The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Horse Racing Commentator

Home Forums Horse Racing Best Horse Racing Commentator

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Stevenferguson
    • Total Posts 44

Yeah I was speaking to a few of the Managers at Carlisle and they said they don’t get a choice of commentators but they did say to me that they weren’t keen on Doug Fraser but prefer Darren Owen, John Hunt & Mark Slater.

I definately agree with the comments about Martin Harris, I think he is allways improving and gets around a fair bit now all over the place.
    Martin was at Newcastle yesterday and he sounded on good form.

What does Everyone think of Phil Curry then? He was at Southwell yesterday and you occasionaly hear up Sedgefield,Newcastle,Thirsk & Perth direction.

P.S I think Darren Owen is down to commentate at the next few meetings at Carlisle I was told. (meeting this Thursday).

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I was really impressed by the racecourse commentator, who, despite commentating in some appalling conditions (I couldn’t see the far side of the course), kept a very detailed commentary (although I didn’t hear him say that Weststern took a keen hold). The commentator was Mark Johnson I think – very good work indeed!! Even when the storms abated, he called Allez Franks race with extreme precision.

Oh, he’s imperturbable enough, even his doubters have to give him that. Possibly a good grounding doing point-to-points in some of the pissiest weather imaginable has something to do with that, and, to his credit, he still calls a number of meetings a year in that sphere (mostly at Kingston Blount, I think, so there’s a chance he could be there this Saturday).

He’s first choice caller at Stratford, so if you’re heading there again in the near future he’ll more than likely be there. He usually gets the gig for the two-day Pertemps (Horse and Hound Cup) meeting at the end of May, which I assure you that you won’t get through without him announcing at least once that, "the hunters go past the punters"!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3374

What does Everyone think of Phil Curry then? He was at Southwell yesterday and you occasionaly hear up Sedgefield,Newcastle,Thirsk & Perth direction.

Not keen on him, seems obsessed with favourites and their backers.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Yeah I was speaking to a few of the Managers at Carlisle and they said they don’t get a choice of commentators

That’s not strictly accurate of them – they’re entitled to send in their wish-lists to Racetech when prompted the same as any other racecourse. They won’t get their way every single time, but then nowhere does.

At least they don’t get sent Jonathon Turner any more; I don’t know if it’s available in cyberspace anywhere, but the Carlisle meeting in October 2001 where he carried on through the whole card despite having lost his voice one race in is the thing of legend! Heaven knows why Johnnie Fenwicke-Clennell, who still calls several pointing meetings a year, didn’t intervene.

Apropos of Carlisle callers, I remember being played a video of the Easter 1989 meeting when I visited Ted Caine’s place many years ago (mainly because their best ever horse Cavalier Crossett recorded the first of his eight wins that day), and the commentator had a very posh-sounding, quite nasal delivery. Was there anyone meeting that description doing the rounds in the North back then? I’m thinking maybe John Budden, but can’t be sure.

He’s entirely acceptable – possibly a little over-reliant on the phrases "readily" and "off a true line", but I know how hard it is not to repeat yourself over and over in the heat of battle. It’s a shame he doesn’t get more jumps calls, as he was very good indeed the last time I encountered him at a racecourse, which was at Bangor all of three and a half years ago.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Stevenferguson
    • Total Posts 44

Not keen on him, seems obsessed with favourites and their backers.

Yes I agree, But I like to hear him aorund here sometimes as its a nice change from Doug Fraser. He does use the Phrase "Well inside the Closing Stages" a fair bit when struggling a bit for words towards the finish.

But as I said its a nice change sometimes hearing a different voice.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Tony Ennis seems to do a fair enough job.

I don’t know his background, had he done any race-calling before he became a presenter on ATR?

Colin

• Total Posts 1688

This title does say "Best Horse Racing Commentator" and granted, the post which follows does specify British commentators only, but I cannot refrain from mentioning David Raphael, the best commentator in the world. Was the chief caller for Hong Kong up to 2005 until Darren Flindell took over.

I want to know where he is currently – I hoped he would return for a full-time stint in Australia but he is simply missing in action. The only knowledge I have is he was a co-host for the television coverage of the Melbourne Cup Carnival for the on-course viewers only.

Some famous calls by NBC’s legendary Tom Durkin as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Tony Ennis seems to do a fair enough job.

