The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arkle 2011

Home Forums Archive Topics Arkle 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2440

That was very impressive from Ghizao.

Nice to see too as he is a horse that i have stated many a time (especially on here), that i like and that should be a good horse for the future.

No doubt they would go faster in an Arkle than they went today, especially early on, but he did seem to step on the gas when needed to, jumped his fences fast and economically, and was visually impressive.

Now the market leader for The Arkle.

Very impressive.

• Total Posts 638

Anyone have any news on Thousand Stars?
    Thanks.

• Total Posts 128

Thanks.

Heard he’d had a few niggles, and wont be seen til after Christmas, over fences I believe. Thats just what i heard, its not gospel!!!!

• Total Posts 128

Thanks.

Heard he’d had a few niggles, and wont be seen til after Christmas, over fences I believe. Thats just what i heard, its not gospel!!!!

• Total Posts 2440

That was very impressive from Ghizao.

Nice to see too as he is a horse that i have stated many a time (especially on here), that i like and that should be a good horse for the future.

No doubt they would go faster in an Arkle than they went today, especially early on, but he did seem to step on the gas when needed to, jumped his fences fast and economically, and was visually impressive.

Now the market leader for The Arkle.

Very impressive.

Another very good performance from Ghizao today :wink: . I have no idea how well he jumped, travelled, etc… as i couldnt see a thing. However, Im quite pleased as i could see his talent many times last year, however, didnt know where his future targets would be, so couldnt back him Ante-Post for anything really.

Have said in the past when he came up against Lidar in previous duals, that Ghizao looks a lovely horse, very high paced animal, and deserves to be favourite of the Ante-Post Arkle betting.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Aren’t any of you interested in Rock Noir of JP Mac? I had £2 on him at 310 on Betfair, and after he absolutely sauntered in a race last week, against not bad horses, he’s come into 25s – though he’s still available at 50s with BF.

But, imo, unless people know he’s not running in it, 16s would be generous. He was the best 4-year old hurdler in France, I believe, in 2009, beating Jumbo Rio half a length in a Grade 1.

sonyador
    • Total Posts 1

Does anyone know what’s happened to Punjabi? Big fan of the horse and was looking forward to seeing him over the bigger obstacles. Also, any news on Casual Conquest ? (though obviously not for the Arkle!)

• Total Posts 46

given a year off apparently!^

• Total Posts 2184

Also, any news on Casual Conquest ? (though obviously not for the Arkle!)

Casual Conquest has been gelded and the plan was to go jumping but DK feels he needs a bit more time to get over his tendon injury. It’ll be next winter before he sees a hurdle in public.

robselway
    • Total Posts 5

GHIZAO! Get on! All the way! I’m furious that I missed the 12/1. It’s a two horse race isn’t it? Ghizao & Finians? 6/1? Take it now. He’s made for it. What’s going to beat him? Other than Finians? 6/1? It’s in neon lights isn’t it? Flat Out doesn’t ‘appear’ to jump well enough for The Arkle. It’s all about jumping? Ghizao!!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Flat Out has only ran once over fences, his jumping was grand for hid fencing debut as far as I can remember ( :? )

Wouldn’t be so keen to dismiss the rest, Realt Dubh in particular. The Irish Arkle should tell us a lot about the top Irish contender.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Flat Out has only ran once over fences, his jumping was grand for hid fencing debut as far as I can remember ( :? )

Wouldn’t be so keen to dismiss the rest, Realt Dubh in particular. The Irish Arkle should tell us a lot about the top Irish contender.

To be honest, THM, no piece of racecourse evidence will convince me that Finian’s Rainbow isn’t going to hack up. I was shouting his name – like I was Peddlers Cross’s – before last year’s Festival and Geraghty is already quoted as having said he "devours" fences. Throw in the fact that he was working with, and beating, Petit Robin during his novice season and even 6/1 (let alone 16/1 and 20/1) looks big.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Even with less tha eight weeks to go it is not unusual to see plenty of scope for change in the ante-post markets for the Triumph, Bumper and Albert Bartlett. This season add to the list the Arkle. I was even contemplating whether a horse has ever won the race on its chase debut.

Finians Rainbow and Ghizao have shortened purely because nothing else appears to have thrown their hat in the ring.

Is there really much substance to Finians Rainbow’s two wins and is he really a Cheltenham horse? The second win was rendered a non-event by the fall of Tail Of The Bank. Personally, I would rather be looking around for 100/1 EW that horse if he shows no ill effects and wins an ordinary novice chase. Ghizao is clearly the more solid looking of the market leaders but would he cope with the likely quicker ground – only in the event you could guarantee soft ground on the day would 6/1 look reasonable.

Well worth scanning the entries to try and find some value.

• Total Posts 2184

I’ve been told that Flat Out will miss the rest of this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

I’ve been told that Flat Out will miss the rest of this season.

Confrimed on the RP website:

BY PETER SCARGILL FLAT OUT has been ruled out for the remainder of the season by trainer Willie Mullins after sustaining an injury at Leoapardstown on Sunday.
    The six-year-old had been as short as 10-1 with Paddy Power for the Irish Independent Arkle Chase at the Cheltenham Festival after making a successful chasing debut at Punchestown.

However, his second start in the Irish Arkle on Sunday ended with him hitting the penultimate fence and unseating his jockey when still travelling well.
    And after investigation by the vet, Flat Out was found to have injured a hind leg.
    Mullins told the Irish Times: "He has a little chip fracture on a hind leg and is out for the season."

Irish challengers for the Arkle look weak this year. I love Noble Prince but he’s targeted at one of the other novice races.
    Are there any other possible contenders that haven’t been out yet?

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

For what its worth I am a big Realt Dubh fan, and I disagree that the Irish division is poor, as I also think Noble Prince is a classy animal.

The main reason I like Realt Dubh is that he is not too flashy, jumps well, stays and battles. They went a proper gallop at Leopardstown on Sunday and this is great experience for a novice chaser. I think the stronger they go in the Arkle the better for Noel Meade’s horse, he is my selection.

JohnJ

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

The irish horses aimed for the festival arkle is bare.

Realth Dubh has been aimed and noble prince isnt quick enough and looks a bit of a bridle ponce coming up that hill will find him out.

So flat out is out and that was our main hope.

Loosen my load maybe?…this is marked for the Brits i cant see anything unless their is a 2mile chaser in ireland yet to run as a novice and being aimed at the festival. I guess something like Quel Esprit from the front in the arkle could be viable but very unlikely.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.