The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

International Hurdle 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion International Hurdle 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Entries here[/url:15j0e0eg]. (Note, the new RP site doesn’t allow direct links to races by virtue of it’s new interface. Clowns.)

I can’t imagine that it’ll last long, but there seems to be a massive difference of opinion between Blue Square and the sponsors on this. The former go just 8/11 about Binocular, whilst Boylesports are 9/4! I was anitcipating around 6/4, so have helped myself to a bit of the latter.

Chomba Womba e/w at the Blue Sq 8/1 also looks a decent bet FWIW.

• Total Posts 70

How can the prices be so different Boylesports only offer 3/1 on Chomba. Think I’l be backing Binocular at 7/4, might take a chance with Serbad at 25s e/w if he runs.

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

is the race this sat?.Does anyone know if CAJ is a intended runner at the mo?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Celestial Halo at 14-1 is potentially a brilliant price and it will be interesting to see if any money comes in for him as IMO there isnt a horse in that line up who could have beaten him at cheltenham in march, same track same ground, same form is the only question but he has the ability to make every yard of this race hurt the other contenders.
    Other than that Binocular at 7/4, Crack away jack at 5-1, Khyber Kim at 25-1 and Woninthedark at 33s could all have cases made for them.

• Total Posts 70

Yes this race is on Saturday, as of now CAJ runs, 5/1 shot.

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

CAJ is massive price at that and another max bet for me this sat and will have more on the antepost for the Champ hurdle. Because if he wins well what price does he go to for the Champ hurdle come festival time?.Plus i feel the course will really suit CAJ a lot more wen he was second to CW cant wait for the race and for CAJ to show people what a engine this horse really has

• Total Posts 115

it’s like I’ve just stepped into a surreal world… maybe I’ve got a different entry list to you guys but CAJ, Serabad, may as well throw in an each way on Won in the Dark!

sorry – just noticed that someone has already suggested ew on him… bonkers!!

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

Why cant CAJ win this sat Katchit whats he done wrong in your opinion?.Surely his course form is very strong better then binnys?.Young improving horse who tavelled like a dream in the fred winter.If this is def the intended target for sat at 5/1 looks massive price to me imo.Dont know much about the race to be honest which horses are defo intended runners!! but if CAJ runs why cant he win this race?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Celestial Halo at 14-1 is potentially a brilliant price and it will be interesting to see if any money comes in for him as IMO there isnt a horse in that line up who could have beaten him at cheltenham in march, same track same ground, same form is the only question but he has the ability to make every yard of this race hurt the other contenders.

Franchoek hardly upheld the Cheltenham form has he? I have followed CH but cant help feeling that he needs further and after Aintree, im struggling to think of a reason why that form would be reversed. He might need a bit of give, but its a dry week in prospect

CAJ doesnt really appeal either. Jumping would be under pressure in what could be a fierce race

Katchit to bounce back?

• Total Posts 70

I dont think Franchoek is the same horse as last year to be honest, hope im wrong as I love the horse, i’d like to see him take up the running an say ‘come an get me’ like he did before McCoy took over

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

Katchit is the yardstick i suppose that has to be beaten who will defo run his race at his fav course.What a race we have in prospect iff all the runners run do you think they will?.Im not two sure!.When CAJ won the fred winter (listed handicapp hurdle) off 11-10 his jumping was very good what i can remeber off the race clive?.I just feel this is CAJ time and feel all the value will evaparate sorry bout spelling :) After sat.I know binny beat CAJ as a Novice but bit diffrent now.I would be backing katchit if CAJ wasnt running his course form (Katchit) second to none.Oh if CAJ wins the race on sat what odds do you think he comes for CH 2/1 shot?.So ill do my dough if CAJ gets turned over easily but at least ill know a lot more about the Horse and wont have missed the value if he runs well stays the same in antepost market eg second imo.But just say he wins which i really think he will ill miss the 5/1 on the day and the big looking 7/1 antepost so im just trying to get the value thats al before it goes. My angle on the race maybe totally wrong!

Franchoek overated horse always has bin imo just dosent perform and feel he just doesent cut the mustard

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

For me it’s between two horses here.

Binocular was highly impressive last time out – purely because the horse didnt have to break sweat at all to beat the field. It’s accepted that this is a stronger field but Binocular does look like one hell of a horse and in my opinion the horse to beat on the road to the Champion Hurdle.

9/4? If only I was off work/had access to these prices today – I wouldve snapped that up very quickly. 7/4 is still good value though as is 7/2 for the Champion Hurdle.

The one that can chase Binocular home? Well….not nessicarily chase him home but I feel Crack Away Jack wouldve beaten Chombawomba last time out at Ascot if it werent for a pretty poor round of jumping on all accounts. The horse gets the trip very well and the fact that Emma Lavelle says CAJ is in superb form makes the 7-1 available very tempting.

