The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders' Cup expands to 11 races

Home Forums Horse Racing Breeders' Cup expands to 11 races

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

The 1st Breeders’ Cup to be held at Monmouth Park will also be the 1st 2 day BC

3 new $1 Million races have been added. A mile Turf event for 2 year olds. A Mile 3 year old race on the dirt. And a 7 furlong event on the dirt for fillies and mares.

This year the 7 furlong race will be run over 6 and the Mile race will be run over 1 Mile and 70 yards.

Breeders’ Cup appears also be putting up the money for 3 $250,000 races to be held on the Friday.

The card before last years Breeders’ Cup was so poor that I thought they would come up with some changes-but i didnt expect the 2 day meet just yet.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Think the Jerome’s going 7f TS but good points.

The dirt mile doesn’t make sense, the Cigar will likely be run 2 weeks or less after the Breeders Cup Dirt Mile and there’s only 3 top races a year (the other’s at the end of May).  This race seems pointless at this time of year, would be better running this and trying to switch the Cigar Mile to a meet in August.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

Quote: from Irish Stamp on 7:13 pm on Jan. 8, 2007[br]Think the Jerome’s going 7f TS but good points.

The dirt mile doesn’t make sense, the Cigar will likely be run 2 weeks or less after the Breeders Cup Dirt Mile and there’s only 3 top races a year (the other’s at the end of May).  This race seems pointless at this time of year, would be better running this and trying to switch the Cigar Mile to a meet in August.

The Cigar is 4 weeks after the Breeders’ Cup (this year)

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

The juvenile turf race will undoubtedly be of major interest to the key European players one would suspect. Likely to ensure the best go there rather than Doncaster or France.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

The mile on dirt will be really interesting. I would imagine the likes of George Washington and Discreet Cat would have went for it this year.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Think it would just be giving the European horses a fairer chance. Bolger was looking to run Teofilo again after his Dewhurst run except the ground was too soft…Teofilo in the States would have been fantastic!

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Think the two day meet may ruin it a little (although ive found it quite a let down in the last couple of years).

The mile race on turf would be very interesting for our juveniles though.

Agree with the cheltenham comment though, less is more.

Where is it this year, anyway? Pimlico?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I don’t think you can compare it to Cheltenham as the Saturday is completely unchanged and undiluted.

The Friday would normally be a decent day with $100,000 Stakes but this just makes it a really good day and they are building it up like the Oaks has built up on the Friday before Kentucky Derby.

The Juvenile Mile on turf should be interesting for us although it may hurt some European races.  

There will also be a $250,000 race for 2yo fillies on turf which may have suited a filly like Satulagi last year.

The Mile on Dirt fits in well and will come well before the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct.  Prep races for it may include the Grade 1  King’s Bishop/Forego at Saratoga and Pat O’Brien (Gr.2) at Del Mar (all over 7) and Jerome (Gr.2) at Belmont Park (over 8).   It may well have given Coolmore the opportunity to test George Washington on the dirt over a trip that suited him.

It will certainly give Monmouth Park, in New Jersey, who are hosting their first Breeders’ Cup a thorough run-through before Saturday.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

I think expanding the event is a good idea but wonder if it was a mistake having this expansion at a new BC track and one that isn’t going to allow walk-ins on BC day isn’t a good idea.

I hope they allow walk-ins on the Friday. If their intention is to p**s
    the local fans and community off…..

2 of the 3 new dirt races have to be run at the wrong distance and will the Juvenile Turf attract our top class horses. Last year there was a 3 week gap between Dewhurst and BC-this year it’s 1 week.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Quote: from bigtony on 9:24 pm on Jan. 8, 2007[br]going the same way as cheltenham.less is more<br>

Precisely my thoughts.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

I wondered why we hadn’t hear where the 2008 Breeders’ Cup was going to be held. I think they said that they would announce the venues in batches of 3 but it is about time to announce the 08, 09 and 10 venues.

Especially as they announced this year changes-to an 11 race event.

On Thursday I read that Breeders’ Cup CEO Greg Avioli had told the 31st Asian Racing Conference that he hoped that the 2010 event would be a 16 race $30 Million dollar event.

Today I read that they’ve written to 31 tracks. 20 inside North America and 11 international "clubs" asking for bids for the 08-10 Cups.

I can’t make a list of 20 North American tracks that have the current capibility of hosting the BC and where are the 11 international venues? Hong Kong apparently is the front-runner… Obviously Nad Al Sheba, Tokyo must be up there

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Have I seen some kind of all-weather track on the inside of the main turf course at Flemington?  Might be used for trotting and therefore a "hard" track but certainly looked artificial.  If not Flemington it could have been Rose Hill etc.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Great Leighs? :biggrin:

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Australia is a no go given their quaranteen requirements..

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Would many American horses turn up if they weren’t allowed to run on drugs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.