The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Silver Cup 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Ascot Silver Cup 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17300

Always a decent race this, and a lot of the usual suspects in there….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/2/ascot/2020-12-19/771816

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/ascot-silver-cup-handicap-chase/winner

Not surprisingly for me, I’m drawn to Regal Encore, but he’s not the only one getting my attention….

Beware The Bear – Ran his usual race at Newbury, showing he’s at least in good heart. Not necessarily the race I expected to see him in next, but he’s at least won round here, and though that mark is high enough, he’s capable of this, if in the mood.

Black Corton – Regular in these big Ascot Handicaps, and even off of 160, its hard not to see him involved at the business end.

Jerrysback – Not sure why we haven’t seen him since his third in this last year, but if all is well with him, then he’s got to be considered off the same mark.

Regal Encore – Where to start with this guy? I did a list of horses a couple of years back, ones who kept delivering, but were also perennially underrated and overpriced. I’ll have to add him to it. Still can’t fathom why he was allowed to go off here at 14’s for his last win, but he was. The opening 14’s looks fair, and though his rise in the weights makes it tougher for win purposes, I can’t rule him out, and it’s a solid EW price. Wouldn’t be concerned with his run at Newbury.

The Conditional – Smashing horse, and I thought he’d be favourite. He’s still lurking about in the 140’s, and that gives him every chance, should he come here. The 8’s looks very fair.

Valtor – Won this in very impressive manner two years back, and comes here three pounds lower this time. Hasn’t shown too much recently, but he’s bang there surely, this feels like it’s his target.

I haven’t had a bet yet, and I could go with any of those, but at this time, I’d be with….

Regal Encore 14’s EW
    The Conditional 8’s
    Valtor 20’s

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 574

It has be The Conditional for me at 6-1, I think that is a great price.

I also like Kapcorse at 16-1, now that he has a run under his belt after a long spell on the sidelines. If Kapcorse is declared a week today, I will bet him too.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17300

Still no bet here, but just a question for me of how much lower Regal Encore will go.

Pleased that Valtor is out, as that’s one less distraction.

Probably wait for Final Decs now, but I’m curious as to how far Sub Lieutenant has deteriorated for his change of yard, and the one who looks very big is Beware The Bear at 16’s.

Oscar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 30

If the going is heavy I’d be very interested if Enfant Roi comes here – especially as we’re coming up to Christmas!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17300

Decided to have an early play. I’m hoping that Regal Encore doesn’t go bigger than 9’s, as I’ve had main amount on him, but we’ll see. I’m assuming he goes, but even for this, which looks like an obvious target, he will always be a risky Antepost horse.

I’ll bet Beware The Bear or Sub Lieutenant after Final Decs, but this does look like a good opportunity for The Conditional.

Regal Encore 9’s

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 466

It isn’t a very original choice, but I just have to be with The Conditional here, but I’m with you Oscar, and I’ll be betting Enfant Roi. I’ll hopefully be able to get a good price with 4 places

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17300

Guys, totally see the angle on Enfant Roi.

Don’t know what to do here now. Don’t know whether to stick with Regal, or add Bear or Enfant, plus I can’t comfortably rule out Sub Lieutenant.

Tidy wee race, and there’s the small matter of The Conditional.

Tough one this.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

My top rated is The Conditional but no sort of price in a decent event.

Form is French so I don’t have a figure but, as mentioned by others above, there’s a decent chance ENFANT ROI might take this from a low weight. Testing conditions will certainly be in this one’s favour and 14/1 (16/1 in a place) looks very generous.

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 36

100-30 is just about right for The Conditional here, he must have a great chance off of his present mark.

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 275

Beware The Bear for me at 9-1, I think that’s a fair price considering the track and conditions

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2540

The Conditional for me.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 619

It seems to be risky betting against Regal Encore at Ascot, so he’s ripe for some each way thievery.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 524

Espoir de Guye for me here. Only a 6 year old and clearly still improving. His style of racing suggests that 3 miles shouldn’t be an issue. The heavy ground should be in his favour too.

Espoir de Guye 4/1

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 737

The most likely winner is the conditional however I think flying angel showed a lot more last time , 3 miles in this ground is right up his street and he,s the ew value , both played

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1706

Have taken 9/1 about Regal Encore. can’t imagine The Conditional being suited by Ascot. Not in the first three for me.
    Good luck, all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.