I don’t know his background, had he done any race-calling before he became a presenter on ATR?

I thought he was a betting shop manager pre-ATR, Colin, and has been brought on steadily by Racetech whilst holding down his ATR duties – maybe someone closer to the channel can confirm or correct this.

gc

• Total Posts 149

What makes me laugh is that Thommo gets more votes than Cattermole. What are these voters like heh? Thommo is repulsive as a commentator, to the point that I won’t watch races where he commentates. Cattermole is actually not too bad.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I would like to see Mark Slater get more of the bigger gigs.

I think his style was best summed up by someone who once said to me "you don’t notice him" – that was meant as a compliment as he doesn’t have any gimicks or affectations and is technically very accurate.

Of the "newer" callers I quite like Malcolm Tomlinson, he has good clear delivery – I think his acting background helps with his presentation.

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

This subject really does divide opinion on the forums!

Throwing my coin in, Martin Harris is a very underrated caller; technically very accurate, with a dry wit when appropriate. I suspect it’s his other commitments which keep him off some of the higher profile weekend fixtures. A funny line of his at the end of a point-to-point on bottomless ground at Wetherby a few years ago was something like:

"and [the second horse] is coming home ab-sol-ute-ly kna… well, I shan’t say it, but he’s very tired!"

Of the new commentators, I think Malcolm Tomlinson is very good. At the cutting edge, it’s Holt, Hoiles and Hunt for me- would like to see John Hunt call for BBC Television, rather than radio, in the future.

GC,
    There is a clip on Youtube of Better Times Ahead winning the Lucius Challenge Cup at Carlisle in 1998, called by John Budden late in his commentary career. Is that the chap you are thinking of? Also, are you still tallying up the roster? Who has had the most gigs this year?

• Total Posts 1800
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

would like to see John Hunt call for BBC Television, rather than radio, in the future.

Probably unlikely based on the normal BBC pattern.

Jim McGrath No 2 to Peter O’Sullevan, then taking the No 1 slot, with Ian Bartlett as his sub.

Same on the radio with Lee McKenzie working as Peter Bromley’s No 2 then succeeding him.

So my money would be on Barty taking over when Jim McGrath hangs up his bins. I suspect he has probably been half promised the job anyway.

My understanding is that when Lee McKenzie left BBC radio, Barty was the first choice replacement but he turned it down, wanting to stick with his TV role.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I would like to see Mark Slater get more of the bigger gigs.

I think his style was best summed up by someone who once said to me “you don’t notice him” – that was meant as a compliment as he doesn’t have any gimicks or affectations and is technically very accurate.

Very much a quiet, dependable type, Mark. I think 2008 marks either his 20th or 25th year on the roster (I need to check an old Post article on him), so I think any plans of grooming him for stardom, if you like, have passed, but there are still very, very many years of good service in him yet.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Of the "newer" callers I quite like Malcolm Tomlinson, he has good clear delivery – I think his acting background helps with his presentation.

Agreed on all counts. He also still does plenty of stints for ICS, and therefore Betfair Radio – I’m not sure what the commentators’ equivalent of "didn’t touch a twig" is, but that would sum up his radio performance at Stratford earlier this week.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

GC,
    There is a clip on Youtube of Better Times Ahead winning the Lucius Challenge Cup at Carlisle in 1998, called by John Budden late in his commentary career. Is that the chap you are thinking of? Also, are you still tallying up the roster? Who has had the most gigs this year?

Ta for the heads-up, Judge, I’ll give that a listen back at home tonight!

I’ve not tallied up the roster in its entirety so far this year owing to other commitments, but will attempt to put that right in the next few weeks. The commentators I’ve heard most this year are James Crispe and David Rhys-Jones, but that’s simply because I’ve spent most racedays watching fat hunters in muddy fields… 8)

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Cheers again, Judge.

Having played the Better Times Ahead clip, I don’t think it’s the same fella – the one on the 1989 clip was just as well-spoken but far more nasal still!

Mind, it was most interesting listening to Mr Budden in action there. It can’t be often nowadays that a commentator will come out with phrases like "you artful old devil", I’d suggest!

I believe he retired from the Roster at the end of the following year, facilitating a return to it for Doug Fraser in the process.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.