The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best flat races ever in Britain and Ireland?(from aesthetic viewpoint )

Home Forums Horse Racing Best flat races ever in Britain and Ireland?(from aesthetic viewpoint )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

This is my list of my best flat races from an Aesthetic point of view.I am not judging the races from the point of view of merit of performance but the thrill it gave to spectators.Most of my choices are the hard fought tussles.

1.Grundy v Bustino-1975 King George 6th Diamond Stakes

Vibrations of an epic battle in World War 2 .I have not seen courage or relentless spirit at such a zenith in flat horse racing.Grundy prevailed by half a length,virtually draining out all resources.

2.Galileo v Fantastic Light-2001 Irish Champion Stakes

Fantastic Light avenged his previous defeat at the hands of Galileo in spectacular fashion.His vast reserves of energy co served won the day for him and mastery of riding tactics.Sad to see a loser on that day.One of racing’s most classical tussles for supremacy with ebb and flow at a crescendo.Frankie Dettori was at his brilliant best .

3.Mtoto v Reference Point 1987 Eclipse Stakes

The ultimate clash of the titans with Mtoto coming out on top.Reference Pint as usual set a scorching pace but Michael Roberts was at his best in conserving the energy of his mount.

4.Roberto v Rheingold-1972 Epsom Derby

The finish had intensity rarely equalled in Sport.Rheingold would have certainly won but for the golden touch of Piggott on Roberto .

5.Dancing Brave-1986 Arc

Equivalent of an epic like a Comet appearing and a bunch of stars extinguished in a galaxy.Dancing Brave’s finishing speed re-defined the biodynamics of racing resembling a streak of lightning coming from no man’s land.

6.Ehraab-1994 Epsom Derby

Gave a sensation of a 360 degree turn in plot of a Hollywood epic with a character just jumped in.Carson at his brilliant best.

7.Royal Palace v Taj Dewan -1968 Eclipse stakes

One of sport’s most intense battles ever for supremacy with Royal Palace prevailing by a whisker.

8.The Minstrel v Hot Grove 1977 Epsom Derby

Reminiscent of a Mohammad Ali-Cassius Clay boxing bout with intensity at a crescendo.A furlong from home the result looked a foregone conclusion before Lester revealed wizardry in the saddle in regions of divinity to virtually give his mount a new life.

9.Petoski v Oh So Sharp-1985 King George

Willie Carson at his absolute best tapping every ounce of energy from his mount and timing the finish perfectly.

10.Sir Ivor-1968 Epsom Derby

Not the most competitive field but still the greatest finishing burst ever in the Blue Riband,as tough a another race had started.Sir Ivor simply flew past Connaught like lightning appearing on the track.

11.Sharastani-Dancing Brave in 1986 Epsom Derby

Walter Swinburn was tactically at his best on Sharastani but arguably Starkey’s tactics cost Dancing Brave the race.In the manner of lightning striking Dancing Brave made an exhilarating burst but failed to catch Sharastani.

12=Ribero v Canterbury-1968 St Leger

In tricky conditions with Lester astride Roberto prevailed after a fierce battle

12=.Giants Causeway v Kalanisi-2000 Juddmonte International

I find it hard to visualize any horse pegging it’s way back in the manner of Giant’s Causeway who revealed the character of a soldier who always ressurected from the depths of despair.In a protracted battle it wa s impossible to beat Giant’s causeway who had the heart of a lion,like when he overpowered Kalanisi.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3784

I do love a tremendous tussle but aesthetically, in recent years (I don’t have much knowledge of flat history) Frankel’s 2000 guineas was 😮

My first thought was ” oh dear, he’s running away with the jockey, what a pity that’s stuffed it, it will be toe curling watching him empty out and get passed by everything” Then “he does look rather magnificent alone in front though, better just enjoy his run while it lasts” Then “He’s not stopping….” :yahoo:

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 460

Indeed. I remember thinking “Queally will get crucified for this” after a couple of furlongs.

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@greenasgrass I don’t mean to demean anyone and agree Frankel’s performance was supernatural who could sit with the Gods of Olympus.However horse racing is also about the thrills or excitement it gives with supremacy not the criteria.Grundy Dancing Brave or Roberto hardly won with the pomp of a Sea Bird,Robot or Shergar but still gave the racing public more thrills.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 751

Enable v Crystal Ocean in last year’s King George.

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1782

Harbinger beating a multiple G1 winner in the 2010 King George Bumper by 11 lengths and travelling very wide.
    Cape Blanco won the Irish Champion Stakes next time out by 6 lengths

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.