bet 365

No joy, spotted the bad favourite but to no avail.

It’s a long season. Thank Christ!

That was a tricky race Steve and even so not bad result for EW punters and the fav was behind him.
    The only thing that would have made me go for the winner in that race was her breeding Holy Roman Emperor out of a Zafonic mare kick kick :roll: It reminded me that Richard Hannon’s 25/1 winner Magnus Maximus who won at Newmarket last Wednesday was out of HRE out of a Galileo mare..I’m keeping an eye out for that sort of breeding this year in hard to fathom races. 8)

Re 1000 Guineas..I’m a great Lucky Kristale fan too and also for some reason still think Vorda is going to run big race in the 1000 Guineas.
    She is such a genuine filly and has already beaten 3 or 4 when winning the Chevely Park last year and only ran Xllence to a shd in France just caught close home and well ahead of Miss France.

Good luck tomorrow Steve :wink: Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Can I add my Good luck wishes too Steve,I like the title for starters but ‘exposing’ yourself in public isn’t suited to those with little to offer so you should be fine! :wink: I like your Ante-Post style and there’s always a twist of humour in your posts so I’ll be a reader for sure.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Can I add my Good luck wishes too Steve,I like the title for starters but ‘exposing’ yourself in public isn’t suited to those with little to offer so you should be fine! :wink: I like your Ante-Post style and there’s always a twist of humour in your posts so I’ll be a reader for sure.

I’ll probably need all the luck in the world Gord.

I exposed myself in public before and was fined £500. I didn’t mind the fine but it hurt the ego to be charged in a juvenile court :wink:

This Telescope is out from evens to 5/2 today and the Godolphin horse looks very short now. Just a race to watch for me.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Good looking card at Sandown tomorrow and a couple of John Gosden favourites who will be popular. Also a weak looking Telescope as far as the betting is concerned with a drift from Evs to 13/8 within the last 24hrs. Probably no value there and best left watched.

Henry Candy seems in decent fettle but his Charles Molson looks skinny to me at as low as 5/2 in the sprint handicap at 3.50

I’ll take a chance on the Richard Fahey trained Pushkin Museum with Ryan Moore up. He’s only been on the all weather thus far but it seems feasible he could improve for tackling "real" ground and at 15/2 it seems an ominous price to get back to break even after a sticky start.

3.50 Sandown Friday Pushkin Museum 2pts win 15/2 Bet Victor

A pitiful effort on his first start for Richard Fahey but I don’t think he liked the ground much. Ecclestone was a topical winner with namesake Bernie on Bribery charges in Germany at the moment. Maybe I can get Bernie to bribe some jockeys and find a winner. On the bright side I found another overnight fav (Charles Molson) who drifted badly and was unplaced

-17pts

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Over to Leicester Saturday where I will be interested in how John Gosden’s Eagle Top gets on. He’s odds on in a Handicap though and that can be a recipe for disaster, so I wouldn’t touch that race.

The opener sees a Roger Charlton trained, Richard Hughes ridden maiden head the betting in a handicap. 7/2 for a three time placed horse looks a bit skinny to me though and although the stable/jockey are a potent combo I want to try one at a bigger price.

The horse who catches my eye is Argot, who has run once and won when 16/1 and seemingly unfancied. Surely open to further improvement, he will have to concede fitness to those already raced this season. The A.Carson/W.Carson combination has had a few winners this past few weeks and at 7/1 they look worth a go, despite being some of the lesser lights plying their trade.

2.00 Leicester Saturday Argot 2pts win 7/1 (BV/PP)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Decent effort from Argot. Outpaced early he stayed on well for third. Still looked a bit green to me and is a scopey sort who was probably not helped by coming on the side which seemed less favoured. A mile should be his trip on this showing. Original favourite Dark Leopard was unplaced.

Wise to avoid Eagle Top also, as he drifted out to 6/4 and was only 4th. The Gosden fever has been overplayed since Kingman appeared and when I actually got a good look at the horse today he looked small and lacked the scope I was led to believe he possessed.

-19pts

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Best of luck Stevie! One of my fav contributors – looking forward to reading your thoughts.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Cheers Joni, No luck yet but every opening fav I’ve gone against has lost so far.

Over to Ireland tomorrow and the 3.35 at Gowran. Early odds have Mizzava as fav in places with Exotic also thereabouts. I am expecting Dermot Weld’s I’m Yours to go off fav by flagfall and as the only 3yo against her elders she gets a handy looking stone less on her back. She was beaten fav last time behind a couple of Ballydoyle Classic entries but was reported to need the race and the ground was soft that day but is currently given as good for tomorrow. The Weld stable is going well and landed the race last season. They had a nice looking winner today with Afternoon Sunlight and with fav Missava only an 8 grand maiden winner I feel that 7/2 is a good price for I’m Yours. Exotic won her only start but the ground was heavy on that occasion and the stable has been slow to get going, hence the preference for the Weld/Smullen team.

