The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

An old boy I know swears this one makes money.

Home Forums Archive Topics Systems An old boy I know swears this one makes money.

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 760 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Friday 10 Oct

ANY FAV
    Musleh won 3rd race @ 8/13

loss on day 2.70

profit/loss to c/f +13,208.63

ANY FAV NON HAND TO 9 RUNNERS

Astrador won 1st race @10/11

profit on day 9.09

profit/loss tp c/f +874.13

Sat 11 Oct
    ANY FAV
    Seymar Lad won 2nd race @4/1
    profit on day 35.00

profit/loss to c/f +13,243.63

Herecomesthetruth won 1st race @ 10/11
    profit on day 9.09

profit/loss to c/f +883.22

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Sunday 12 Oct

ANY FAV
    Halles Comet won 8th race @5/2

profit on day 965.00

profit/loss to c/f +14,208.83

Osiris Way won 1st race @ 3/1

profit on day 30.00

profit/loss to c/f +913.22

Richie
    • Total Posts 11

Please note that on the 12th October Halles Comet won the 10th race of the day and not the 8th. I have been following this thread using smaller stakes and would have been wiped out in the 10th race if not for Halles Comet . Mark’s bank should now be over 17 Grand.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Ritchie
    Hi there!
    Thanks for the correction

Beleive it or not tthat was my first calculation :oops:

Halles Comet won the 2.50 at Naas @5/2f
    Before that 2 sole favs lost at Bath
    2 "’ " Goodwood
    2 " ‘ G Leighs
    1 " " Naas
    2 " " Limerick

so the stake on the 10th fav should have been 2,560.00 which returned 6,400.00 and after the previous losses were deducted a profit on the day of
    3,855.00 add that to the current profit and that should be 17,098.63.

ps
    Q1 How long have you been doing this?
    Q2 Do you do them on in the shops or on the exchanges?
    Q3 What stake do you start off at?

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Mon 13 Oct

ANY FAV
    Silk Hall won 5th race@ 5/4

profit on day 25.00

profit/loss to c/f +17,123.63

No selections

profit /loss to c/f +913.22

Richie
    • Total Posts 11

Hi Seagull. First I should explain that I started following Mark’s system as an experimental pastime to very low stakes. I first used the high street bookies. But discovered very early on that when races clash, as they often do, it becomes a nightmare. I don’t know how Mark gets around that one. My solution was to stick to the system but back both races in order of off times. This maybe risky, but hey, an element of risk is intrinsic to any form of speculation. Anyway for me the bookies made it all to hasty and frantic on some days. Moreover, my preferred starting stake was below their “per slip” minimum. So what I did was to do this bet as a “stop at a winner” bet. This meant investing the entire stake on one betting slip but doubling the unit stake after each loser. The bet terminates after any winner. You have to write out all the race times for every meeting in the correct order also. However I found that the bookie staff tend to get very busy when they realize the coup and it’s not easy to continue.
    Although I am a serious punter this was all very experimental and I ran it along side my regular punting. My unit stake was only 30p, which comes to £306.90 per slip.
    The way in which I continue with this experiment is like this. I have set an additional Betfair account in my wife’s name.
    On Betfair, if you want to stake below £2, ask for odds of 1000 about the fav for a £2 stake it will not be taken. Then add the amount that you actually want to wager by changing the £2 to say £2.50. Betfair automatically splits this into 2 bets one at £2 and one at 50p. You then cancel the £2 bet leaving you with a 50p bet at 1000. Then just change the odds to something more realistic, 2.8 say, and it gets matched!
    The only problem with this is that I have to revert to the old way if there is a clash of off times by backing in both races. However, Betfair does give you the very useful option of being able to back in running.
    From my work so far I would say the best way to do this bet, “IF YOU CAN GET ON”, is by the “stop at a winner bet on the high street” This avoids the problem of clashing off times. However, it can only work to a small unit stake, so if you want to go large you would have to prepare your slips early and use more than on bookie.
    I have decided that if Mark doesn’t go bust by Christmas then I will consider giving this a serious go on Betfair.
    I am still trying to solve the problem of clashing off times on Betfair. Any tips?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6858

Richie,

If, you want bet below 2.00 GPB on Betfair there is free software available that will be able do it far more quickly than doing it manually.

The free "BetTrader" software would be a good starting point.

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Hi Ritchie,
    Thanks for the reply.

