The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeding Question – Who's your favourite?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Breeding Question – Who's your favourite?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi all, me again.

Sorry for all the posts and fresh questions, I am just trying to get to know you all, as well as being fascinated by all your excellent views on certain topics.

Today’s question is if you could breed any 2 horses, past or present, flat or jumps, to get the ideal racehorse, which 2 horses wouuld you select?

Now I am only a young 33 year old and my earliest memories are from the Dancing Brave era, so I have only got approximately 20 years of horses to sift through. I am sure some of you guys can go much further back in the memory bank and come up with some fascinating combinations.

Because I am such a lover of the national hunt game, I would have to try and produce the ideal horse for this sphere. Ironically, the 2 horses I would select to breed would be from around the same period.

My filly would be that ever so tough mare Dawn Run. She was a remarkable horses with so much heart and guts. She was the first horse (I believe), and probably still the only horse, to win the Enlish, Irish and French Champion Hurdles, telling us all we need to know abut her ability at 2 miles. One of the reasons she captured the hearts of the racing public was her refusal to give in. Her victory in the Cheltenham Gold Cup proved how tough she was, as she was headed after the 2nd last fence, only to get back up on the run in under Jonjo O’Neill. Unfortunately, this great mare died when she was defending her French Champion Hurdle crown (Grande Course de Haies) at Auteuil, when she took a sickening fall and broke her neck.

OK, so from Dawn Run we know we have got a horse that will be speedy enough to win over 2 miles, and tough enough to win over 3 miles, though if there is any doubt about the stamina of our horse, then who better to breed Dawn Run with than the brilliant Desert Orchid.

Little can be said about Dessie that hasn’t already been said and isn’t already known by you guys. Dessie was simply amazing. As soon as he was switched to fences his career took off. He had the speed to win a Victor Chandler and a Tingle Creek over 2 miles, and the stamina and class to win an Irish National over 3m4f and The Whitbread over 3m5f. His love affair with Kempton and in particular the The King George will live long in the history books. He won that race 4 times and was 2nd once, and to top it all, Dessie won the 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup. He was an extravagant jumper who could do it from the front and from sitting off the pace. Desert Orchid recently passed away at the age of 27 and will be missed by many.

So thats my 2 horses to breed. Hopefully they would have produced the perfect race horse. Good enough to win a few Champion Hurdles (at age 5 & 6), An Arkle (at 7), A Queen Mother (at 8 ), The Gold Cup 4 times (at 9, 10, 11 & 12), 5 King Georges, an Irish National and a Grand National <!– s:lol: –>:lol:<!– s:lol: –>

And the name of my horse. DESERT DAWN

All the best,

Mike

psychosis
    • Total Posts 35

On the basis that winning the Triple Crown is something that I’d be going for, you’d have to go with the last two horses to do it – Oh So Sharp and Nijinsky, which would also be feasible given relative ages of the horses.

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

more feasible than poor old dessie who I believe did not have the aparatus to be breeding with anything.

though I realise this is hypothetical and am in no way insulting anyones intelligence.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

more feasible than poor old dessie who I believe did not have the aparatus to be breeding with anything.

though I realise this is hypothetical and am in no way insulting anyones intelligence.

Lol, your right, this is purely hypothetical – maybe even a bit farsical lol

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Archive and Bright Cherry.

Oh, I see that one already HAS produced the greatest ever racehorse. :wink:

In recent times, off the top of my head – probably Nijinsky and Miesque.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’ve only been watching racing for not quite 10 years, so my choice is quite limited. If I were looking to breed the perfect (NH) horse, I’d be looking for a horse that had bags of stamina, but who had a real turn of foot to burst away from his rivals as they approach home. Seeing a horse just push the ‘on’ button and leave the rest in it’s dust is a sight I never get tired of.

For this reason, my fantasy "stallion" would be Istabraq. He travelled like a dream, but could also quicken on and go 6 clear as though it was nothing. The 1998 & 2000 CH’s were truly breathtaking examples of this. A joy to watch at his best, and it frustrates me that I was just a lad when he was in his prime and I couldn’t have seen more of him. However the old boy would not provide the requisite stamina in my dream horse. He may have won a Sun Alliance Hurdle, but really when he was at the top he tended to struggle a bit when put over further than his favourite 2m.

