The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Punters

Home Forums Horse Racing Betfair Punters

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You will have to excuse my ignorance here as I have only had 2 or 3 bets on Betfair in my life on another persons account.

I have been running a little experiment chosing flat horses I would have laid over the last couple of days…11 in total. before you ask of course none have won :lol: :roll:

I know you have to get bets matched and understand how that works but I have no idea how much dosh is generally available.

Using this eample from today:-

Betfair current odds
    13/5 Deuce, 10/3 Primera Rossa, 34/5 The Composer 36/5 Enthusius 11/1 Bari Bay, 12/1 Trempari, , (USA), 12/1 Alittlemoreflair, 14/1 Red Army Commander (IRE), 16/1 Silver Surprise, 25/1 Lilac Wine, 37 Snowberry Hill 64 Royal Arthur

From your experience if these were the odds 10 mins or so before the off and we wanted to lay The Composer at 34/5 how much would you expect could be matched instantly….10 quid? 100 quid?. 1,000 quid or what?

Or if you wanted to lay 12/1 Alittlemoreflair? same question

The same race same question what about 3 hours before the race?

Many thanks for your help/advice in advance.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

It really depends on a number of factors like I’m sure you’d expect but you can usually get up to about £150 on instantly. The market picks up roughly 10 minutes before the start of each race and that’s when the monopoly money starts flowing. Why not just put on a market 15 minutes before the off-time and watch what happens for yourself?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3327

I was about to say the same as Zarkava – watch it for yourself.

But it occurred to me that perhaps you didn’t know you could go onto the website and watch the market activity without the need to be registered with Betfair. Anybody can watch what’s happening on any race.

AP

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

…. Anybody can watch what’s happening on any race.

AP

ap, not sure that’s a universal truth.

just went there and pulled up the next race without logging in. all i got was one blue price for each horse and no amounts shown.

then i logged in and the page expanded to the usual line of blue and pink prices per horse with amounts.

noticed this before with footy markets too, when not logging in but just wanting to use the live score facility.

it might be something to do with regularly clearing out cookies, .tmp files etc.

best regards

wit

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1747

Wit

With regards to Horse Racing the default settings are just as you say. However if you click on exchange then tick box Back&Lay and Market Depth you can see the whole picture without logging in

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5620

Go to:

http://horseracing.betfair.com/

and select one of the listed races

the full expanded markets are loaded, without needing to log on

Fist, yes just monitor as many races as you can. It’s the only way to get a true feel for the markets.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Wit,

You may need to tick the ‘Back & Lay’ & ‘Market Depth’ checkboxes to see that information. Certainly in the UK it works without logging in. The only difference I’ve noticed when not logged in is the ‘refresh’ is slower.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

ah yes, the extra check boxes do the trick, many thanks.

that may sort it out for Fist.

best regards

wit

Never Nearer
    • Total Posts 98

It sounds as though Wit was initially looking at the ‘racecard view’.

This is the default view for people who appear to be first-time visitors and offers a simple method of backing at Betfair SP. It’s important to recognise that any prices shown there will only be a guide and can’t be taken (or laid).

Clicking ‘Exchange’ just below the race title takes you to the view most users will be more familiar with, and the one you need to see the market’s current liquidity.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

As rule of thumb there is generally about 100 grand matched in a UK racing market 10 mins beforehand. 80% of the liquidity comes after that. What you can get matched for depends on whether the horse is trying or not particulalry at fancier prices. You’d want to be playing in the 5/1 and under range to get thousands matched and even then that would only be possible in the last 5 minutes.

Regarding amounts…with the Channon/Culhane combo at 12/1 10 minutes out you could probably have what you like, Ryan Moore riding for his father at the same price 10 minutes out you’d probably have bots stepping in front of you and you’d struggle to get 50 notes on, so it depends. No hard and fast rules you just have to monitor.

Playing any earlier without inside info is a real shot in the dark imo.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yeah I’ve found the same, it doesn’t refresh as often when not logged in.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thanks bundles guys you’ve all been a great help. I didn’t realize Exchange was the Betfair Market :oops: Can see it all now and looking forward to keeping an eye on the market in the first at Lingfield.

anyone got Fallon’s phone number? :lol:

Thanks again

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Punters shouldn’t be disheartened when they can’t get large amounts matched instantly on the exchanges. They should be perturbed when they can.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Rather than start another thread I’ll ask here :?:
    Too early in the season to tell but are Timeform better on N/H as compared to Flat/A/W………[ please don’t say yes, but they sometimes fall]
    Thanks in Advance.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5620

Fister,

You began this thread by mentioning your experimentation with laying Flat horses but may I suggest that if you plan to use the exchanges for your everyday regulation NH betting, then it may be wise to monitor only NH races in order to get a handle on how those markets operate without being distracted by the Channon/Culhane-type Flat shenanigans mentioned by Cavelino R.

Concentrate on the markets you plan to play in.

Can’t be sure, as I’ve had little experience of anything bar steeplechases in recent years but the Flat/AW markets may operate in a subtly different manner compared to NH.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve been testing laying only (not actually placing the bets) Drone, but everything moves very fast. One minute a horse can be 6.2 then within seconds it goes 6.1 or 6.3 so I don’t know whether I would get on or not. The Money figures are the same one minute it shows e.g 17 quid and it jumps to 4450 quid then back to 20 quid in what seems like a flash.

Todays bets listed below had my head in a spin trying to keep track of the course betting. The odds for laying also seem to be mainly on the high side:

Composer 5.8 returned 9/2 +0.3
    Cloonavery 5.2 returned 9/2 -0.3
    Lady Florence 6.8 returned 5/1 +0.8
    Queen of thebes 7.4 returned 6/1 +0.4
    Who’s winning 6.8 returned 9/2 1.3
    Suncleb 6.6 returned 9/2 +1.1
    Fongs Alibi 2.96 returned 6/4 +0.46
    Silver hotspur 6.8 returned 5/1 +0.8
    Peaceful Means 10.5 returned 8/1 + 1.5

I worked out the average liabilities and I would have been laying horses at 10.06% more than SP. Is this normal or am I basically messing up?

Luckily no winners and on the stakes used I would have been 530 quid up but looking at the spreadsheet I am using and taking 2 horses at random, had they won I would have been 790 quid down.

Looks like a very dangerous game to be playing if you don’t have the funds to back up a couple of big losses.

Any tips welcome lads and thanks again

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Not an expert but 10% more than SP seems about right.

Fist, instead of immediately getting your bet on by accommodating someone else’s offer, you can put in your own offer.

The same with putting a bet on. Instead of taking what’s available, you can offer up your own price, and see if someone eventually takes it up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.