The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arkle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Arkle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    PaulNichollsAteMyHorse
    • Total Posts 15

I think the new crop of novice chasers could be a bit special, so the the Arkle could be a top race in March.

The likes of Fiveforthree, Forpaddydeplasterer, Kalahari King, Venalmar, Afsoun, Straw Bear and Striking Article are already on my watch list.

Obviously no idea who to back at the moment but they are a decent crop.

Thoughts ?

• Total Posts 2440

I personally dont see anything in Afsoun, i might be on my own here, i might be wrong, but i dont think he will be anything special.

I do like the look of Fiveforthree though.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I agree Gareth I have a feeling jumping won’t be his game but it is only a feeling. They kept him over hurdles which was surprising really as they must have known he was never going to win a Champion Hurdle.

The horse I am looking forwrad to seeing over fences is Kalahari King who looks every bit like a chaser. He went wrong for a while last season and wasn’t quite right at Cheltenham or at Ayr but came back with a bang when winning the Aon Hurdle in Ireland.

I can’t wait to see him go Jumping and the 25/1 is way too big. Ferdy Murphy is adamanat he will go chasing and has openly admitted he fancies him big time for the Arkle.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Sun Alliance Chase is a more likely target for Fiveforthree and (almost certainly) Venalmar, I would have thought.

I couldn’t have either of Straw Bear or Afsoun on my shortlist for the Arkle either.

superkauto10
    • Total Posts 100

Tatenen looks a interesting one .. making debut over fences Saturday at cheltenham

David.C.
    • Total Posts 116

Agree Tatenen does look a very good prospect superkauto10. Ideally he would want a bit of cut in the ground, and he’s one of four Paul Nicholls entries in the 2 mile Novice Chase,at this stage.With the Cheltenham site predicting the going as good and watering he may have to wait for a run. But they are keen to get some experience into him as soon as they can.

Report Date Tuesday 14th October; 8:30 am
    Going Good
    GoingStick 7.7
    Additional Information Watering to maintain

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Kalahrai King will have his chasing debut this week – either at Kelso or Kempton. The Arkle is a long term target……but Cheltenham is a long way away.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Trafford Lad and Forpaddydaplasterer

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Trafford Lad goes in a novice chase at Punchestown tomorrow, incidentally.

PaulNichollsAteMyHorse
    • Total Posts 15

Venalmar out for the season.

Trafford Lad being targeted at the Sun Alliance Chase as per trainer today.

Fiveforthree is behind schedule but schooling well as per Willie Mullins and thinks the Arkle is a likely destination as he’s got gears.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Sun Alliance Chase is a more likely target for Fiveforthree and (almost certainly) Venalmar, I would have thought.

I couldn’t have either of Straw Bear or Afsoun on my shortlist for the Arkle either.

I would be interested to see which of them does best over fences. I have a feeling Straw Bear will be a horse to follow over fences. Not saying he will win the Arkle but I could see him going there with a few wins under his belt. He’s a lovely horse who just lacks that bit extra it takes to win such a contest.

I like the way he travels in his races and gives me the impression he will find winning novice chases very easy.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Strike one to Kalahari King :P

I thought that was a nice introduction

Graham Lee really looked after him and allowed the horse get there in his own good time.

Wouldn’t hesitate to back him again.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Just wanted to note that ‘PaulNichollsAteMyHorse’ is my very favourite TRF name of all time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Hard not to be taken by I’msingingtheblues’ performance at Kempton today. Given how clumsy some of his jumping of hurdles had become latterly, the accuracy and economy over the larger obstacles this afternoon was a joy to see, if perhaps a wee bit surprising.

Both he and yesterday’s winner Poquelin have form around the Old Course, so even at this remove there has to be a chance that one or the other, or both, will be pointed at the (Graded) Independent Newspapers Chase at HQ on Greatwood Hurdle day, and with good reason to expect a big run from either. And of course we haven’t even seen Tatenen over the biggies as yet.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’msingingtheblues was incredibly impressive yesterday, especially as he appeared to run quite free throughout the first six to eight furlongs. The form of the race is likely to hold up later in the season (both the second and third should be capable of running to decent marks) and if he settles a little better, he’ll be hard to beat.

With winning Cheltenham form to his name – beating Snap Tie no less – I’m all over him for the Arkle.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

There’s still a long way to go until March, but you won’t see many better rounds of jumping from a chasing debutant this year. Given the speed he’s shown there, I’d be interested in asking Mr Nicholls why he even entered I’msingingtheblues over 2m5 at Uttoxeter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Aye, that was curious, Friggo, wasn’t it! I presume he just thought the gelding was already ready for action, though in all honesty there were other 2m novices’ chases in the programme only a day or two either side.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 2440

I see Straw Bear is making his chasing debut in the 3.10 at Exeter tomorrow, will be interesting to see how he goes.

Really cant think of the horse as a chaser, but he is a horse i like, so hope he does well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 298 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.