The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arsenal v Celtic – European Cup

Home Forums General Sports Arsenal v Celtic – European Cup

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

After a 6-1 drubbing of Everton on Saturday, the question is will Arsenal score 12 tomorrow night :D

I’m not sure how much Mowbray learnt last season in the PL and believe he may set up this game for the Arsenal youngesters so am having a cheeky tenner on Arsenal to win 3-0 at 22’s with Ladbrokes.

Any thoughts….

Woyd
    • Total Posts 32

I don’t think it will be as easy as everton. There were excuses for everton – I thought lescott played badly and has his eyes on more money at city. In fact I thought the whole of evertons defence was awful. I’m sure moyes will give his team a good talking to next game.

I think celtic will give arsenal a tough game. They have a good european record and did well to beat moscow away in the last round.

Although I think Arsenal has a too stronger squad.
    I would only predict 1-0 or 2-0, in a tightly contested game.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2160

As a chelsea man, find it hard to route for Arsenal …ever

But i will. Cant abide celtic and they will be ripped apart ….

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Lets not get carried away by arsenals win at the weekend. Celtic are very good at home, particularly in the champions league. Personally think a draw is the way to go here as I feel both teams would be happy with that score and subconciously that can have an effect.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Draw for me but hopefully Celtic will give THEM a pasting.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Celtic… in a canter :P

3-0 ! :D

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

I suspect it will be Arsenal by a couple of goals over the two legs. Their class should make the difference. Celtic have enough to cut it at lower levels in Europe, but the lack of quality in their league means that in general that haven’t enough class come group stages or equivalent in Europe. Scottish domestic football is very ordinary bar the top two at the moment.

I wouldn’t read too much into the Everton result. Arsenal look very good when they get it right but can look ordinary as well. Rumour has it that Fabregas may not be fit and that will make a difference.

Rob

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2160

The sides that rattle Arsenal are the Stokes and Boltons of this world. Mowbrays West brom played more football and if, as is likely, Celtic go the same way, then that will be perfect for Arsenal

Arsenal are not always a side full of character (you can imagine JT and lamps just loving taking them apart at Parkhead) so might waver tonight. But if they need to, they will destroy them in the second leg

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I’d be suprised if Arsenal never went through. They are Londons biggest club by a mile and operate as a proper football club. It’s strange that a London club have never won the Euro Cup. Chelsea tried to buy it and failed, but maybe Arsenal can do it playing decent football.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2160

deleted

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

deleted

3 Premier Leagues ( includes 2 since Russian billionaire took over) runners up 3 times ( all since Russian billionaire took over)

5 FA cups ( includes 2 since Russian billionaire took over )

4 League cups (includes 2 since russian billionaire took over )

Arsenal 13 titles & runners up 8 times

10 FA Cups

2 laegue cups

West Ham 2 titles & 4 runners up

8 FA Cups

4 League cups

1 eufa cup

On top of this Arsenal get over 20,000 more per home game, and spend alot less money on transfer fees.

Chelsea are closer to West Ham than they are arsenal. West Ham get higher home gates than Chelsea, and have won 3 more FA cups, and it would be more if the Russian didn’t buy Chelsea.

deleted

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I can see from the posts so far that Chelsea are no good and Arsenal are the cream of London – let’s see what tonight’s results do.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Clive/Graeme – steady lads.

btw- didn’t West Ham win the World Cup once?

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Two fortuitous goals :cry:

That said, Arsenal’s non- English team of over-paid mercenaries probably just deserved to edge it, as Celtic, who even though had more possession, lacked that extra special quality ( McGeady apart ) at this level.

Money talks.

Anyhow, we look forward to meeting Rangers in the Europa league later on. :wink:

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

A good game and a fair result I think.

Was a bit disappointed with the Celtic supporters – very quiet and never thought you lot went home early.

And, when then did sing why were they singing Liverpool’s song?

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2160

deleted

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

A good game and a fair result I think.

Was a bit disappointed with the Celtic supporters – very quiet and never thought you lot went home early.

And, when then did sing why were they singing Liverpool’s song?

The atmosphere was electric but not at the level it has been on past occasions.

Some supporters always leave early – whether winning, losing or drawing – especially the Irish contingent, who have ferries and planes to catch.

As for the Liverpool song, as you call it. Celtic have been singing this song at Parkhead since Gerry and The Pacemakers had a hit with YNWA in the mid 60s. No one is sure which set of fans were first to sing it – the "Kop" or The Jungle ( Celtic’s famous old side terracing). One Celtic old bhoy ( and historian) told me that Celtic sang it first – weeks before Liverpool, but this I cannot verify. Anyhow, it has been a standard at CP since the 60s.

Everton stole The Celtic Song ( yes, that is its title )… you know the one -"it’s a grand old team…" etc, a few years ago. A song penned by singer/songwriter Glen Daly and especially composed for his beloved Celtic in 1961.

No one has questioned their bare faced cheek. Why ? :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.