The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best chaser never to have won a Cheltenham Gold cup?

Home Forums Horse Racing Best chaser never to have won a Cheltenham Gold cup?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

Here I am ranking in order of merit the best steeplechasers who have never won a cheltenham Gold cup the race.The following year it was an unfortunate faller.I have ranked the unluckiest in a seperate list,after.I am only considering chasers who have participated in a Gold cup.

1.Pendil

Poessed Supreme class.Arguably faulty riding tactics by Jockey Pitman by letting him out too early rather than keeping reserves for a thrust at the end ,cost him the race.Pendil was literally caught unaware by the Dikler,failing to adjust it’s momentum at the end.The subsequent year Pendil was unfortunately brought down.On merit the best chaser of his day.

2.Wayward Lad

Should have won the 1986 Gold cup but his class could not prevail over the courage of Dawn Run.After the last looked like sailing home but then seemed to ave tapped his reserves of energy.Could well have won 2 gold cups when you consider his sheer class.

3.Diamond Edge

This star had sheer class winning whitbread gold cups and a Hennessy with great authority.In prep races it trashed Gd cup stars like Alverton or Tied Cottage.Probably the Cheltenham ground acted against him.

4.Tied Cottage(Unofficial winner of 1980 Gold cup)

On merit the winner of the 1980 race,with a startling start to finish eight length win.Tied Cottage made a Muhammad Ali style comeback after falling at the last in 1979 when in the lead,neck to neck with Alverton.In 1977 finished runner up in the Gold cup and Irish grand national.Very sadly disqualified after traces of theobromine detected in post-race feed,which could have not possibly have had any effect on his peformance.With the race at his mercy in 1979 he could well have won 2 Gold cups.No horse ever spent so much time out there in the front of the pack like Tied Cottage,remniscent of a conductor leading a symphony.

5.Jack of Trumps

Sadly brought down when going very well in 1980,and in terms of class only behind Diamond Edge.Valiantly combated the great Silver Buck as a runner u in 1979 King George and won top class races in Ireland.

6.Night Nurse

Ran the race of his life to come back like a Tiger out of the Woods to rub shoulders with winner.Little Owl in 1981 Gold Cup.Led till the bend,then faded out before again spectacularly darting back into contention.Won some top chases in 1979 and1980 and twice 2nd favourite.

Unluckiest chasers in order of merit

1.Pendil
    2.Tied Cottage(disqualified after winning in 1980)
    3.Wayward Lad

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23819

Exotic Dancer was a bit unlucky to run into Kauto Star
    I wouldn’t class him as the best chaser never to have won a Gold Cup but certainly was clear of the others bar Kauto in 2007

Member since March 2008
    shipithollabolla
    Participant
    • Total Posts 117

Gloria Victis deserves to be in the conversation. Gave 15lbs and a total shellacking to high 150s chaser Marlborough in the Racing Post Chase.

I finally forced myself to watch that awful Gold Cup replay again recently. Incredible he was still in there fighting on the home turn against Looks Like Trouble and Florida Pearl despite jumping violently right at every fence. He must have lost 20 lengths on his way around, not to mention all the effort of changing his legs and lost momentum.

He even seemed to kick away from them again after the third-last then lost his action off the home turn and might well have even been injured before he took off at the second-last. It’s still the worst loss of a horse I can think of – how many King Georges might have been his? He would’ve been unbeatable right-handed. Peak Kauto Star v Gloria Victis around Kempton would have been a very close match.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2948

Pendil would have won 2 with a decent jockey aboard. Don’t know whether John Francome rode Pendil but he said Wayward Lad was the best chaser he ever rode. The mare’s allowance cost Wayward Lad a Gold Cup. Agree about Tied Cottage, how unlucky? You had to feel sorry for him.

GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1193

Crisp.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4908

Flyingbolt.

Admittedly didn’t run in the Gold Cup, so doesn’t fulfil IP’s criteria, but arguably should have been given a chance.

Well capable of winning the Gold Cup at best, but unfortunate enough to be around at the same time and in the same stable as Arkle. Instead connections had to be ‘content’ with winning the 1966 Two Mile Champion Chase and then finishing a close third in the Champion hurdle a day later. He won the Irish National the same season under 12-7, so unlikely distance would have stopped him. Pound for pound with Height O’ Fashion that was a better performance than that of Arkle in 1964.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Agree with Yeats, the obvious one is Wayward Lad, beaten by Dawn Runs allowance. I was only twelve at the time, it still bugs me lol.

I loved Tied Cottage as well, that was another hard one to take.

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 94

Gay Spartan could be in the picture – ante post favourite after winning the King George, at the peak of his powers but alas picked up an injury days before the race.

Border Incident had just reached his peak as a second season chaser winning the Embassy Final, then his prep in the Jim Ford before Cheltenham before becoming unsound at home and missing the big one.

And in later years Cyfor Malta was scything up through the ranks and beat the two who would finish first and second at Cheltenham in his trial but then also sustained an injury.

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1776

I think One Man has contended a Gold Cup but never won, it was only when they dropped him in distance that he won the Queen Mother Champion Chase, then met with a unfortunate fatal accident.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

Id go with wayward lad

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1776

Another one who was raved about was Carvil Hill. After winning the Welsh National by a country mile, been beaten in that season Cheltenham Gold Cup was unthought of until Golden Freeze spoilt the party. Golden Freeze thorough ran his normal to race and eventually finished last.

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 753

Of the aforementioned, the great Wayward Lad instantly springs to mind as does hugely talented Gloria Victis. These two fine horses could/should/would have won a Gold Cup in an alternative world. Big, big shame!

Two others I think that deserves a mention are the enigmatic Combs Ditch and Monsignor who had the immense potential to be a superstar chaser if that tendon injury never had happened.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23819

If we include horses that have not run in a Gold Cup but would have won then Vautour
    Cheers Ricci… :whistle:

Member since March 2008
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1169

Have to agree with Pendil; he was the most athletic jumper I ever watched, but very little footage seems to be available that really captures this. I remember him comfortably beating Tingle Creek around Sandown and his jumping that day was quite spectacular, almost like a cat.
    Having said all that, it’s doubtful he would have beaten Captain Christy in that Gold Cup; on his day (which was hard to predict) the Captain was unbeatable, and he beat Pendil comfortably in the following King George (again, v little footage, alas)

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1169

Just watched Tied Cottage’s Gold Cup; he really does attack the first fence like a rocket!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.