The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

At The Races/Luke Harvey Shambles

Home Forums Horse Racing At The Races/Luke Harvey Shambles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

What a shambles ATR was today good job most people were watching York on RUK first they lost the sound to Brighton race , then choas as Tralee was evacuated they missed the start of the first race when it resumed 45 minutes later had to have commentary from Gary O’Brein down a mobile phone as they had no pictures and Luke Harvey didnt have a clue what he was doing. I think they put him in there hoping for a quiet afternoon while everyone was on the other side watching York. Please ATR no more Luke Harvey in the booth hes useless. Good job York was on Racing UK I cant imagine what it would have been like on ATR. Get your act together ATR.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Luke in the booth? Crikey! Still, he’s a lovely fella.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4722

Steve

You are unnecessarily harsh on Luke Harvey. He’s not a race commentator and I’m damned sure he wouldn’t claim to be one, but having been dumped upon big time he did manage to call the first and second home correctly. I’m not sure I could have done better at such short notice.

Rob

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

not talking about his commentary talking about the way he ran the whole show from the booth it was unprofessional

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Give me Harvey or anyone else for that matter instead of the **** who’s in the betting booth tonight :evil:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

not talking about his commentary talking about the way he ran the whole show from the booth it was unprofessional

Didn’t see any of it steveh31, but if there’s been a loss of sound, and an evacuation to boot, it seems a bit tight to be doling out the "unprofessional" cards to someone who doesn’t claim to be a "professional" booth-jockey?

Chubs
    • Total Posts 67

more of matt champman please

YA HA :lol:

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I don’t get ATR, so didn’t see it, but he was embarrassingly clueless and unprofessional when he was on radio 5.

No wonder they ditched the morning racing slot, and Harvey must bear a lot of responsibility for its disappearance. Who wants to listen to a giggling imbecile like him?

Clearly, he hasn’t learnt anything since then.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i think he does a good job and while there are a few other presenters on tv that aren’t my cup of tea i’m trying not to anonymously beat up on them on the internet as it’s very easy and not very courageous

sometimes i wonder what people think of themselves and their life when they have to dish out such critique – i suspect it can’t be good and maybe they do it to try and feel better but it doesn’t work imo

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

To be honest I find Tony Ennis the best "booth" presenter – asks the right questions and unlike Chapman and Harvey it doesn’t turn into a complete farce after 15 minutes.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

In fairness, Luke doesn’t claim to be anything great – he takes the mick out of himself often enough for being clueless! As has also been said, with unforeseen events like those most would struggle to keep it all totally together and for the love of God, anyone or anything is better than that a*se Tangoman Chapman.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

I think Matt is brill. It’s a matter of taste in my opinion, but it’s a good point that it is very easy to beat people up from the other side of a screen.

Luke Harvey seems a good sort and was put in a very difficult position today. Fair dues.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

In fairness, Luke doesn’t claim to be anything great – he takes the mick out of himself often enough for being clueless!

That whole personae of the shambling, self-effacing frontman is a tricky one to pull off, I reckon, precisely because the practitioner lays him- or herself open to the greater criticisms of unprofessionalism already levelled on this thread. I’d suggest Sir Bob manages to pull off the feat better than Luke, simply because there is a greater wealth of journalistic talent and integrity, and the mind of a razor, underneath that slightly bewildered demeanour and Healyesque eyebrows.

All that said, however, I would have to agree that Luke found himself caught up in the middle of some fairly extraordinary events yesterday, and anyone who can function to any extent in those without simply running away from the camera screaming is not doing at all badly.

I’m anything but a religious man, but how does that line in the hymn go – slow to chide and swift to bless? Reasonably apposite in this instance, I’d suggest.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

What a shambles ATR was today good job most people were watching York on RUK first they lost the sound to Brighton race , then choas as Tralee was evacuated they missed the start of the first race when it resumed 45 minutes later had to have commentary from Gary O’Brein down a mobile phone as they had no pictures and Luke Harvey didnt have a clue what he was doing. I think they put him in there hoping for a quiet afternoon while everyone was on the other side watching York. Please ATR no more Luke Harvey in the booth hes useless. Good job York was on Racing UK I cant imagine what it would have been like on ATR. Get your act together ATR.

Steve, it was hardly ATR’s fault that there was a a bomb scare or whatever it was that caused an evacuation at Tralee.

ATR are in the main absolutely brilliant. Luke Harvey is a good guy who is just learning the ropes of live broadcasting on television. He didn’t make any mistakes yesterday – ATR would have rehearsed a schedule with him, and that schedule was thrown into chaos because of the events that unfolded. I am amazed that Luke Harvey is copping the blame because ATR had picture losses at Brighton and an evacuation at Tralee – believe me, that would have thrown many presenters off their stride.

Mike

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Steve, it was hardly ATR’s fault that there was a a bomb scare or whatever it was that caused an evacuation at Tralee.

ATR are in the main absolutely brilliant. Luke Harvey is a good guy who is just learning the ropes of live broadcasting on television. He didn’t make any mistakes yesterday – ATR would have rehearsed a schedule with him, and that schedule was thrown into chaos because of the events that unfolded. I am amazed that Luke Harvey is copping the blame because ATR had picture losses at Brighton and an evacuation at Tralee – believe me, that would have thrown many presenters off their stride.

Mike

He made no mistakes were you watching the same channel they should not have someone doing a live three – four hour show who cant cope with the possibilities of problems arising you dont send someone to difuse a bomb if they havent any experience of it in the same way dont put someone on a live show until the have enough experience. They have plenty of people who can do the job when the main three are away like Compton, Cooper etc Im sorry you dont agree but ATR looked very poor yesterday and I never thought Id say this but Racing UK was extremely professionally presented yesterday by Mr Luck. Mr Harvey made loads of mistakes including carrying on rabbiting when the horses had jumped off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.