The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best of UK sitcoms

Home Forums Lounge Best of UK sitcoms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Razzer I don’t like any of them, I particularly despise ‘Bread’.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Definitely looks a bit of a ‘c’-list assembly!!!

DJ – completely agree, Bread sucked big style; one series of this repetitive, mediocre scouse sh!te would have been plenty, but they just kept milking it…

Would have to be Butterflies for me. I can’t remember seeing many of the others but have some vague recollection of Butterflies – either it or Wendy Craig was semi-appealing to an impressionable 6yo way back when…

ACR1
    • Total Posts 64

Sit through five hours of that crap? A ten second clip of "The Office" or "Fawlty Towers" has more originality and genius than every episode of that muck Razeen mentions put togther.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Could it possibly be that Razeen’s taking the p**s
    ??

Steve

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I have never seen even one episode of any of those programmes. Showing my age I reckon.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

And what about "Never the Twain". 26 minutes a week of near- death experience laughter.:)

Or Nigel Havers’ upper class medcom, "Don’t Wait up".

Worth the licence fee all by itself!

(Edited by Maxilon 5 at 9:06 pm on Aug. 11, 2005)

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Actually, I think The Good Life hasn’t dated that badly at all. It obviously looks of its era (why did everyone think orange and brown were the most beautiful colours in the world?) but the scenario, script and subtlety still stands up to inspection imo.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Any teenage boys worth their salt would be watching Hollyoaks, Ian, I think.:biggrin:

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

My favorite, The Vicar Of Dibley, isn’t on there i’m afraid.  Of what’s available, allo allo and all of it’s double entendres get’s my vote.  I agree, Bread was rather bland and forgettable for me.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

It’s a pretty poor list. Coupling had its moments but was harly essential viewing.

The UK sitcom track record is pretty patchy, but we came up with Fawlty Towers and Blackadder (and, had a hand in Father Ted).  

My favourite at the moment is "Still Game", though I doubt it’s shown down south.

(unless they subtitle it)

Steve

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Y’know, I was thinking about this last night.

Anyone remember "Jam"?? And why can’t you buy it on DVD. I thought that was loads better than something like "It Takes a Worried Man", starring Peter Tilbury.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Hiya,

If one were to regard The Young Ones as a sitcom, it and Fawlty Towers would pee all over everything else mentioned on this thread to date.

Bread was not only dreary, it practically ostracised Carla Lane from her home city for its wilfull portraying of (all?) Scousers as cheating, dole-twiddling rogues – a portrayal Lane herself has admitted in interviews subsequently she had (and still has) no problem with putting forward. Maybe some of the Liverpudlians on the Forum have a thing or two to say about her.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4713

Quote: from stevedvg on 2:31 pm on Aug. 12, 2005[br]

My favourite at the moment is "Still Game", though I doubt it’s shown down south.

(unless they subtitle it)

Steve<br>

Actually Steve Still Game is shown down here and is enjoyed by me at least! Sad thing is I had to translate bits of it for my wife….and she’s Scottish, although I reckon 20 years away from Scotland and she’s losing touch!!!

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Actually Steve Still Game is shown down here

I’m truly shocked.

How do people understand it without a translator sitting beside them?

I’ve watched it with foreign friends and I have to tape it first so I can stop the tape and explain what’s just been said.  

On the subject of sitcoms, did anyone see that old episode of Father Ted at the weekend?

Ted, Dougall and a Latin American priest were sitting around playing Cluedo and the conversation went as follows:

(not verbatim, but the gist)

Latin American Priest: Reverend Green in the Study with the candlestick<br>Ted: Those protestants …. up to no good as usual…

Steve

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

Mostly pretty poor stuff compared with the greats (Fawlty Towers / The Office / Blackadder) but I plumped for Butterflies, if only because it reminds me of my wife’s ‘experimental’ cooking techniques!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.