The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Home Forums Horse Racing Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Viewing 17 posts - 851 through 867 (of 1,494 total)
  • Author
    TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Nobody going to even give it a try?

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

You’ve asked a good question, Ghost.

However very few questions on the thread get answered without a clue (except those asked by me) so I think yours will get more traction with a hint.

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m used to people indicating in some way that they want/need a clue, not complete radio silence.

The “who” is pretty easy…who do you think of when you think of Royal Ascot during the 1980s in particular?

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

I’m now convinced the ‘who’ is Sir Henry Cecil.

Without any degree of optimism I propose that his three winners as above all sired horses that were subsequently disqualified in a Group 1. The only evidence I have with regard to this is Sir Henry’s 1978 Prince of Wales’s Stakes winner Gunner B, sire of Royal Gait who was controversially chucked out of the 1988 Ascot Gold Cup by myopic stewards.

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

The ‘who’ is Sir Henry and you have Gunner B right as one of the three horses, but that’s not the connection.

Very early 1980s for the other two.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Another speculative punt – all three horses were previously with other trainers

Gunner B (Prince of Wales’s Stakes 1978) was trained by Geoff Toft before moving to Warren Place. Critique (Hardwicke Stakes 1982) was champion 2-y-o in France prior to arriving at the same destination. Not sure about the third winner. It could be Belmont Bay (Queen Anne Stakes 1981) simply because owner (and sore loser) Daniel Wildenstein changed trainers more often than I’ve had the proverbial hot dinners.

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Spot on Seasider. Comparatively unusual for Henry to take on horses from other trainers. Belmont Bay was with Ian Walker to the end of his 3yo season, Gunner B with Geoff Toft as you say, and Critique was with Vincent O’Brien when owned by J Mulcahy.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Nice question.

I’ll post another one in a day or so unless someone wants to jump in.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

What circumstance connects 1960s steeplechasers Flying Wild, Laffy, Pappageno’s Cottage and Time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

Without googling (cuz googling is cheating!) didn’t they all start co-favourite for the Grand National one year (I think at 100/7 possibly in 1964?!)

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

That’s impressive without googling, Katie.

Upon which subject, personally I would use a search engine if the question has been unresolved for several days just to keep the thread ticking along. But maybe that’s just me.

Anyway, your answer is essentially correct albeit there’s no icing on the cake. The 100/7 SP for the four co-favourites in the 1964 Grand National is the longest price ever returned for any market leader(s) not just in the GN but in any race under Rules.

None of the four won that day but on the other side of the coin there are two horses that did win at 100/8 joint favourite (Firozepore 1937 Stewards Cup & Hasty Cloud 1964 Cambridgeshire) thus sharing the record for the longest priced winning jolly in the annals of British horse racing.

Over to you. It doesn’t matter if you think your question is easy because it might not be.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

None of the four won that day but on the other side of the coin there are two horses that did win at 100/8 joint favourite (Firozepore 1937 Stewards Cup & Hasty Cloud 1964 Cambridgeshire) thus sharing the record for the longest priced winning jolly in the annals of British horse racing.

I can’t tell what was the longest priced winning jolly Seasider but it wouldn’t be a joint fav, in effect the odds are more or less halved if joint favs. Half your stake at the odds to be more precise.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

I accept that, yeats.

To rephrase my comment, Firozepore & Hasty Cloud are the only two horses to be returned 100/8 followed by ‘jt’ or ‘co’ fav!

If someone is aware of the longest priced winning favourite (on its own) I’d be interested to know. I collect irrelevant stuff like this and store it all in the dark recesses of my ageing brain.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

If someone is aware of the longest priced winning favourite (on its own) I’d be interested to know. I collect irrelevant stuff like this and store it all in the dark recesses of my ageing brain.

I’m sure there must have been bigger, could have even been this season and last but the best I can come up with, with hard evidence are 8/1 twice. Sprig in the 1927 National & Kaldoun Kingdom in 2009 Ayr Silver Cup. Found a few 10/1 near misses. Can anyone better 8/1, I’m sure they can.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Freebooter won the 1950 Grand National at 10/1 favourite, but I wouldn’t mind betting there’s a 100/9 winning jolly somewhere in the records. It might be difficult to find, though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Freebooter won the 1950 Grand National at 10/1 favourite,

10/1 jt fav Seasider, fav backers would get 9/2 for their money.
    I’m sure there’s been a 10/1 or 12/1 in fairly recent times, some anorak will know :yes:

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

yeats, my sources aren’t much good.

Wikipedia’s list of GN winners gives Freebooter as 10/1 clear favourite and the site I chose to verify that SP agrees. Oh well. Incidentally, althought I note Roimond was also 10/1 in 1950 I can’t find a third horse at that price. Not that it matters a great deal.

Viewing 17 posts - 851 through 867 (of 1,494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.