The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best 3yo Ever…

Home Forums Horse Racing Best 3yo Ever…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RobinFromIreland
    • Total Posts 72

Perhaps better to focus on the milers/middle-distance horses as opposed to great 3yo sprinters (i.e. Dayjur, Mozart) or extreme stayers; wouldn’t have been pointed at the Classics anyways.

Could only think of Vaguely Noble? Anybody got other ones?

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Pentire might have won the Derby had he been entered.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Yes, it’s Vaguely Noble for me as well.

He was an outstanding colt, I remember him winning at Ascot as a 2-y-o (Duke of Edinburgh stakes?), a staggering performance.

He would have been a certainty in the Derby.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Last year was a great example, in terms of brilliant horses missing the british classics – Shamardal was in the form at the time to have won the guineas and hurricane Run (like scorpion) IMO was sent to the wrong derby (if theyd went to epsom a day earlier it would have been some race)

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

zilzal 89 guineas would of left nashwan standing

Arazi
    • Total Posts 263

Quote: from newyork on 12:33 am on Oct. 1, 2006[br]zilzal 89 guineas would of left nashwan standing

I agree. Zilzal is still one of the best milers I have ever seen, his winning performance in the 89′ QEII is up there with Mark Of Esteem & George Washington’s victories IMO. Unfortunately, he was retired too soon and therefor doesn’t get mentioned very often when their is talk of great milers. If he had been kept in training I believe he would have carried all before him in 1990.

Polish Precedent who finished second to Zilzal in the QEII never ran in a classic but was a top class three year old as well.

I may be wrong but I don’t believe Selkirk ever ran in a classic and he was a top class miler at three years old.

Like Cormack15 said, Pentire was a top class three year old.

I can’t think of any others off the top of my head but Zilzal is most certainly the best horse that I’ve seen never to run in a classic.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

not to forget arazi who imo would of carried all before him if he had not be sent to america for the kentucky derby which like johanasburg the trip finished them off

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from newyork on 1:33 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]not to forget arazi who imo would of carried all before him if he had not be sent to america for the kentucky derby which like johanasburg the trip finished them off

Dont agree, Johannerg was just too well formed at the time to train on.  Arazi was a good two old but his rating for that Breeders cup was much higher then he ever achived at  home.  I wonder if he just outstayed them in the breeders cup.

SHL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.