The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Brave Inca wins again!!!

Home Forums Horse Racing Brave Inca wins again!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 811

Super news about quite a few old favourites – long may they enjoy their new life!! There’s a lovely photo of them too!
    From Racing Post:

There’s a lovely photo of them too!

Brave Inca winner again – at Dublin Horse Show By Tony O’Hehir5.50PM 8 AUG 2009
    CHAMPION HURDLE winner Brave Inca, who was retired from racing in May after an illustrious career, was back in the number one spot in a new role on Saturday when he won the inaugural Racehorse to Riding Horse Class at the Failte Ireland Dublin Horse Show.

The competition, sponsored by Good Food Ireland, attracted 21 entries and was introduced to identify retired racehorses who would make useful and suitable riding horses and the judging of the class was based on the ride, manners and conformation.

Brave Inca, who won ten Grade 1 races as a racehorse, was ridden in the class by Kirsteen Reid, who works at an equestrian centre near trainer Colm Murphy’s County Wexford yard.

Kicking King, the 2005 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, was placed fourth and former dual champion chaser Moscow Flyer was fifth.

Murphy said: "Brave Inca is still in our yard and enjoying his retirement. He had a good day out today and everything went well. I’m sipping champagne and I thought those days were over!"

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

That sounds like a great idea. I’d be quite inclined to go to an Agricultural show to see those old favourites. I’m sure it’d bring a few people through the gates.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

That sounds like a great idea. I’d be quite inclined to go to an Agricultural show to see those old favourites. I’m sure it’d bring a few people through the gates.

Keep an eye out for the many retraining of racehorses classes held up and down the country. former National winners Royal Athlete and Bindaree have appeared in them and there is class for them in Ring 2 at Burghley horse trials on the Sunday of this year’s event (6th September).

It would be nice to have some kind of showing class for former festival winners before racing on one of the days at Cheltenham.

Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 811

What a brill idea!!! Although being back at a racecourse maybe they MIGHT think they are racing again and not be in "riding" horse mode???

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

It would be nice to just see some of our former heroes at Cheltenham again this year…as one of the highlights of my yearly pilgrimage I was pretty miffed to find that they don’t seem to be doing that sort of thing now [cost cutting?].

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

What a brill idea!!! Although being back at a racecourse maybe they MIGHT think they are racing again and not be in "riding" horse mode???

When I’ve seen the old boys parade at Cheltenham they have generally behaved well – those recently retired to the stallino ranks can play up a bit but most of them are ex flat rather then the more mature jumper!

http://www.racehorse2ridinghorse.co.uk/may be of interest to you.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Fine write up in this week’s Horse and Hound with a lovely action shot of Brave Inca in the ring at Ballsbridge last week (page 67) looking for all the world like one of the hunters that have graced that famous ring over the yearrs.

Among them, the 1956 show hunter supreme champion, a horse called Man of War, owned by Tom and Betty Dreaper and ridden by Betty herself. A picture of them in their moment of glory appears in Bryony Fuller’s book "Tom Dreaper and His Horses".

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.