The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Campaign for a three-day Festival

Home Forums Horse Racing Campaign for a three-day Festival

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I rather like how things have panned out.

12 months of expectation means that everyone gets far too excited come the first day and (metaphorically, I hope) shoots their load prematurely. I didn’t do that, but I did get far too p1ssed and would have been like the Living Dead there today.

Instead, I get time to regroup, stock up and enjoy the last two days to the full, with my first-day exuberance out of my system. There are always plenty of "cultural activities" to engage in in Cheltenham for those who have pitched their tents there for the whole week.

So, how about having a Festival that takes place on Tuesday (9 races), Thursday (8 races) and Friday (8 races) as a matter of course hereafter?

You know it makes sense!

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

No doubt still celebrating your Captain Cee Bee winnings whilst at the same time cursing Davy Russell for taking the scenic route on New Alco!!

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I would welcome other people’s views on the New Alco situation. I’m not sure I could see straight by that point, but I suspect I could still have ridden a more tactically astute race than Mr Russell……

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I wouldn’t mind Cheltenham going back to being a three day meeting.

The extension to 4 days has taken away something. I expect a Chletenham winner to be special some of these race are full of fairly moderate animals.

3 days 6 races per day enough IMO…9 races in one day is beyond the human minds capacity we’d all be going do-wally by the 7th and betting things that we would be wondering why we did it next day………way too long a day IMO

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

I don’t know what all the hoo-ha about Rusells ride on New Alco is for. The horse jumped the second last badly and lost its position just as they were quickening which forced him 4 wide into the straight. Once in the straight the horse lugged to the right all the way up the hill and the jockey had his whip in the correct hand to get him back left again. Look closely at the head on, its all there.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I backed New Alco EW at a big price so if anyone should moan itt’s me but no way. Davy Russell rode a brilliant race on the horse. He put him to sleep conserved his energy and brought him there bang on. He was sitting right behind L’ami despite not jumping the third last very well and came there spot on at the second last. Unfortunately the horse skewd a bit and lost his momentum and he lost acouple of precious lengths…….just one of these things he may well have won but for that he may not have, but I couldn’t blame him………excellent ride form an excellent jockey IMO

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

I think it was a brilliant move by the jockey that might have won him the race.

An Accordian has more ability than his results suggests. He idles badly when in front. If he sees another horse he goes again. With another 10lbs he might still have won.

However, had a horse been good enough to come wide at him, we might have seen a different result. New Alco was not good enough to do it.

I did think New Alco was hit a lot up the hill though.

Ginge

value is everything
    the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I would welcome other people’s views on the New Alco situation. I’m not sure I could see straight by that point, but I suspect I could still have ridden a more tactically astute race than Mr Russell……

hmmmmm……..I suspect you would have fallen off over the first fence…..if you’d have made it that far. And if you have talents unknown to me, and I am wrong in that assessment, the 4 stone overweight would have done him anyway.

:P

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I am in favour of a 3 day festival.

3 days of 7 races with only the cross country race to be kept as i truly believe it is a quality race and could be tied in with a bonus with the La Touche cup at Punchestown.

grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

Much preferred three days. The new format offers too many options and has resulted in many of the existing races being badly weakened. It’s a nightmare backing antepost as well.
    :?
    The old format was perfect with almost all of the twenty races distinct and packed with quality. The one exception perhaps being the Cathcart.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

New format (not this weeks…..) is fine

If you go there, 6 races on any one day is enough and stretching it out has lessened the crush marginally

I had some doubts but im convinced now

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Who knows, after the next two days we may be clamouring for a two day festival with nine races each day.

grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

Can’t get away from the fact that races now have much less depth.

Bartlett race has had a negative impact on Ballymore Properties
    Jewson has had a negative impact on MoF and Sun Alliance
    Ryanair as G1 has weakened G Cup, QMC Ch and perhaps NH Hcap Ch
    Fred Winter has wrecked Triumph H

The NH Hcap Ch was the weakest festival hcap field I’ve ever seen.

And now we have a pointless mares race detracting from the Stayers and Coral Cup.

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 213

I don’t like the 4-day format myself, but I’ve stopped whingeing about it. It’s here to stay, the clock will not be turned back. We all have to accept it, and move on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.