The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Baby Mix – Pleasing Performance

Home Forums Horse Racing Baby Mix – Pleasing Performance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

I was much taken with Baby Mix performance today in disposing of Hinterland with a degree of ease despite running a bit green in the closing stages.
    I’m also really pleased that Paddy Brennan has something potentially very useful to look forward to riding, after the nepotism that ruined his tenure as stable jockey to Twiston Davis

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26580

Agree, it’s great for Brennen and Tom George to have a potentially top class horse Goggy. I’ve taken the 10/1 for the Triumph! If he were trained by Nicholls or Henderson he’d be less than half that price. Beat a very promising Nicholls horse easily, not that Hinterland was below form, coming clear of the rest. Only negative for Baby Mix a high tail, sometimes a trait of temperamental horses. However, Baby Mix ran on genuinely on this occasion. Jumps well and obviously acts well at Cheltenham. I like French four year olds as they are by and large more mature and so more likely to be of Triumph winning standard by March time.

value is everything
    Limestone Lad
    • Total Posts 13

Although you have to be pleased with that performance, I don’t think we should get carried away. Jackie’s Solitaire in third, has gained a bit of ground on Hinterland, and is rated 117. Hinterland had to make his own running as well, which may or may not be the best way to go with him. Could be another overrated horse just because of who trains him.

Baby Mix got the run of the race and used his speed to leave Hinterland for dead. The Triumph will be a completely different proposition and I think promoting him to favourite is just a bit silly.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Another one of those very visually-taking displays and I was half-tempted to reach for the mouse and click on some 10s. I resisted as I’m always a wee bit wary of such performances from horses who’ve been unsupported in the market. I suppose Tom George doesn’t have that much to compare it with but even at that . . .

Odd tail-carriage struck me too as did the unusual head-carriage – not lifting his neck high enough to be classed a ‘standard’ high head-carriage but nose pointing almost horizontal.

Still, could be anything but I was impressed by Newbury winner Urbain De Sivola and I daresay there are a few high-priced ones tucked away in the dark boxes of Ditcheat and Seven Barrows waiting to be unleashed.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26580

For me, there is no need to wait for other contenders to come out of the woodwork. Judging by what standard is needed for an average Triumph winner and with probable improvement to come, Baby Mix should in my opinion be a lot shorter than 10/1.

value is everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

I would add to the above that the ground probably favoured the winner and doubtful it will be quicker in March.

RubyisgodinthesaddleRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1155

Very good performance and really delighted for connections.

Tom George really is a good trainer IMO.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.