The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Questions

Home Forums Horse Racing Betfair Questions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Oggy
    • Total Posts 4

Hi, everyone. I am doing a Research Project at University about Betfair. I was wondering if you could answer me these three simple questions.

1. What do you see as the advantages of Betfair?
    2. What do you see as the disadvantages of Betfair?
    3.Do you think a Sports Betting social networking website, where you could bet amongst each other, such as a mix between Facebook and Betfair would work?

Thanks for your time.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Advantages of Betfair are better prices than the High Street and the ability to bet directly on a horse/event to lose.

Disadvantages are that obviously the unscrupulous can use the "bet on a horse to lose" platform to abuse inside information

Betfair already has a social networking facility of sorts via its forum

What is your project title exactly?

Oggy
    • Total Posts 4

Well I am doing my dissertation next year and I have already been thinking about different topics I could cover, so for this reason it hasn’t got a defnitive title as of yet. What are your views on the commission Betfair charge? I remember Harry Findlay saying in 2006 that he thinks 5%commission is too high and even though he only pays 2% because of the loyalty scheme, he would rather they just charged 2.5% flat rate for everyone.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

There’s a bloke called Glenn you really need to speak to about this…… :lol:

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

What Uni please and what subject are you studying?

Not a trick question or anything just interested I like your style but not sure this is dissertation material, you have to ask yourself will the person marking it…understand it 8)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Well 5% is better than 6% but not as good as 4% basically! I’d love to see a flat rate of 2.5% but given that BF have introduced a Premium Charge I can’t see a reduction in commission just yet anyway. It’s annoying but in general you can still get on at better prices than the High Street.

Oggy
    • Total Posts 4

I am studying Sport Journalism at Leeds Trinity University. Apparently loads of people have done their dissertation on gambling related subjects. I think marking wise it is more based on how you structure your argument, what interviews you get and what academic sources you use rather than do they understand the complexities of betfair. It’s not a definite anyway, I am just putting some feelers out to see if I have enough to work with. I have already done one 5000 word project titled Sports Betting, what are the financial, social and sporting implications and I had a huge amount of information for that, I am just wondering if this would be a little narrow.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Oggy, I think it is subject worthy of debate, and should you decide to pursue it I wish you every success.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Advantages – you can spoof out a price in the morning and all the screen-staring odds compilers, without minds of their own, will follow like sheep

Disadvantages – the four bags of sand they’re planning to relieve me of in premium charges tomorrow lunchtime

Social Networking/Betting site – there was one called flutter

Oggy
    • Total Posts 4

Yes but didn’t flutter merge with Betfair to form the superpower that is now Betfair today.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

The newly published book by Colin Cameron — "You Bet ; The Betfair Story" — might serve some purpose as a reference/research source for your project.
    In no way whatsoever am I puffing this book or recommending it for the general reader; in fact I found it somewhat dry and formulaic, and not value for the cover price.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

3.Do you think a Sports Betting social networking website, where you could bet amongst each other, such as a mix between Facebook and Betfair would work?

No. I don’t want random people I ‘meet’ online and bet with to know anything about me.

What happens if you and the other party/parties get carried away and you put him/her/them £30k odd in the hole and force them to declare bankruptcy, break up their marriage, etc. How the hell would you feel?

What happens if they’re angry about a bet they lost by a short head or something and they want to come after you to get their money back? All your details are stored in this website. A few notes here and there and they could easily get hold of your name, address, bank details, etc.

Dreadful idea, should never see the light of day.

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

A slight sidetrack perhaps, but that puts me in mind of the marketing push for Betdaq at its launch. It was billed as the exchange for high rollers, where you could bet against JP McManus and his fearless ilk.

It didn’t seem to occur to them that JP is precisely the kind of well-informed punter with a horse in every yard that no-one in their right mind would ever want take on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.