The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

International Hurdle 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion International Hurdle 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1382

Yes; I know that it’s the Unibet International Hurdle these days, but to me the Paddy Power is still the Mackeson; the Ladbrokes Trophy is still the Hennessy and the Bet 365 Gold Cup is still the Whitbread. Sue me.

Goshen has to be the most overrated hurdler around at the moment: average, at best on the flat; won egg and spoon races last year; would have won the Triumph, granted, but against a Z list cast.

Sceau Royal and Verdana Blue won’t go on the ground; Ch’tibello is a reliable place option; Silver Streak is another solid yardstick; I could beat most of the rest.

The exception is Song For Someone. Likely to be given an uncontested lead, and proven over further, he strikes me as a very solid each way bet at current odds and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he made all.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

A ‘z list’ cast seems a fairly harsh description of the Triumph. Allmankind was in the mix that day. They went extremely hard from the front and that slit a lot of throats, although Goshen kept on at that pace and would’ve been an immense winner.

He wouldn’t be a personal fancy of mine for the Champion Hurdle at this stage (I’d like to be wrong), although I wouldn’t be altogether surprised if he was in the mix come March.

Personally I think he’ll have his work cut out for him Saturday given the way he runs and that an in form and race fit Song For Someone will be up there moidering him. I’d expect him to take a blow and empty somewhat up the hill with the Symonds horse seeing it out better. Hopefully he’ll come on a bundle anyway. The 2 mile hurdle division needs competition.

@TomBarkley87

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

Just to be clear it’s not the form of the Triumph I was standing behind there, it was the merit of the run I believe deserved recognition :good:

@TomBarkley87

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2699

that Z list cast featured a grade 1 winning novice chaser and a grade 2 winning hurdler

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1382

“that Z list cast featured a grade 1 winning novice chaser and a grade 2 winning hurdler”

Grade One status does not necessarily mean Grade One quality.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2699

They are clearly useful horses though.

And Goshen was going to beat them by half a furlong.

Personally I will at least give him an opportunity to prove otherwise before calling him overrated.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

I wont be taking on Goshen this weekend. Not after Allmankind’s and Aspire Tower’s exploits this season. I’ll just watch to see if he shows that Triumph Hurdle magic.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16447

I really like the look of Song For Someone, very promising type, but I’ll be with Ballyandy here if his price hold after Final Decs.

I think 7’s is fair, but at that price I’ll happily wait.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

Chtibello I can see outrunning his odds here. I considered ew, but I’ll go for the win.

Another free bet as well.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16447

Old favourite of mine Spoon, but never got too lucky with him.

Pleased I waited with Ballyandy, as I can get 9’s now, but flip side is that it looks a decent renewal. Haven’t bet yet, but for all it’s not really a great EW price, Skybet are doing four places.

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

I hope Goshen wins this and wins well. It would be nice to see a top class Champion Hurdle for the first time in a while.

Poseidon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

Can anyone help me understand the weight allotment for each horse in this race. I know weight for age and penalties are applied but id like to know what is applied for each horse.

1. Ballyandy 11-6
    2. Call Me Lord 11-6
    3. Sceau Royal 11-6
    4. Song For Someone 11-6
    5. Summerville Boy 11-6
    6. Silver Streak 11-4
    7. Ch’itbello 11-0
    8. Goshen 11-0
    9. Stormy Ireland 10-11
    10. Verdana Blue 10-7

Now i understand some reasons for example Goshen is a 4 year old so hes in receipt of 6lb. Im assuming the top 5 are all previous graded race winners but then again so is Silver Streak and Ch’itbello so why are they not penalised. Why is Silver Streak only penalised 4lbs. Even the 2 mares have weight differences. So confusing and would really appreciate if someone could run through each horse and state a reason for the weight.

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 555

It would be great for the division if Goshen really can smash the opposition here. But it is often hard for the 4 year olds to prove themselves in such a field. So I won’t go for him, but for Silver Streak at 8-1 instead. He has been steadily improving over the last years. Won a good race at Kempton easily in October and carried out by Not so Sleepy in the Fighting Fifth. I think he can be a 160+ horse.

Also added a little EW bet (4 places) on Verdana Blue 20/1. She was disappointing in her last two runs, but if she can bounce back this is a big price.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

If triumph Goshen turns up he,ll win this doing handstands , nothing against song for someone but 5-1 for a horse who has beaten call me lord and a bursting blood vessel laurina has to be the worst value I’ve seen so far this NH season , looking at the e.w market ballyandy is rock solid and is never to far away , I’ll prob have a tickle on stormy Ireland , huge price and I reckon she,ll be a lot happier over hurdles

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 574

Poseidon, I’ve been betting on horses for over 50 years + I still get confused with the weights in these races. I know that there will be somewhere to check this, but I’ve no idea where.

I’ve went for Goshen here. I think that he is too big a price + I think that the flat runs have been overplayed.

I also think that Call Me Lord is too big a price. I’ve taken 18-1 ew with 4 places

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.