For the mare, I’m going to have to go with Dawn Run also. Not that that’s a bad thing, I just would have liked to be a bit more original, but alas in my time I can’t think of another staying mare that deserves mentioned in the same breath. The 1986 GC is by far and away the greatest race I have ever seen. She was as game as it gets, and Jonjo gave her an immortal ride to get up past Wayward Lad, despite the fact that she looked beaten a good two or three times in the later stages. I think the most impressive fact about the race however was that the time for the race broke the then course record, and Dawn Run had lead or been within a length or two for the duration. I also think the CH, GC double she achieved is the greatest feat by a horse in NH history, mares allowance or not.

Maybe a little question mark over stamina, but certainly a horse bred from these two I would find absolutely captivating to watch. If only such an animal was ever to come along!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’ve only been watching racing for not quite 10 years, so my choice is quite limited. If I were looking to breed the perfect (NH) horse, I’d be looking for a horse that had bags of stamina, but who had a real turn of foot to burst away from his rivals as they approach home. Seeing a horse just push the ‘on’ button and leave the rest in it’s dust is a sight I never get tired of.

For this reason, my fantasy "stallion" would be Istabraq. He travelled like a dream, but could also quicken on and go 6 clear as though it was nothing. The 1998 & 2000 CH’s were truly breathtaking examples of this. A joy to watch at his best, and it frustrates me that I was just a lad when he was in his prime and I couldn’t have seen more of him. However the old boy would not provide the requisite stamina in my dream horse. He may have won a Sun Alliance Hurdle, but really when he was at the top he tended to struggle a bit when put over further than his favourite 2m.

For the mare, I’m going to have to go with Dawn Run also. Not that that’s a bad thing, I just would have liked to be a bit more original, but alas in my time I can’t think of another staying mare that deserves mentioned in the same breath. The 1986 GC is by far and away the greatest race I have ever seen. She was as game as it gets, and Jonjo gave her an immortal ride to get up past Wayward Lad, despite the fact that she looked beaten a good two or three times in the later stages. I think the most impressive fact about the race however was that the time for the race broke the then course record, and Dawn Run had lead or been within a length or two for the duration. I also think the CH, GC double she achieved is the greatest feat by a horse in NH history, mares allowance or not.

Maybe a little question mark over stamina, but certainly a horse bred from these two I would find absolutely captivating to watch. If only such an animal was ever to come along!

Great post Friggo. And the name of your horse would be?

Runabraq?
    Dawnabraq?
    Istirun?
    Istidawn?

:lol:

Mike

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Great post Friggo. And the name of your horse would be?

Runabraq?
    Dawnabraq?
    Istirun?
    Istidawn?

:lol:

Mike

Looking at my first post again and the stamina I’ve bred into it, probably One Man! :wink:

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Rather than choose a selection of horses from the past, my selections are based on the hypothetical situation that I were given the opportunity to breed a horse today.

Stallion: ZAMINDAR

Full brother to Zafonic, he was a good looking, powerful horse who was pretty decent in his own right. He won a Group3 as a 2YO and was very unlucky in he 1997 2,000 guineas when he was given an awful ride. Has already proved a success as a stallion, producing Group1 winners including Zenda and Coronation Stakes third Dajina. Had the speed to win over 6F, but displayed enough to prove he stayed a Mile.

Mare: CATCHASCATCHCAN

Well related and trained by Henry Cecil, she was unbeaten in 4 career starts, culminating with success in the Yorkshire Oaks. Raced exclusively at 12F, she produced to Danzig the much talented, but frustrating, Antonius Pius.

ZAMINDAR – CATCHASCATCHCAN (PURSUIT OF LOVE)

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

If we’re allowed fantasy matings, then although they were about 30 years apart age-wise, I’d go for Domino and Mumtaz Mahal.

If not, then Hyperion and Imperatrice.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

dumb, deleted post.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Westerner to Solerina, and then five French Champion Hurdles before tea.

Offspring to be called ‘Wyatt Earp’

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hellol,

Friuts of Love is still doing well at home, but at the moment, the winners are thin on the ground, however, one of our babies is running this week end will post then…. :wink:

regards,

doyley

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I likes me plodders, as will have been apparent for a while, so I’d like to see the likes of Heltornic, L’Aventure, Mrs Be and Kittenkat all get visited with champers and chocolates by the charming mister Roselier or Lord Americo or Lute Antique or similar.

Should wheedle a few National winners out of those alliances…

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Azamour to Ouija Board – a love match.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.