The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Are you a ‘someone’ in Racing?

Home Forums Lounge Are you a ‘someone’ in Racing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I have rarely asked the question of who is who on TRF.  I suppose that if you are a somebody, and you wanted everyone to know who you were, then you would register using the name Mr B Curley rather than some pseudo name.  However, it has always intregued me as to who I am speaking to sometimes.  So, without asking anyone to drop their cloak of anonymity, I ask the simple question "Are you a nobody or a somebody?".  I do this merely to find out if the racing fraternity hear our POV at TRF.  It would be nice to know that our opinions are taken on board by people who are in a position to influence the game at the top level.  If you are brave enough to come out of the closet, then please feel free.  If you wanna simply post some cryptic clue, be my guest.  If you are too modest, just vote.<br>I’ll start by stating that i’m just a Joe Bloggs punter who has a gift for picking winners :biggrin:  (when I can avoid letting the formbook and my bank balance influence my opinion).  ie. a nobody

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’m TRF’s second losing punter..

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I am similar to you Racing Daily but I wonder if there is anybody famous on here – perhaps the Queen:o – she likes racing. I wonder what name she uses;) <br>

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

My birthday has been in the Racing Post for the last couple of years. As I’m always right at the bottom of the list I suppose I’ve got to be a nobody:grumpy:

marko
    Participant
    • Total Posts 85

Please tell me you are joking HJ

GreenGreenDesert
    • Total Posts 127

I don’t think anyone is a nobody yet worry that everyone who has voted thinks they are.

Apart form the person calling himself david johnson…who may or may not be….and if he is he obviously thinks everyone here is worthy of respect….there may be a few "big players" at least in the wings.

BUT if I did not think this was an important forum re all the people here must care about racing….then why would anyone bother posting? that is why I put a lot in…even though I may bore some of you….and potentially alienate some "somebodies" from what I do.

We are all someone here.<br>All.

That is what makes racing so great….and why I am not on the forum of a football team where the "working mans" sport…is actually only about elite corporatism.

There are no "nobodys" in racing.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I’ve had a sneaky suspision, for some time, that [freudianslip]Barney CUrley[/freudianslip] may hang around here.  However I may be wrong.<br>Also, we know Sean Boyce, Paul Haigh, Alan Potts and Barry Dennis have been known to frequent the forum.  I’ve never been too sure, since joining myself, that the real Mr Johnson would be quite so open about his identity.  Although I do have to say that if davidjohnson is the real mccoy then I applaud him for his sincerity and ‘devilmaycare’.<br>I do not count the various celebs that have answered questions in the past, although it would not be a surprise that some may have joined up and never posted, just for the craic.<br>I don’t mean the term ‘nobody’ in a disparaging sense GGD.  It is more a term of enderement for the armchair punter who yearns to be more well known within the game and to it’s hierarchy, but in all probability never will be.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

HJ – unlucky, I didn’t realise there was a pecking order.    At least I’m above J Daly (apprentice to Sylvester Kirk) so maybe that makes me a nearly somebody!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Our own DJ is not the top owner DJ (unless Saif Sairea has a cracking season). I used to think he was until he slated him in a post

As regards being a nobody or a somebody, my wife’s grandparents are buried in Glasnevin cemetary in Dublin which is where a lot of famous Irish people are buried and I remarked one day

"it’s mad that you’re grandparents are buried there, as if they were famous or something" to which she replied

"they are to me!"

which kind of puts the nobody or somebody argument in perspective. So while I’m a nobody to the greater racing community, I’m a big somebody to my wife and son. It took me years to realise that I am a somebody to my family. As far as I’m concerned, I’m no better or worse than anybody else out there, no matter who they are (apart from the Ian Huntleys etc of this world obviously)

GreenGreenDesert
    • Total Posts 127

Anyobody here can go out, but a horses for a grand, get 10 mates together and buy a horse. That makes everyone a somebody here if they so choose.

And even if you don’t want to be a player in that way, sometimes an armchair punter can have insights which even the expert professional may notconsider. So we are all somebodies here. Also there are a few people who work in yards/ride out and they are most definitely "somebodies" in my book, as they risk their lives without the possibility of glory as the jocks get.

Take your point though….but the way the question is phrased may make anyone who answers "somebody" an egoist!!!

Mully
    • Total Posts 156

I am a nobody, but someday I am going to be a somebody. ;)

daiesy
    • Total Posts 104

unfortunatly for a lot of you, i have a good idea of who you are :) i’ve also met a fair few of you, tho you may not know it.

I know a few people know me as well, (cheers Luke Harvey) <br>my best mate is actually Katy, who is often seen about with me.

hopefully i live in anonimity (is that how you spell it?)

daiesy<br>the crazy one :)

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Somebody-Naturally :cheesy:

Katy
    • Total Posts 73

Quote: from daiesy on 10:49 am on Sep. 30, 2006[br]unfortunatly for a lot of you, i have a good idea of who you are :) i’ve also met a fair few of you, tho you may not know it.

I know a few people know me as well, (cheers Luke Harvey) <br>my best mate is actually Katy, who is often seen about with me.

hopefully i live in anonimity (is that how you spell it?)

daiesy<br>the crazy one :)<br>

What do you mean, you dont do anything in anonimty! :P   and we wll be seen together a lot more when you hurry up and find me somewhere to live as im sick of living in this hole!

Katy x

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I was somebody for 15 minutes!:cool:

Colin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.