The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ballysax 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Ballysax 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2184

(3:55) 72D P.W.McGrath Memorial Ballysax Stakes
    (Group 3) €42,315.00 ( 1m 2f – 3yo )
    1 4 Fame And Glory (GB)(112) (APO’Brien) – JPMurtagh ……………. 9,06
    2 9 Dixie Music (APO’Brien) – SMLevey…… 9,01
    3 5 Fergus McIver(93) (JSBolger) – KJManning(C) ……….. 9,01
    4 7 Hail Caesar(105) (APO’Brien) – JAHeffernan ………….. 9,01
    5 6 Liszt (APO’Brien) – CO’Donoghue………. 9,01
    6 2 Mourayan(111) (JMOxx) – MJKinane…… 9,01
    7 3 Nafaath(91) (KPrendergast) – DPMcDonogh………… 9,01
    8 8 Tarankali(76) (JMOxx) – NGMcCullagh… 9,01
    9 10 Vitruvian Man (GB)(107) (JMOxx) – FMBerry ……………….. 9,01
    10 1 Grace O’Malley (DKWeld) – PJSmullen . 8,12

Any opinions? It doesn’t look the strongest renewal of the race IMO. Fame And Glory I think is going to struggle to concede weight to the rest and Aidan’s normally need the run at this time of year. Bolger is having a sparkling start to the season so Fergus McIver deserves respect but he has finished behind both Fame And Glory and Liszt as a 2yo. Kevin Prendergast has won the last two renewals of this but I’m not sure did Rockhampton really advertise Nafaath’s form at Newmarket on Wednesday. If he’s anywhere near peak fitness I think they’re all going to have to go some to catch Mourayan. It doesn’t really look like a race to be getting too involved financially though.

• Total Posts 4293

Just looked up Hail Caesar, and I’m fairly sure he’s not a Derby horse. :lol:

Can we take it for granted that Fame And Glory is regarded by Aidan as one of his two or three main Epsom Derby hopes, and that he will definitely be aimed there [edit: on the back of the fact he is running in this particular race] ?

Been won by Galileo, High Chapparal and Yeats.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Would not surprise me if Oxx was 1st and 2nd. The question is did they winter well? Vitruvian Man was very highly thought of last year although he failwed to live up to expectations on the track; very interesting field. At least 4 Montjeu’s in the field and only 1 Galileo.Did Coolmore put their eggs in the wrong basket or their basket in the wrong eggs?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Obviously Morayan would look the one to beat here, however, AOB has quite a few runners here and could be setting the pace up for Fame and Glory, as they did in france.

It would really be AOBs bag to put out an unbeaten group1 winner to be beaten in weak grade to be beaten, so 5-1 looks a pretty good price on him.

Also have a likeing for dermot weld’s filly and 16-1 about her isnt a bad price.

20-1 on Prendergasts Nafaath aslo looks big, bearing mind he’s won the last two runnings. So Think I’ll bet this.

2pts win Fame and Glory @ 5-1
    1pt win Grace O’Malley @ 16-1
    1pt win Nafaath @ 20-1

Will have a little win bet on Fame and Glory for epsom also.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Though he’s won it 5 times in the last 10 years, High Chapparal has been his only gp1 winner to contest it, and the fact that he’s taken the trouble to have a racecourse gallop suggests he means business with Fame And Glory?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Obviously Morayan would look the one to beat here, however, AOB has quite a few runners here and could be setting the pace up for Fame and Glory, as they did in france.

It would really be AOBs bag to put out an unbeaten group1 winner to be beaten in weak grade to be beaten, so 5-1 looks a pretty good price on him

I love it when a plan comes together. :D Its easy to ask afterwards why he was ever allowed to be 5-1 under the circumstances?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Took a little bit of 16-1 before that race about Fame and Glory but am going to have 3pts on @ 10-1 for epsom as was rather taken by that performance and looks to be a good one for epsom, whether another comes out better on the day is a different matter but that was good IMO and he will shorten before the day.

Means I have a lttle bit of leeway with Gan Amhras, who is becoming very interesting to me.

• Total Posts 4293

As people have probably gathered from the Derby thread, I have been on Fame And Glory since Christmas, but only to £2, £2 and £5.

Haven’t seen the race, but the stupid question I want to ask is this: Is there any chance of Fame And Glory being brought back to 1m for the 2000 Guineas?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Haven’t seen the race, but the stupid question I want to ask is this: Is there any chance of Fame And Glory being brought back to 1m for the 2000 Guineas?

Absolutely none whatsoever gerald, hes not that sort of horse. He only got on top towards the finish and even then looks the type who will need to have a fast pace set out for him withj cut underfoot when he goes to epsom.

• Total Posts 2184

Fairly taking performance from the winner. I genuinely thought he’d struggle to concede weight all round but he does look a nice prospect. Haven’t read any of the post-race quotes but I presume he’ll be back again for the Derrinstown?

I didn’t think Mick was at his best on Mourayan to be honest. Doubt he’d have troubled the winner given a clear run aound the bend anyway but I wouldn’t be writing him off completely on the basis of that one run. He seemed to get a bit tapped for toe when they quickened in the straight but he stayed on really well and he should appreciate further.

• Total Posts 4293

AOB didn’t give a definite yes to the Derrinstown, but just said it was one of the options. That presumably would leave open the option of him coming over either for the Dante, or one of the Chester trials. AOB seems to like Chester a helluva lot more than he used to.

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

I thought any problems for Mourayan may have started before the straight, Imperial Call?

Without sectional timing it’s hard to to say at what point the pace changed but I just thought he didn’t negotiate the bend too well. Thought the horse actually looked a bit frightened being on the rail and having to negotiate its way around at decent pace.
    He took a few strides to get going didn’t he? Then just a wee worry about his head carriage at one stage before he started to get the hang of things in the last furlong.
    Looks like he will appreciate further but whether he’d come out on top against either of the front two, I’m not sure.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I thought Kinnane let O’Briens pace maker get in his way when the real race started. Very unusual since he is supposed to be the Leopardstown expert.He could change the outcome over a longer trip But those Montjues get better over the longer distances . Finally a real Montjue at Ballydoyle. No head carriage problems no swerving away from the whip.A cool performance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Thought Murtagh rode a perfect race and that may have been the difference between the first 3. Manning went for his a bit early and he tied up in the final furlong, Kinnane was asleep when the front 3 kicked on the final bend, perhaps he’d have won if Mick was more alert and a bit closer. Fame and Glory looks a typical Ballydoyle grinder who’ll get the Derby trip no problem but he certainly wasnt head and shoulders above the opposition today. Difficult to draw any major conclusions as jockeyship looked to play a big factor. Fergal Mc Iver wont stay 12f on that evidence, Mourayan I’d like to see again.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I just don’t think we will see anything "head and shoulders" over Mourayan this year at any weight.If todays performance was anything it certainly was not a "grinder" It was smooth and gentle like a leaf falling off a tree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Mourayan did not get a clear run around the bend, going from lengths in front of Fame And Glory to lengths behind. So would not write Mourayan off yet.
    In that respect Fame And Glory was flattered. However, with AOB not in great form yet and breeding which suggests he’ll be better at 1m4f (or further); I was fairly impressed by the winner. Must be regarded as one of the favourites; but 7/1 does not look value at this stage. Especially as Crowded House, such a good winner of the Racing Post, is available at just a point less.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    rip van winkle
    • Total Posts 12

delighted with fame and glory’s win well i would have to be considering i backed him antepost for the derby on sat at 20/1!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.