The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Chase 2007

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Betfair Chase 2007

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1631

KAUTO STAR will face a maximum of 13 rivals in the Betfair Chase at Haydock on Saturday, the first leg of the Betfair Million.

Paul Nicholls will be hoping his star chaser, who beatBeef Or Salmon by 17 lengths in the Grade 1 event 12 months ago, can return to his brilliant best and give the yard a welcome boost following a dismal weekend.

The champion trainer lost two promising young chasers at Cheltenham on Saturday as well as his number one jockey Ruby Walsh to injury.

Kauto Star lost for the first time in 18 months on his seasonal reappearance in the Old Roan Chase at Aintree when Monet’s Garden fought him off, but Nicholls warned at the time he would improve significantlyfor the run Nicholls has also entered Royal & SunAlliance Chase winner Denman, but his main aim remains the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury the following weekend.

Taranis is another option for the Ditcheat team after his recent victory in the James Nicholson Chase at Down Royal.

Chief opposition is expected to come from Alan King’s Arkle winner My Way De Solzen, who is stepping up to three miles for the first time over fences, and Kauto Star’s old adversary Exotic Dancer, who chased him home in both the King George and the Gold Cup.

Charlie Hall Chase winner Ollie Magern will be hoping to get closer than last year when he could only finish fourth.

Ferdy Murphy’s Aces Four could continue his build-up towards a crack at the King George, whileMadison De Berlais is David Pipe’s sole entry.

Beef Or Salmon, runner-up for the last two years, is once again entered, along with Charlie Swan’s Offshore Account.

Cheltenham Gold Cup third Turpin Green may represent Nicky Richards while Monkerhostin could run for Philip Hobbs.

Carl Llewellyn’s Too Forward and Peter Bowen’s Yes Sir complete the line-up.

Even though Denman has been given the option, joint-owner Harry Findlay admitted it is very unlikely that he will line up this weekend.

"There is some heavy rain forecast for earlier in the week, but I would imagine Kauto will be all right up there on softish ground. I’m sure that’s where Kauto will be and Denman will go the week after in the Hennessy," said Findlay.

"Ifit was very soft it would be a question for Paul (whether Denman runs at Haydock) and I’m sure he would want everything in his favour before Kauto runs again.

"To be honest we haven’t even had a racecourse gallop into Denman because until yesterday we hadn’t had any rain at all, so I think a plan for Denman may be a racecourse gallop this weekend and the Hennessy the following weekend. I think it’s highly unlikely that he will run at Haydock.

"Heavy ground could change it though as it would rule a lot out but not us," he told At The Races.

Hope weather don’t spoil what looks a cracker – C’mon Harry, run Denman

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Herewith a meditation on the weather. On the one hand I’m fairly keen to see the course riding deep, as I can’t think what else would represent the greatest indication to Tellwright of the folly of his ways than if the portables get stuck in the mud, later races have to be called off due to unsafe going, etc.

On the other hand, though, any such debacles may simply serve as the catalyst for him to initiate the phasing out of steeplechasing and hurdling at the track altogether.

Heads we lose, tails we can’t win, perchance?

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Evens seems a great price to me as Denman won’t run.

Glad to see they are giving there 2nd Jockey the chance I’m sure he will be up to it. Wins bar a fall, be very intersting to see how he jumps. Finger crossed – He just has to be my second bet of the season.

Good luck Kauto go get em

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

very interested to see how Sam Thomas gets on with Kauto Star [get well soon Ruby]. am away this weekend so hope to goodness I can plant myself near a telly on Saturday afternoon…

martin day
    • Total Posts 16

im worried about sam thomas on kauto star over those big fences at aintree with his jumping not always perfect and ruby who`s got to know him so well unfortunately not on board
    i hope im wrong kood luck kauto

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

I think Aces Four and Exotic Dancer will go to the Peterborough. Denman will run in the Henny

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

im worried about sam thomas on kauto star over those big fences at aintree with his jumping not always perfect and ruby who`s got to know him so well unfortunately not on board
    i hope im wrong kood luck kauto

The race is at Haydock, not Aintree

I think Aces Four and Exotic Dancer will go to the Peterborough. Denman will run in the Henny

Exotic Dancer isn’t entered in the Peterborough Chase

Given that this is the first leg of the Betfair Million, I think we’ve got to assume that everything entered will be match fit. In that scenario, Exotic Dancer for me is a cracking bet at 9.4 on Betfair. He has won on Sft and Hvy at Cheltenham so the ground should hold no concerns.

martin day
    • Total Posts 16

The race is at Haydock, not Aintree

my mistake sorry :oops:

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Mouthwatering race and providing it doesnt completely cut up, ED would be a cracking e/w bet on the day even at 5-1.

Hopefully it will be a sunny day and genuine soft ground. I don’t think there’s any chance of it being any better than that with the prevailing forecast and I would hate it to be any worse than that.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I found it quite interesting to hear of Clive Smith banding about names like Mick Fitz to ride KS, as had I been in his place I’d have assumed it was Sam Thomas who would pick up the ride until I’d spoken to the trainer. Does this mean Smith isn’t convinced about young Mr Thomas? For the record, I doubt it will matter as I really don’t think any horse entered can beat KS in this race unless it’s a bog.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

According to what I heard he’s an excellent owner and leaves everything up to the trainer…..think your reading into something that isn’t there

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Everyone seems to be crabbing his Aintree run but take away Monet’s Garden and he’s beaten Exotic Dancer by 20L!

Then what would everyone be saying? Wonder horse?

He’d be 1-2 or even shorter on Saturday for starters…

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Paul, agreed, on paper the result looks fine.

It was the way that the horse travelled, or didn’t travel, throughout the race that was the worrying thing.

There seemed to be very little enthusiasm in the performance.

Hopefully, we will see a different horse on Saturday.

Colin

• Total Posts 2440

No one seems to have mentioned My Way De Solzen yet. Might be a bit biased as he is my favourite horse, but i think he will run a big race.

Wont mind the distance, the ground will be ok for him too i think and has won at Haydock before.

Will be interesting to see how he does stepping back up in trip as his last efforts have been over shorter distances, but he does have pace and can kick on. Alan King is a top trainer so i am sure they will have him ready for this one.

They are targetting the King George on Boxing Day with My Way anyway, so this is a very competitive run out for My Way, and i hope he can push Kauto Star and the others all the way.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Lovely six-pack, by the way, Gareth. :wink:

I hide one of those under about six stone of blubber.

Colin

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

I’d just worry about MWDS not getting home over 3m on easy ground first time out against this sort of opposition. As long as he stays sound the horse has a great future though obviously…

Like everyone I was concerned about how KS travelled at Aintree but let’s just hope that it was rustiness.

Can’t wait for Saturday but I really hope that bad weather doesn’t intervene as -2 is forecast for Friday night with temperatures only getting up to 5c on Saturday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I sympathise, Colin. If the body is a temple, for the state it’s in mine must be the Parthenon.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 190 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.