3.35 Gowran Sunday I’m Yours 4pts win 7/2 Paddy Power

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Cheers Joni, No luck yet but every opening fav I’ve gone against has lost so far.

Over to Ireland tomorrow and the 3.35 at Gowran. Early odds have Mizzava as fav in places with Exotic also thereabouts. I am expecting Dermot Weld’s I’m Yours to go off fav by flagfall and as the only 3yo against her elders she gets a handy looking stone less on her back. She was beaten fav last time behind a couple of Ballydoyle Classic entries but was reported to need the race and the ground was soft that day but is currently given as good for tomorrow. The Weld stable is going well and landed the race last season. They had a nice looking winner today with Afternoon Sunlight and with fav Missava only an 8 grand maiden winner I feel that 7/2 is a good price for I’m Yours. Exotic won her only start but the ground was heavy on that occasion and the stable has been slow to get going, hence the preference for the Weld/Smullen team.

3.35 Gowran Sunday I’m Yours 4pts win 7/2 Paddy Power

Well I finally lost my virginity on this thread with a cosy enough winner. Looked like the ground had gone against her but she coped OK. Mizzava took a walk in the betting out to 6/1 but was then well supported leaving I’m Yours at decent odds.

With the original fav unplaced and the O’Brien horse tailed off at 10/3 I have to be very pleased with that result.

-5pts

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

With nothing inspiring looking in the British fields on Monday it’s back to the Emerald Isle and Naas for a bet.

Earlier on the card Aiden O’Brien fields some well bred two year olds, including War Envoy, who holds an entry in The Phoenix Stakes later in the season. He’ll probably be well short in the betting with the stable having an easy winner last week in the form of The Great War by the same sire War Front.

Later on the card we have another O’Brien horse who is marginal favourite, as a twice raced three year old taking on older sprinters. For sure he’s way the least exposed and open to by far the most potential improvement but he

will

have to improve and overcome a fitness disadvantage over a trip he has not tried yet. He ran twice over 6f on good ground last season, winning his maiden before being beaten at odds on in listed company next time. With him making his seasonal debut over 5F against seasoned sprinters I want to take him on with Maarek, who I think would be favourite if he hadn’t run disappointingly when favourite last time. The ground was really heavy that day though and although Maarek likes cut I would easily overlook having a bad day on bad ground. He is well exposed but he is decent, being a l’Abbaye winner and a record of 4 from 6 over 5f suggest that this is his best trip. He won the race last year on his only run at the track and I can’t see what’s not to like about his chances of doing the double. Paddy Power have him a narrow 2nd Fav at 10/3 and that will do for me.

6.55 Naas Monday Maarek 6pts win 10/3 Paddy Power.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Well done with your winner today Steve, keep up the good work there’s some good racing coming up this week. 8) :D

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Despite sweating up quite a bit Guerre showed plenty of speed and coped better than I thought he would with the drop to the minimum trip. He looks like a sprinter to keep an eye on going forward. Another solid race from my pick Maarek in second place, giving a stone to the winner and I’m sure he’ll pick up a nice prize somewhere this season.

A pretty good evening for O’Brien and his fans, with the two year old winner machine starting to fire out some short priced maiden successes and confidence behind Australia will no doubt build on the back of it.

:(

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Well done with your winner today Steve, keep up the good work there’s some good racing coming up this week. 8) :D

Thanks Jac, It looks a good week of racing but I think I’ll leave Punchestown out of it and stick to the flat.

With the Lady Cecil first time out winner

Equitable

sure to be popular in handicap company on his second start it was no surprise to see him made favourite for the 3.05 at Yarmouth tomorrow. 2/1 is pretty skinny though, given that it was not much of a race he won last time. With Gosden and Fahey runners in opposition life won’t be easy for him but my eye was taken to an area it doesn’t usually find reliable and that is the runner of Mark Johnston,

Crowdmania

. The top weight seemed on the up this season winning three races and being short head second in the other. Not great races and they were on the all weather but it pointed to improvement from last year. I thought he was unwisely tried in hotter company last time in the Tattersalls race at Newmarket won by Magnus Maximus, where the better company and inadequate 6f seemed to be all against him and it didn’t help that he dwelt at the start. Back in a handicap and running over 2f further I’ll take a punt at 9/1 that he may bounce back. The Gosden horse ran a bit disappointingly last time and the Fahey horse is making his seasonal debut, so looks short at as low as 7/2.

Strictly speaking 9/1 should be each way material, but for me Johnston is usually boom or bust so it’s 2pt on the nose.

Good luck to all those having a go at Punchestown this week!

3.05 Yarmouth Tuesday Crowdmania 2pt 9/1 (available several firms)

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 276 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.