The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Buick ban?

Home Forums Horse Racing Buick ban?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    • Total Posts 205

William Buick banned for a total of 15 days under the totting up procedure. Mr Buick had already been suspended for 24 days for interference during the previous 12 months.

What does this say of this jockey’s riding skills?

Is 15-days long enough.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

It doesn’t say anything at all about his riding skills. Lester Piggott was the most talented jockey we’ve ever seen but was banned for longer than William Buick at this stage of his career.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Have you got some statistics to show how many horses are injured as a result of careless riding by young and improving, but relatively inexperienced, flat jockeys, by any chance?

I’m struggling to work out quite what your angle in to horseracing is, Tom, but the numbers you mention clearly show a talented young horseman who still needs to refine the finer points of his craft.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

"Refined"?

Not apparently learning from his mistakes.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I think Tom’s right on this one.

Hell, why do we bother with this ‘apprenticeship’ caper, anyway? Shouldn’t we just throw these young lads on a horse and let them get on with it. I mean, how hard can it be?

William Buick is one of the most successful and promising young riders in the country, and is riding against the biggest and best practically week-in, week-out these days. Given the highly competitive nature of the sport at that level, I’m sure just a cautious eye on Buick’s disciplinary record in the next few years would suffice, instead of pushing forward some other agenda by questioning his ability- or is it his ethics, Tom?

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

It probably says he’s trying a little too hard.

Most of the trainers and owners he rides for will be delighted that he is.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

"Refined"?

Not apparently learning from his mistakes.

Or maybe gauging that his ‘mistakes’ are worth the penalty paid for the rewards gained on occasion?

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25883

William Buick banned for a total of 15 days under the totting up procedure. Mr Buick had already been suspended for 24 days for interference during the previous 12 months.

What does this say of this jockey’s riding skills?

Is 15-days long enough.

That the lad is determined, enthusiastic, up for a fight and has a will to win. I’m always happy if the horse I’m looking to back has Buick booked to ride.

Member since March 2008
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.