The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bannow Strand

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

5/4 in the RP tissue, and 5.1 on the exchanges……….. im very wary of Pipe/Johnson drifters but if he is fit and well, surely he wins this with quite a bit in hand.

Opinions?

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Improved with switch to fences last season. PU in last 3 starts but they were in decent contests. Also untried over 2m 6f under rules though did win an Irish point.<br>Rated 31 lb higher over fences than hurdles, must have  a good chance if on song.<br>Lack of value because of connections and their recent successful approach with similar type in Joaaci  

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Will you be a backer, layer or watcher today Lingfield? if the price gets too big (although just looked and he’s shortened a bit) i will have a min stakes bet probably but if he stays at his current price i will just see what happens.

rolandroland
    • Total Posts 302

i’m sure i heard somewhere that he had a breathing operation over the summer which was blamed for his poor final runnings last season.<br>it didnt look like it worked though on his last run where he stopped as if shot entering the home straight. It wo’nt be seeing any of my money i’m afraid.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Maybe he has, but it seems strange that a breathing problem has come to light at this late stage. depends what sort of a ‘noise’ he makes though.

I looked after a horse (he wasn’t very good) and every jock told me he made a ‘noise’, in the end he had a soft pallet operation, thinking he would be sound, but it made no difference………. but the operation combined with tongue tie seemed to do the trick (the tongue tie on its own had made no difference before).

Be interesting to watch him today though

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

What i was meant to include is that if he doesnt have to come off the bridle, which is a distinct possibility in this race he may just be okay.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Stormont<br>Don’t know whether this helps or not, but his half-brother was a persistent ‘bleeder’.<br>(In more ways than one:) )

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from reet hard on 2:18 pm on Jan. 17, 2007[br]Stormont<br>Don’t know whether this helps or not, but his half-brother was a persistent ‘bleeder’.<br>(In more ways than one:) )

So was my namesake……….. excuse the pun but bleeders are  bloody hard work for all involved. Very hard to catch right considering the only thing they can run on over here are herbal remedies that rarely work that well.

I just think he could win this on the bridle, but judging by the very bad drift (i have just had a couple of quid on) doesn’t look like today will be the day.

I do get annoyed with these pipe drifters…….. often this horse too…….. he does strike me as the stable gambling horse. He ran in the challow first time out didnt he? then he was seen at some gaf track like Fontwell drifted from long odds on to odds against and Timmy made no effort………. but nothing is ever done about the Pipe yard

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Anyone give me the heads up……. lack of RUK here.

The betfair in running market, very interesting, about 4 horses were backed at odds on. The pre race FAV was matched at a high of about 40 and a low of about 1.4…………..

Bannow went from 1.89 to 1000 in a very short time, suggesting he stopped very quickly again

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

In-running tell syou wahat you need to know. Folded so tamely he must have a physical problem.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Or he just wasn’t fit……….. as i said before, i don’t think ive ever seen this horse drift and still win.

Maybe there is something wrong, but he looks so good when he does win (always well backed).

Im going to leave this horse alone from now on.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>To say ‘nothing is ever done about the Pipe yard’ rather overlooks the horse that was banned from running at the Cheltenham festival, Celtic Son.

You seem to automatically assume that when a horse like this drifts, it’s down to the stable – whereas it’s quite possible that punters take a view on a horse with form figures that look like a tricky Countdown conundrum and prefer not to back it at short prices.

AP

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

opened 3/1, SP 6/1 told its own story

War Admiral
    • Total Posts 23

A few seasons ago in a maiden hurdle a Taunton, a horse trained by Pipe Snr and owned by David Johnson opened 6/1 and drifted wildly in the betting eventually going off 12/1. The horse won by 5 lenghts and was called Well Chief.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Doubtless true, but in the main any "value" in connections’s horses is taken in advance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.