Mark has always said there are a few major problems.

(1)
    A lot of the time a 3m chase will have started before a 5 furlong flat race and whilst the chasers are plodding around the final circuit the flat race would have ended.
    Some times this of course works in his favour though as the flat winner may have been a better price and the chase fav lose.

(2) He finds a lot of staff in betting shops unhelpful despite being a regular customer. The only way round that is to get them on your side and the only way to do that is to give them a drink now and again.

(3) Despite him buying a p.c and joining betfair he has kept to betting shops so the betting shops do have to be very close to high street banks in order to withdraw funds quickly should they be needed and he knows that whilst betting shops are expanding the high street banks are contracting but that can be resolved by using the exchanges.

I keep on about him getting used to betfair that will enable him to possibly ‘lay’ some of his favs in running which do not look like winning and of course get round the possibility of getting robbed or mugged on the way home.

His son however told him that as all his horses are sole favourite the prices are no better than the betting shops offer especially after commision.

I have always listed the races on the profit/loss account in order of the time the actual race started which I get from the R. Post.

Overall he has no more trouble that I do in doing the each way doubles for 25.00 a horse on 2nd favs in 8 runner races.

As Matron has already written,the betrader would be helpful to you in what you are doing.

rgds.

(you can always use message service to me if you want)

Richie
    • Total Posts 11

Thanks for the tip Matron. However, I think Bet Trader only do 50p minimum but I shall check it out. My starting minimum is 30p. 50p would take my start bank up to £511.5, which is more than I plan to risk at the moment.
    Seagull I shall send you a personal message as you suggested.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6858

You use as little as a 1p stake with BetTrader.

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Tues 14 Oct

ANY FAV
    Brave Echo won the 1st race @ 2/1
    profit on day 10.00

profit/loss to c/f +17,133.63

Moscow Catch won 5th race @13/8
    profit on day 110.00.

profit loss to c/f +1,023.22

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I am still trying to solve the problem of clashing off times on Betfair. Any tips?

Hi Richie

If I understand your problem correctly then this could help

In the morning, you start with race 1 and place a bet with your stake using the method you describe but you ask for price of 1000. Then in the "My Bets" section of that market, you select "at the off take SP". You can then do this for every race that day using the precalculated stakes. When a winner goes in you cancel all unmatched bets.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I believe the problems with off times and overlapping races, which will become more acute in the winter months, is a challenge to the integrity of the system. The system as it stands will not accept splitting stakes, so where there is a clash, only one race can be chosen for obvious reasons.

Do High Street bookmakers still accept ‘Stop At A Winner’ type bets?
    If they do, then this type of bet would be no help to anyone using this system unless you were prepared to leave your maximum liabilty on the sequence with the bookmaker as a deposit.

With regard to the recent losing sequence of 9 which was rescued by a punt in the 10th. I thought(although I may be mistaken) that the maximum amount at risk was £2500 on any sequence. After loser number 9, the loss was £2,555, which doesn’t break the bank(accumulated winnings), but cleans out anyone starting from scratch on the same day with the recommended bank of £2500.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I put on stop-at-a-winner bets every now and then to small stakes. I don’t know if they are obliged to take them, they come under the description of ‘conditional bets’ which the Tote, for example, will not entertain.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

The maximum sequence of 9 losers and a bank of £2.5 is also my understanding of this system?

• Total Posts 2390

Wallace,

Any confusion here is possibly my fault. It was me that introduced the 2.5k bank & 9 losers sequence as my system was based on taking any profit each month and limiting liability to the original bank.

Mark’s System has always been to play the bank and any rolled up winnings.

Richie
    • Total Posts 11

Artemis. As I understand it Mark’s system plays up to 10 iterations which means his bank is £5115. However, I stand to be corrected.
    As for “stop at a winner” bets; most bookies I use still cater for them in their rules (look under conditional bets, as Wallace pointed out). However, even to small stakes, if you do this bet a few times in a row, with the same shop, they tend to not like it, even though your daily profit might be negative (e.g.: odds on winner) or very small.
    Contrary to your opinion, I believe that, “IF YOU CAN GET ON”, this is the only sensible way to do this bet, as it removes the clashing of times problem. However, I doubt if any bookies would accept Marks £5000 up front. They don’t take my measly £300 after a few consecutive days, which I think is absolutely outrageous.

Regards
    Richie

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 760 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.