The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

BBC funding to be axed

Home Forums Lounge BBC funding to be axed

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3988

….That is actually the best argument I’ve read for preserving BBC funding – brilliant, in fact!

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1506

When N Ireland leaves the UK (thanks Brexit), what I shall miss most is David Attenborough and the incredible work of the BBC Natural History Unit.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

I must watch half a dozen programmes a year on the BBC but I use the radio extensively. R3 is excellent andt R4 is quite wonmderully unique. the Today programme is the best news coverage on radio or tv

I can see though that the fee cannot be justified for many people. Whats on tv anyway? Wheres the Homeland, the Bureau or Narcos? I don’t even look

Not entirely sure what the answer is.

As for politics, no one is going to convince me that BBC wasn’t heavily pro heavy lockdown and pro remain. What the BBC sees in a taxpayer funded smug heavily bureaucratic unaccountable organisation which has its headquarters in two places. I have no idea

As for QT. Farage represents a lot of voters. Not mine but how often are libdem representatives on the programmes? And when I was watching. the awful monstrous ego Shami Chakerabati was never off the programme. We’ve also been through this before and this is why forums are a waste of time. Charles
    Kennedy appeared many ore times than Farage (I would say he probably didn’t remember many of them but he was such a decent nice bloke, that would be unfair)

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2818

I think the abolition of the free licence fee for the 75 and over is a huge mistake. For some that age it’s brings comfort. I know it’s still free for those on pension credit, but how many are claiming it. Also black and white is still cheaper plus no licence required for radio, but these are in a minority.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 874

“I must watch half a dozen programmes a year on the BBC but I use the radio extensively. R3 is excellent andt R4 is quite wonmderully unique.”

This is what people forget, the BBC is far bigger than BBC News (although even that is well respected and trusted on a global scale). You can probably kiss goodbye to a lot of things the BBC does very well soon as it simply won’t have the money.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Throughout the pandemic I’ve watched Bob Ross’s ‘Joy of Painting’ on BBC 4. It was a stroke of genius showing those half hour programmes at a time that many people were feeling quite stressed out. Even now, if I can’t sleep, I listen to Bob on catchup and I’ve nodded off 15 minutes into the programme. I don’t know whose idea it was to show those programmes but they deserve some sort of public service medal. I also used lockdown time to watch Merlin on catchup: a series I’d never watched first time round and was a forerunner of all the fantasy series that now fill other channels. Horrible Histories for the kids and Greg Jenners Homes school history to help beleaguered parents trying to homeschool their children. The BBC soon produced a package of educational programmes for lockdown children. Radio 6 if I want to catch up with new and innovative music. The licence is worth it just for the David Attenborough programmes that have sold all over the world. It was BBC 4 that discovered the Scandi noir series that, imo, pushed up the standard of crime drama produced in this country.I’ve recently binge watched The Tourist and Outlaws: prior to that it was The Serpent, Years and Years, The Terror ( that I watched several time and studied everything I could about the actual event). Sam Willis’s excellent programmes on BBC4 along with all of the art programmes.People aren’t going to risk showing new and innovative programmes if they rely on advertising.

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 887

LOL Moehat … my brother and I got into the habit of watching Bob Ross on BBC 4 during lockdown too. We came to a similar conclusion that he induces a sleepy feeling … something to do with his calm, relaxing voice and the seductive way how he crunches his bristles into the canvas. It sends us into a torpid state. At the same time, one can only marvel at the mini-masterpieces he produces at the end of each episode.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

Watched some of those Bob Ross programmes and enjoyed them but they are 30+ years old and American so can hardly be used to help justify the TV Licence; furthermore they’ve been available for free on Youtube for several years

Like Clive, I too value BBC Radio far more than I do BBC Television, or TV in general really; hence am more concerned about what will happen to that if the licence is scrapped. In addition to 3 and 4 I’d add much of Radio 2’s evening output, which is somewhat ‘niche’; local Radio; and the World Service, which although not listened to much personally is undoubtedly held in the highest regard globally

If the beeb want to save money then do away with Sports programming entirely: a case in point last week when both they and Eurosport were showing the Masters Snooker. Why use licence money to show an event that was available for free (non-Sky subs) elsewhere? Sports broadcasting rakes in advertising money so leave it all to the commercial stations

Incidentally, excellent though Attenborough’s latest romp ‘The Green Planet’ is, why oh why the intrusive ‘mood muzak’ that seems to infect all natural history programming nowadays. Wouldn’t the sounds of nature be just fine, or, heaven forfend, interludes of silence in which to absorb the wonders

I wouldn’t be bothered if things continued unchanged forever as £160 a year remains good value given the vast amount the BBC produce but the idea of needing a licence to watch a televsion is archaic and will have to change. The surprise perhaps being that it’s lasted 100 years

Some sort of BBC subscription I guess, but according to the piss-poor Nadine Dorries in the Commons today, the debate starts now and will last until the charter runs out in 2027: so let’s see what happens

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 874

‘If the beeb want to save money then do away with Sports programming entirely: a case in point last week when both they and Eurosport were showing the Masters Snooker. Why use licence money to show an event that was available for free (non-Sky subs) elsewhere?’

Snooker fans pay the licence fee too. 90% of what I watch on the BBC is sport. I don’t think you’ll get the football World Cup, European Championship, Six Nations, Wimbledon, Olympics (summer and winter), the three major snooker events plus all the other sport which the BBC shows for £160 a year in future. Admittedly they have far less than they used to but if it all goes it’ll be spread amongst multiple providers. I’m not sure Eurosport is free either, usually included in the cheapest packages I think but not free (and as things stand you still have to pay the licence fee anyway).

They’d better bloody leave University Challenge and Only Connect alone too.

I do wonder what will happen with over 75s as well. I suspect they are major consumers of the BBC so will they be happy to start paying for it?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

The highlight of our week is quiz night and if we can get a couple of correct answers on University Challenge we’re happy. As for Only Connect I think we get an answer right once in a blue moon and we’re over the moon when we do. Can you imagine a programme like that taking off on another channel. Speaking to a friend tonight she said when people could only meet up in gardens she and her son would put Bob Ross on the tv and both do a Bob Ross painting in the garden. I guess, if you’re standing up and outside, you don’t nod off. But I can’t help but feel I’d just keel over and land in the herbaceous border. Amazes me how he times the paintings so they take exactly 30 minutes. Mind you, last night/this morning, there was a tiny white splodge on one of his paintings. I was sure he would go back to it and correct it but he didn’t. It’s still bothering me….even Dorries’s fellow Conservatives we’re criticising her today. I bet she wished she could say I’m an MP get me out of here. Do the Tory MP’s defending Johnson not realise they are going to end up on the wrong side of history.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3988

I tuned in for “Eve Of The Daleks” on New Year’s Day – that was the first time I’d tuned into the BBC since….Christ, ages, the Newsnight that got Emily Maitless suspended?

That said, I hardly ever switch the telly on at all – ITV Racing on mute about once a month.

I’d gladly switch paying the licence fee for ten delivered curries!

Guessing I’m atypical!

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 874

On the subject of University Challenge, please enjoy this clip of a quite simply superb answer.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Oh dear…!

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10078

^Wot she said^ :good:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

And that, dear reader, inspired the birth of woke’ism….

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1016

I couldn’t catch what the real answer was.

You're old enough to kill but not for votin'
    You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'?
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 874

The real answer was ‘regiments of the British Army’.

To be honest, even if I knew it I’d have been tempted to say the same thing.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.