The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arkle 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics Arkle 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 600 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

Where is my praise as well i backed him as well told you guys he win :D

• Total Posts 629

Re: ‘Riverside Theatre’ – The owner never really give it a chance on 4 this morning.

Also – on a preview on ATR Henderson kinda felt (um – arhh) that ‘Mad Max’ was no second string – yet he was 33/1!
    Riverside 7-8’s

Lads only went 16/1 about the ‘Mad’ one or two days ago and he ran a lot better than the other!

For those who couldn’t see – sometimes – you gotta judge whether an owner wants a high profile day out – or reckons it’s horse actually stands a chance.

• Total Posts 2440

I’d love it if Mad Max won a big race, he is a nice horse, and one of my favourites.

He was running a great race today until he hit that fence.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The best horse in the race won. End of.

Not sure I’d entirely agree with that, Somersby might well have won given a more positive ride.
    The young claimer on Dunguib has been slagged unmercifully on another thread for giving his mount too much to do, yet the horse had at least shown a turn of foot in decent class previously, whereas Somersby hadn’t, and the infinitely more experienced Robert Thonton rode a much less judicious race (imo), coming from off the pace on a horse that had clearly showed he might have trouble doing it, and on much softer ground than today’s.

• Total Posts 190

Very disappointed by Mad Max’s mistake. Had travelled well and jumped beautifully before that. Had Bensalem in the next race as well, so it’s about time they knocked that fence down!!

However, having got 70’s on Mad Max just a shame couldn’t see if he’d bustled up the winner up the hill – not sure he would have mind.

Good race and think it could live up to the hype of providing some big race winners in the future

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I have to congratulate Sizing Europe for proving me wrong as he did run on up the hill,having said that i am frustrated in losing by a fast diminishing 3/4l.

Somersby

never put a foot wrong and proved he is everything i have said he was all year,if the race was run again tomorrow he would win it,but thats the way it goes sometimes! Being only 6yo he has Gold Cup potential,No question!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Was very surprised by Somersby, Gordon. Would snaffle up any early prices on him for next year’s Gold Cup, if I were you. I won’t be far behind ;)

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

Was very surprised by Somersby, Gordon. Would snaffle up any early prices on him for next year’s Gold Cup, if I were you. I won’t be far behind ;)

Cant see Somersby getting a Gold Cup trip in a horsebox……..I backed him today and yeah he seemed to take an age to get going but the winner is a class act for me and no disgrace finishing second to him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Considering the Supreme Hurdle trip wasn’t far enough for him, and even the 2.5m of Ascot, Somersby should get 3m over fences standing on his head. Given both remain free of injury, he’d be a fair bet to eventually rate a piece higher than today’s winner, imo.

• Total Posts 1046

I thought Sizing Europe was easily the best horse in the race. Jumped superbly and won the race a fair way out. Will be effective over further too. Somersby ran okay just lacked a bit of class, as the hurdles ratings told us he would. Thrilled for Sizing Europe and connections – ARKLE CHAMPIONS and deservedly so 8)

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Well done to those that backed SE but there seems to be a genuine reason for Cee Bee’s below par effort.

I would expect him to beat SE next time.

Zip

• Total Posts 1046

Good grief

people just won’t give up

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

BB
    Here’s another one for you:
    "

Easily the best horse in the race

"s dont just hang on by 3/4l after having the kitchen sink thrown at them. :wink:

• Total Posts 1046

:mrgreen:

Somersby was never a threat at any stage. He had to go win it early because he simply outclassed them. Idled up the run-in when Somersby’s grind motion kicked in but wasn’t getting anywhere fast.

Superb horse, superb performance, easily the best horse in the race.

Never a doubt 8)

• Total Posts 47

I agree totally with Big Bucks.

Sizing Europe was class today,an authoritative winner of a decent renewal.
    Fans of the good Captain should stop trying to pick holes in his form and just watch what has been unfolding in front of them.
    Sizing Europe is a better chaser,he is the best two mile novice chaser in the business.
    That is now beyond doubt.

The performance of the day for me.

Superb.

Classy.

• Total Posts 1982

:mrgreen:

Somersby was never a threat at any stage. He had to go win it early because he simply outclassed them. Idled up the run-in when Somersby’s grind motion kicked in but wasn’t getting anywhere fast.

Superb horse, superb performance, easily the best horse in the race.

Never a doubt 8)

Word perfect.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Somersby did exactly what I thought he would: Ran a cracker but just lacks that little bit extra that seperates high class from very very good. Basically he’s going to be the same kind of chaser as he was a hurdler but I wouldn’t dream of trying to put anyone backing him in any race he goes for. He’s one of those horses who’s a near certainty to win a big one one day.

Captain Cee Bee was a huge disappointment but to be fair to his connections they did well just to get him back on a racecourse. On his first run back I said he never tavelled at any point like a top class chaser but then he ran so well when he fell behind Sizing Europe I thought he had improved 10 fold. To be honest when Henry De Bromhead said Sizing Europe wasn’t right that day I thought he was making excuses/talking rubbish.

Again you live and learn. Like Dunguib he was made to look better than he actually is by running against moderate horses or in SE’s case undercooked.

As far as Sizing Europe goes that’s as good an Arkle performance as I’ve seen in many years and he must have a good chance of adding a QMCC to his Arkle win next year. That is normally a huge leap from winning an Arkle but that looked a very decent run race at 0.6sec slow.

Where Captain Cee Bee goes from here is hard to imagine. He was never travelling well and looked a bit lost for answers going at the pace they went. Considering he beat Binocular albeit a younger weaker Binocular his injury has obviously left it’s mark and the speed he had before then has deserted him. He’ll no doubt bounce back and will win more races but not at Cheltenham or Aintree while the best are around.

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 600 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.