The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

BHA timekeeping

Home Forums Horse Racing BHA timekeeping

Viewing 13 posts - 69 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Fully take the point regarding Rule 35 (and I can hazard a guess as to why Alan knows the rule very well) and appreciate it covers the situation where a horse needs re-plating at the start.

However there are also cases where horses are re-plated before going down thus delaying the start – not sure who has the say so in those cases.

Anyway the re-plating was just one example there are plenty of worse examples of unecessary delays.

And to respond to TDK’s final point – is it better for one owner to be inconvenienced because their horse is pulled out or better for many owners to be inconvenienced because their runners are held at the start too long. Would he be happy if he had a nervous two-year-old running who was getting worked up at the start because of a delay due to replating?

Finally as Richard points out there will always be instances where delays are unavoidable – however there are times where, with suitable planning and reactive intervention, the worse of the delays can be avoided. The most obvious being not re-timing when fixtures are abandoned – Boxing Day being the most painful example.

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

It is generally accepted that on days where there is a crowded programme it is inevitable that clashes occur.

One way to reduce irritation levels, however, would be to schedule meetings in such a way that races on the respective racing channels are spaced as far apart as possible. That way at least if races clash they are on separate channels and one can choose to watch one’s preferred race in full.

It would also be helpful if there was some co-ordination with the Irish authorities concerning race times.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

And to respond to TDK’s final point – is it better for one owner to be inconvenienced because their horse is pulled out or better for many owners to be inconvenienced because their runners are held at the start too long. Would he be happy if he had a nervous two-year-old running who was getting worked up at the start because of a delay due to replating?

The latter imo – the "inconvenience" of having someone withdraw your horse at the start is of completely different magnitude to being held up for a few minutes. As I stated earlier, owners will have paid a significant sum of money to get their horse to the races and, put it this way, it would be a long old drive home if it was withdrawn because of a spread plate.

As for nervous 2yos – it goes with the territory…

R Hoiles
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

Thanks for the clarification of that Rule.

Very helpful.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

To redress a bit of the balance, the 4.50 at Exeter went off 33 secs early. Don’t let it be said the BHA don’t care or can’t do it when they put their minds to it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Is there anyone employed by the BHA to avoid race clashes or not?
    Once again their incompetence has been shown up by allowing the 2.50 at Lingers to directly clash with the 3.00 at Wolves.
    Nic Coward should be up in arms.
    Useless!

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

Credit to the organisation at Musselburgh yesterday following a delay due to Ultimate’s broken reins before the 2.30. The runners were ready at 2.40 but the start was the delayed to avoid a clash with Southwell. After that there was co-operation all round to get the racing back on time and avoid clashes, and that despite an evacuation of the stand before the 3.30 due to a fire alarm.

Rob

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

It’s a pity that Fontwell and Leopardstown clashed all afternoon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

Fontwell and Leopardstown are controlled by different racing authorities who are arguably competing against each other.

• Total Posts 980

Credit to the organisation at Musselburgh yesterday following a delay due to Ultimate’s broken reins before the 2.30. The runners were ready at 2.40 but the start was the delayed to avoid a clash with Southwell. After that there was co-operation all round to get the racing back on time and avoid clashes, and that despite an evacuation of the stand before the 3.30 due to a fire alarm.

Rob

Indeed. Interestingly, as Ultimate was being sorted out his price got steadily shorter & shorter. Is it just me that thinks that having all the other horses milling around the start for ten minutes & ready to go gives the delaying horse a little advantage?

I also have a little worry that the fire alarm may have spooked Red Maloney & been playing on him a little come the start.

Anyway, credit to Musselburgh for getting the racing back on time.

I don’t think the clashes between Fontwell & Leopardstown were too bad. I think I’m right in saying none of the finishes clashed.

Although the one guy in the bookies who was betting on ‘chariot racing’ at Vincennes was a bit annoyed!

Ruby Ruby Ruby
    • Total Posts 22

I think it is grossly unfair to blame the fire alarm to have any bearing on his unfortunate fall it was just one of these things and its a part of the sport which sadly happens.

• Total Posts 980

I think it is grossly unfair to blame the fire alarm to have any bearing on his unfortunate fall it was just one of these things and its a part of the sport which sadly happens.

I wasn’t trying to lay blame on anyone, it was just something that popped into my head.

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Fontwell and Leopardstown are controlled by different racing authorities who are arguably competing against each other.

They have separate interests but it’s not a zero sum game and neither jurisdiction gains from avoidable clashes, especially when both meetings are being shown on the same channel.

Viewing 13 posts - 69 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.