The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Another Henderson Hurdler

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Another Henderson Hurdler

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Nicky Henderson looks to have introduced yet another decent hurdler in the shape of <b>Stellino</b> at Taunton just now.

I would love to be in his shoes come Festival time. He might not have the ammunition in the Championship races, but boy has he got a strong hand in the novice/junvenile hurdle ranks.

Mike

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

Was a decent horse in Germany winning an Ausgleich/H`cap 2 (-20 with 57kg) by 3 legnths, would have come to England with the equivelent flat mark of about 90!!

I thought it would win like it did, was a major bet for me!!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

We never forgive after-timing!!!!!! :evil: :wink: :lol:

Colin

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Dear lord…

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Our horse Weststern came up against Stellino a couple of times last year – at Cologne in July and then at Frankfurt in September, both times in a Class 2 handicap. We were well ahead of Stellino at Cologne, but Stellino turned the tables on us at Frankfurt thanks to a huge weight pull. I don’t think there is much between the two on form, but I think Stellino will make a really good hurdler. Incidentally, he is a half brother to our other horse, Sworn Mum (being out of Sweet Tern). Yes, I think Stellino could be a really decent prospect.

Darren – AngloGerman

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Just watched a replay of the race on At the races website, Stellino was good but couldnt believe the fall of GO BUT GO, I cringed watching it, think that is probably the most horrific fall ive seen all season and the commentators never even flinched.

The horse must certainly be dead but racing post and atr have no mention, wish i hadnt watched it now :(

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Would you believe he got up from that.

He looked distinctly wobbly but he was walking around a couple of minutes after the fall.

Whether he will be OK in the morning is a different story.

Colin

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Seriously? Im glad he has, he was going quite well until that. Cant believe he’s survived, it looked like his neck, and a whole lot more, was definitely broke.

Good on him :D , cheers for the info Colin

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Didn’t do a lot for me although he’s a nice enough horse.

At a guess he cost more than all the other runners put together and it looked one desperately bad race.

Wouldn’t have him on my mind for Cheltnham the second looked like it would be hard pushed to win a seller.

Firestorm
    • Total Posts 62

Just watched a replay of the race on At the races website, Stellino was good but couldnt believe the fall of GO BUT GO, I cringed watching it, think that is probably the most horrific fall ive seen all season and the commentators never even flinched.

The horse must certainly be dead but racing post and atr have no mention, wish i hadnt watched it now :(

OMG knowing that he got up is fantastic news , just hope he recovers fully …….

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Was a horrible looking fall but he was still moving .Hopefully he was just badly winded and he’s ok

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

I’m absolutely astonished (and also very pleased) that the faller got up. I was watching the race in my local bookmakers during my lunchbreak, and I turned round to a couple of the cashiers and said that, sure, I was really happy to see Stellino win but I hate it when a horse gets killed. I was 100% certain he wasn’t getting up from that, as it looked to me he had broken his neck. However, I have seen some falls in my time, and several nasty ones (including last years Belgian Grand National), when the horse somehow looks to be finished, only to rise up and be seemingly OK. And as I’m writing this, I feel compelled to add three words on the end here – Spot the Difference!

Darren – AngloGerman

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

Didn’t do a lot for me although he’s a nice enough horse.

At a guess he cost more than all the other runners put together and it looked one desperately bad race.

Wouldn’t have him on my mind for Cheltnham the second looked like it would be hard pushed to win a seller.

Have to agree with your first comment, he looks a decent horse but it would be silly to get carried away, it`s 130 form at this stage, nothing more!!

Don`t agree with your second comment, you wouldn`t pay a lot for a 5-y-o h`capper in Germany, where could he go on the flat?,another h`cap!!, i would guess they paid between Euro 25-35K, nothing more, so that`s a lot less than the 580,000 Gns they paid for Talentini albeit a while back :shock: , or 36K paid for Bold Policy, a few of the others would have fetched more ……….. he certainly looks better value than the others!!

Third comment i agree with, it didn`t run like a particular good race, Cheltenham would simply be a dream at this stage!!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I thought I heard he cost in the region of £100,000 but I couldn’t swear to that.

Colin

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Knowing how closely matched Stellino and Weststern were on the flat in Germany, and having an idea of how much Weststern was sold for, I would guess that Tonys estimate is a little low, and that Colins is a little high – I would go for around the £35,000 – £45,000 mark. At this figure, I think Stellino could well turn out to be a bit of a bargain.

I think the most ever paid for a German horse to go hurdling is Donaldson, who was EUR 300,000 from what I remember, but he was a proven group horse on the flat in Germany. I spoke to his trainer, Peter Rau last year at Baden-Baden (a true gentleman and a very nice chap), and he said that although the horse was no Saddex, he was good enough to win Listed/Group 3 races at least. Hopefully, he’ll come good over hurdles (his 3rd place last time out was quite encouraging). Certainly Donaldson would be a different class to Stellino on the flat.

Darren – AngloGerman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.