With the above in mind, this is why I don’t fancy Chombawomba to do it again. Binocular is a better horse than CW and CAJ can reverse the form and this leaves Katchit completely out of the picture for me.

This is without doubt a mini-Champion Hurdle and I fully expect the winner to be around 2-1 at the close of play for the Champion Hurdle.

It’s one of those ‘Eggs in one basket’ times really isnt it? You have to take a gamble on one horse for both this and the Champion Hurdle in the hope they’ll come through for you this weekend and shorten for the CH rather than drift

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I can’t see any angle at the head of the market, and though he has plenty to find on official figures, I’ve backed the thoroughly unexposed Solwhit each-way at 20/1, to cause a bit of a stir.

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

solhwit wouldnt be for me believe it beat sky hall and clopf last time watched the race.In a handicap hurdle off 10-6 just feel the horse will not be good enough and has a lot to find very good shout if he runs a race

• Total Posts 2440

Looks a very decent race on Saturday, should be good.

It will go a fair way in my opinion, to seeing the potential Champion Hurdle credentials of Binocular and Crack Away Jack for the 2009 Champion Hurdle.

This is a step up in company for them, and class, and if they overcome this, then they will be at the head of the market for March 2009.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Franchoek hardly upheld the Cheltenham form has he? I have followed CH but cant help feeling that he needs further and after Aintree, im struggling to think of a reason why that form would be reversed. He might need a bit of give, but its a dry week in prospect

CAJ doesnt really appeal either. Jumping would be under pressure in what could be a fierce race

Katchit to bounce back?

I agree that Celestial Halo will be suited by farther, but lets not forget cheltenham 2008, Franchoek was in form for Triumph (and as I remember many had him as a festival banker), the way the race was run was also the way Franchoek had been winning his races in the run up and so I would expect that Franchoek would have given his best possible running in it. The time of the triumph was a stand out time for the whole week, Approximately:
    4 secs faster than the supreme novice which saw Binocular outsayed by Captain Cee Bee
    Over 5 secs faster than the champ hurdle, which admittedly looked a slow affair
    11secs faster than the fred winter, which saw Crackaway jack just having too much toe for crackaway jack.

I was one of the people who was first to say before aintree, that it was binoculars race and he was far more suited to it than Celestial Halo, who couldnt employ the same tactics as cheltenahm on the better ground. People have clearly forgotten just how impressive CH was at cheltenham though, as by my recollection there werent many wanting to take him on at aintree, even with Binocular.

On saturday the two market leaders are essentially speed horses, on more testing ground than their optimal condiditons and the focus of tactics will surely be on blunting their speed with a searching gallop.

Two horses who are proven at searching gallops on this sort of ground are Won In The Dark at 33-1 and Celestial Halo at 14-1. Now we don’t know what sort of form Celestial Halo is in at the minute, but in his time with Noicholls he has never been out of the top two, has only ever been beaten on good ground or at a slow pace, where he couldnt play to his strengths, at 14-1 with a course, ground and distance looking to me to be the best piece of race relevant form on offer I think he (along with won in the dark) is a definite play, however in the off chance of a slow pace I will also be backing him for the world hurdle before the race as I think that is where he will be at his best.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Your a wee tad late with hat advice HWTH………..those who listened to yer old dad here could have had 22/1 and 40/1 Binny and Crackaway Jack like I did months ago…….now we talking about taking 3’s :wink:

Sorry just had to rub it in :lol:

Obviously I backed Binocular the minute the betting came out for this and the 9/4 wasn’t around for long…….. Crack Away Jack is such a big horse I would raether didn’t run in this, I think he needs all the time he can get to continue to improve but she’s the trainer and she knows best.

Katchit certainly wasn’t anywhere near spot on at this time last year but Alan King may well have changed his ploy this season……I’ve a feeling he will be 100% for this and will be all out to win it. He can easily rest him afterwards and give him one more run pre Cheltenham and go there spot on to defend his crown………..perhaps someone closer to the yard might be able to enlighten us.

Obviously Blue Square simply don’t want to lay Binny as the best price the have offered all day is evens whle you can still get around 7/4 with a couple of others. Mabe they know something we don’t.

I agree this is a mini CH the best hurdle race of the season so far and it should tell us a thing or 2. I don’t think it will be a close call I think one of the 3 will win this easily I’m just not sure which but the cash is on Binny as I would be nuts to back against him now.

Irrespective of who does win this they still have a huge hurdle to cross in Sizing Europe who looked as good as ever despite being beaten by Hardy Eustace………..so while it might tell us how Binny, Katchit and CAJ shape up it will be far from conclusive with regards to the CH itself..

The most certain thing is I won’t get much sleep this week……Zarakava was easy on my brain in comparison to this bloody Champion Hurdle which has me thinking one thing one minute and another the next,,,,,that’s what makes the CH my favourite race………roll on Saturday.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.