The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Big Buck’s’ Apostrophe

Home Forums Horse Racing Big Buck’s’ Apostrophe

Viewing 12 posts - 18 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

That Chaucer lad would have had the knuckles bet off him in my school!

Mine too, which is why I probably rebel about pedantic punctuation.

At my infant school the head teacher was a sadist. Even as a five year old every spelling or punctuation mistake was “rewarded” with a rap across the knuckles with a ruler.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

That Chaucer lad would have had the knuckles bet off him in my school!

Mine too, which is why I probably rebel about pedantic punctuation.

At my infant school the head teacher was a sadist. Even as a five year old every spelling or punctuation mistake was “rewarded” with a rap across the knuckles with a ruler.

Mrs Murray used to grab us by the hair and bank our heads against the back wall of her classroom if we got our times tables wrong. We were five. She was arguably one of the better teachers we had…..

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

Be assured that the 20 or so correspondences I’ve had from various arms of Weatherbys so far this week have all been absolutely meticulous in observing strictures of spelling and grammar, including all of those to have been created by the youngest members of staff. Professional integrity prevents any behaviour other than that.

As a former writer of some (minor) Weatherbys missives and publications, I can assure you that anything which left my printer was both grammatically correct and punctuated properly.

High standards did not rule throughout, however, but a fairly good job was done of ensuring that the people who wrote things are at least semi-literate, and that somebody fully literate proof-read the more important items.

FWIW, IMO, the greengrocers’ apostrophe should be a hanging offence. I also wholeheartedly applaud the actions of Lynne Truss, who once stood all day underneath a billboard advertising the film "Two Weeks Notice" with an apostrophe on a stick.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

High standards did not rule throughout, however, but a fairly good job was done of ensuring that the people who wrote things

are

at least semi-literate, and that somebody fully literate proof-read the more important items.

Stay in the past tense !
    See me later :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

our French teacher used to throw a board rubber at us, and she didn’t aim to miss either…..

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

Some of you may have seen it reported that Birmingham council are removing all possessive apostrophes from their road signs (King’s Heath etc) on the grounds that we’re all too dumb to understand them…

Regarding the horse-naming convention, anyone remember a hurdler called ‘400Nocte’ that used to run in the dim and distant past??

Mike

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

It should be "Big Bucks" as he’s named after the former Pro Bull Riding Champion Bucking Bull of the same name :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

FWIW, IMO, the greengrocers’ apostrophe should be a hanging offence. I also wholeheartedly applaud the actions of Lynne Truss, who once stood all day underneath a billboard advertising the film "Two Weeks Notice" with an apostrophe on a stick.

Ironically, Lynne Truss made quite a few punctuation errors in her book – Eats, Shoots and Leaves. :oops:

Louis Menand, writing for the New Yorker, was quick to point out Lynne Truss’s mistakes when reviewing the book.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 4293

I thought it was reported on the Morning Line last autumn, erm I forget, big buxum blonde – but Weatherbys wouldn’t allow it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Regarding the horse-naming convention, anyone remember a hurdler called ‘400Nocte’ that used to run in the dim and distant past??

I do, but my take on that was always that his name was frequently rendered that way merely for convenience in publications such as those Haig Whisky NH Annuals.

Reason being: the name spelt out in full, i.e.

Four Hundred Nocte

, still fell within the 18-character limit for a horse’s name.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Mike

Trained by Nicky Henderson in the early eighties; I only remember him from newspapers as I don’t think he was good enough to run in the big televised races.

smallbutmighty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 64

It should be "Big Bucks" as he’s named after the former Pro Bull Riding Champion Bucking Bull of the same name :)

But I’d read that Stewart-Brown wanted to name it Big Buxsome Blonde (or something similar), burt was denied that choice – and so the Big Buck’s is the ‘acceptable’ versuion of the intention?

Hence the apostrophe is fairly irrelevant from a gramatical point of view anyway? :wink:

Viewing 12 posts - 18 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.