The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2007

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Champion Hurdle 2007

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I understand Black Jack Ketchum’s connections are considering aiming him at next years Champion Hurdle and maybe even going for a Champion / World Hurdle double.

When I first saw Black Jack my impression was 2 miles 5 would possibly his optimum trip and although I was confident he’d win at Cheltenham I did have slight concerns about him getting up the hill. I needn’t have. His performance then over Aintree’s easier track was even more impressive and the horse obviously has lots of speed.

Even so reverting a three miler to two miles must be a risk.

I can’t remember being more impressed by a novice hurdler than I am with Black Jack and would love to see him crowned Champion Hurdler next March.

Any views?

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I remember being similarly impressed by Rhinestone Cowboy, before seeing him brutally exposed in the Champion.  The World Hurdle would be, IMO, the better option next year.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Quote: from Racing Daily on 12:08 pm on April 9, 2006[br]I remember being similarly impressed by Rhinestone Cowboy, before seeing him brutally exposed in the Champion.  The World Hurdle would be, IMO, the better option next year.

<br>Good point re Rhinestone Cowboy although I think Black Jack Ketchum finishes his races better than Rhinestone did.

I agree if I owned Black Jack it’d be the World Hurdle I’d be aiming at. IMO he’d chew the likes of Mighty Man and My Way De Solzen up and spit them out.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Im a big fan of the horse…he looks fantastic but the only word of caution is that I dont really think an awful lot of the horses he has beaten.  Its a pity we didnt see a match between him and Denman (or Nicanor)  but definitly agree that he looks best.

I dont think Jonjo is seriously considering the champion hurdle though.

SHL

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Black Jack Ketchum’s Aintree form looks really solid. In third was Neptune Collonges who would probably have done better had he set a stronger pace but Black Jack Ketchum cantered all over him. This is the same Netune Collonges who chased home the Stayers’ Hurdle winner at Chepstow.

I have no doubt that Black Jack Ketchum is the best novice hurdler this season (staying or otherwise) and there is every reason to think he hasn’t yet shown his full hand. Even with the retirement of Baracouda the staying hurdling division looks really strong at the moment. All of a sudden, Inglis Drever looks likely to only be fourth best at the minute. Who would have thought that at the start of the season?

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

I didnt think the stayers at chelters was any great shakes this year but it has potential to be next year.

SHL

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Quote: from SirHarryLewis on 5:37 pm on April 9, 2006[br]I didnt think the stayers at chelters was any great shakes this year but it has potential to be next year.<br>

<br>I’d only fancy My Way de Solzen to give Black Jack Ketchum a race if it were soft and chances are that he’ll be going chasing. Other than that, can’t see anything troubling BJK.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Agreed.  The 3/1 that is apparantly available for the 2007 World Hurdle is a joke.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

"…BTW, Golden Cross is a stayer to look out for next year as well…"

Good spot :biggrin:

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Agreed.  The 3/1 that is apparantly available for the 2007 World Hurdle is a joke.

On the contrary, RD.

If I could guarantee that the horse wouldn’t be injured in the interim, (I wouldn’t want the stress), I would have the biggest bet of my life at that price. And I’m a big MWTD fan.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

If I could guarantee that the horse wouldn’t be injured in the interim, (I wouldn’t want the stress),

Eh….thats why 3s at this stage is ridiculous

SHL

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Getting the horse to the race, tuned up and ready to go, is 90% of the ball game.  It would be interesting to know what the bookies were offering at this time last year against Inglis Drever winning at Cheltenham 2006.  Inglis was certainly not a bad bet, at the right odds, at this point in 2005.  In hindsight of course, it was a terrible bet.  A bet on BJK could just as easily be a similarly terrible wager.  Too many uncertainties.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I think its looking very crowded for the world hurdle next year and that will encourage the MWTS connections towards chasing

Not only that, his jumping is already superb and he just looks more like a chaser in the making<br>

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I was just thinking about the against the crowd approach on the way to the airport with my mob on Sunday- All everyone could talk about was BJK, and I said to someone that my instinct would be to be against him or have no bet from now on, as the hype around him is unreal- he won’t represent value in his next few runs, if ever, talented though he is. If they are going chasing they should do it next season, as he will be getting a little old the year after. it wouldn’t surprise me to see him over fences next year.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Quote: from carvillshill on 12:08 pm on April 10, 2006[br]it wouldn’t surprise me to see him over fences next year.

<br>I think that Jonjo has already said that the horse will be staying over hurdles next term. The three-mile novice chase division looks like it will still be a corker, though, with Denman, Nicanor, Travino and (hopefully) My Way de Solzen all set to go over the bigger obstacles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.