The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Chase 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Betfair Chase 2009

Viewing 13 posts - 69 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Stinks all the more!

Still – as long as people are happy :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

It was clear from even the misleading angle of the finish line broadcast on RUK that KS’s head was on the nod-down and IC’s on the nod-up. In such circumstances the nod-down tends to prevail in ‘one for the judge’ photos.

Somewhat surprised when G Cunningham announced IC was trading 1/3 on t’machine

It would seem the on-course in-running fraternity and their spotters aren’t infallible then

Well done the judge I say for managing to separate them, and quickly too.

"a dead heat would be the fairest result"

No it wouldn’t. We have the technology so use it

Irish football fans may agree

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Is it just me, or shouldn’t questions be asked about Imperial Commander’s staggering inconsistency? The race-to-race swing in his RPR’s for his chasing career would make Barney Curley look saintly:

178?

I’m aware that he runs well fresh, and is probably better left-handed, but would someone kindly tell his trainer? :roll:

• Total Posts 1982

Imperial Commander needs to be fresh, going left-handed to be at his best.

Kempton would be a waste of time, in my opinion.

I think they should save him for the Cotswold Chase in January. This will give him plenty of time to recover from yesterdays race and let everyone know if he stays the Gold Cup trip.

Whatever the outcome, he’ll have time to recover for Cheltenham in March.

Would you rather be on IC at 16s for the Gold Cup or 9/2 for the Ryanair? Surely NTD must be tempted by the Gold Cup after his performance at Haydock?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

The Sawyer who acts on ground gets pulled out on the day of the race to narrow it down to a field of 7. Why was this Belgian elephant even entered in the first place ?

Part of a plan to have him take in that race and the Becher in consecutive days, but I gather they didn’t think much of the ground at Haydock.

From very close inspection, incidentally, it certainly wasn’t as deep as feared, but certain parts of it looked quite loose on top, and the amout of turf they were kicking up on the bends during the afternoon – not least during the Listed handicap hurdle – did bear that out to an extent.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 2440

I have to say when i saw it on tv it did lookl ike Imperial Commander had won.

When the result was read out on course and he had finished second, i was actually amazed.

However, now seeing the photograph, it is clear that Kauto Star has just, only just, got there ahead of him.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

PN has always said his long neck would come in handy [Kauto Star’s, that is; PN doesn’t appear to have a neck these days……]..felt really sorry for Paddy Brennan on Saturday,even more so when he praised Ruby on Sunday, and said he needed to follow his example and be a better loser..although, thinking about it, was that said a bit tongue in cheek..hmmmm?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

How poor was notre pere? Pace seemed to much for him perhaps but that was a bad run…

I wouldn’t rule out a slight confidence issue following the Down Royal fall. I only recall him giving one fence a proper smack, but there were a few others at which he was careful at best and scared at worst.

Granted, he may simply not have taken a cut at the portafences, but for all that they are slightly different propositions to most park fences they are hardly beamed down from the moon, either.

On the evidence of the last two runs, I can’t actually see him winning anything of any great consequence this term.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

One point not raised up to now concerns the riding of Madison Du Berlais, whom I’d actually say did just a little better than the bare form.

None of his 10 career wins have come making all, and I far prefer him racing prominently, even chasing the leader, but at the same time declining the worst excesses of the early pace.

That then being the case, why were he and Tom Scudamore quite so intent on trying to dice with Seymour Weld for the first circuit as they were?

I was absolutely delighted to see Seymour Weld in the line-up, as he’s a pretty safe conveyance and a guaranteed pace influence, the latter attribute something we’re not always sure to see in a race at this level (see also the very welcome participation of Dr Prichard’s Fifth Generation in all those Champion Hurdle trials years ago). It didn’t mean Madison Du Berlais had to take him on quite as much as he did for as long as the Pogson gelding was meaningfully involved in proceedings, though.

The plus side to Madison’s performance, however, is that he probably won’t have had quite so hard a race in defeat as the first two home, and it’s not as if he doesn’t act around Kempton – quite the opposite.

If, therefore, there is any semblance of fatigue from the weekend’s exertions left in either Kauto Star or Imperial Commander’s legs come Boxing Day, I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of the placings being shuffled in the Pipe horse’s favour.

gc

• Total Posts 2440

None of his 10 career wins have come making all, and I far prefer him racing prominently, even chasing the leader, but at the same time declining the worst excesses of the early pace.

That then being the case, why were he and Tom Scudamore quite so intent on trying to dice with Seymour Weld for the first circuit as they were?

Did he not make all in the Totesport Bowl though at Aintree GC? ? ?

I cant remember for sure, but he was very prominent that day i think, and maybe Tom Scu tried different tactics to try and shake up Kauto Star a little.

Who knows, i was suprised myself to see him taking on Seymour Weld, who, as you say, would take them along at a decent clip.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Well done to both horses for a fabulous race. Perhaps this race shows why I have never wagered on the outcome of a photograph!

Some of the after race comments were just as entertaining as the race. Paul Nicholls seemed intent on telling people Kauto Star needed the run…so NTD then came out and said the same about Imperial Commander. If Imperial Commander hadn’t made a horlicks of the third last then Kauto Star would have lost by a few lengths.

I watched the race on Channel 4 with there side on camera view from the roadside truck. When they turned into the straight and Paddy Brennan kicked on Imperial Commander I think he frightened the life out of Ruby! Dont think Ruby expected Paddy to kick on so soon as straight away Ruby had to get right after Kauto Star. IC was up by 2 lengths at the 3rd last and if he had maintained that lead on landing and perhaps extended towards the 2nd last I think Ruby may have conceded and looked after Kauto Star coming to the last.

Personally I hope IC goes to Kempton and blows out bigtime (aka last year) and then turns up fresh to Cheltenham for the Gold Cup overpriced and becomes a stonking each way bet!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Did he not make all in the Totesport Bowl though at Aintree GC? ? ?

Led 3rd, I believe, having let The Listener muck around in front for a while first. I admit I might be splitting hairs slightly here, as that’d count as a "made nearly all" in many people’s books, but either way, he could certainly have been raced with a little less profligacy in Saturday’s contest for as long as Seymour Weld was to the fore.

gc

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Surely with over 5 weeks between races Kauto Star and Imperial Commender will be well over their exertions. Most likely they’ll both have a couple of weeks doing next to nothing then brought back in good time fit and well.

Looking at Imperial Commander’s form he does look like he goes off the boil at times. What you have to consider is why did he have the lapses in form he had over the last 2 seasons.

He stumbled on landing 3 out when beaten with Joe Livley at Cheltenham and finished last which happens and last year NTD couldn’t buy a winner in December,almost the entire yard was out of form.

Unless there is a repeat of the latter I’m sure IC will be just fine.

Not to say you couldn’t take an ew chance on MDM but then you have his style of running and the type of horse he is to consider.

He’s a good horse who for me gives his all during a race.

To win he would have to turn the tap on about 4 out against Kauto in the hope of getting him off the bridle. I just can’t see him being good enough to do that and then he would have a big problem.

If Kauto and IC headed him 3 out and put any distance between them, then MDB would have blown a gasket and be a very easy horse to pass.

Most likely he would finish a very tired horse, somewhere back in the ruck and something like Alberta’s or Barber’s Shop would just run past him.

You see it every day in 5-7 horse chases where the 2nd fav has blown a casket chasing the hot pot and a couple of 66/1 shots runs him out of of a place.

Dodgy bet in high class races IMO

Viewing 13 posts - 69 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.