The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

All Weather Season Kicks Off Today

Home Forums Horse Racing All Weather Season Kicks Off Today

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4809

Good to have some flat action back today as the Winter 2011 season kicks off at Kempton and Southwell this afternoon. All races above tariff and decent/competitive sized fields and markets, particularly at Kempton.

Wish the forums much missed, Maxilon a good season at his beloved Southwell if circumstances permit.

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

Not many sand lovers on here I don’t think, personally I love it. The 3.00 looks a stonking little race.

Talking of sand lovers where has Maxilon got to? Was only thinking recently haven’t seen him post in a while :(

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4809

I’ll be looking to lay the Johnston beast at around evens in running in the mile nursery. Should blast off, but find it difficult to get home, particularly off a stiffish looking sand mark.

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

Good luck with that! Artlana could be an interesting runner running for you off a feather at the bottom if she takes the surface on, dutch art generally does ok on AW though limited numbers around Southwell to date

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4577

Not many sand lovers on here I don’t think, personally I love it. (

I’ve got no problem with racing on ‘the sand’. Nearest course is 200 miles+ away though and I do prefer to have look at my horses in the flesh.

That being said, if I do bet on the all-weather it does tend to be at Southwell, the surface riding differently to everything else and you can pretty well put a line through form from other courses. This means that if you are prepared to do a bit of digging that there’s plenty of value to be had.

Rob

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

It certainly is unique, shame there isn’t a bit of a programme for it really.

Wasn’t their plans for a all weather course at Musselburgh that failed to get off the ground?

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4577

There were plans for an all-weather course at Musselburgh, but there was much local opposition. General upheaval and nuisance from a floodlt track was one thing, and the fact that they would have b*****ed up one of the oldest established links golf courses in the world was another.

I would welcome an all-weather track in Scotland, but Musselburgh Links was definitely not the place to put it. I agree with the locals on this one.

I’d say that if any Scottish course was the place for an all-weather track it would be Ayr. Not sure the locals would be so keen though.

Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

I doubt Ayr would take much to the idea, and once I again perhaps the configuration might cause problems.

You might think that someone might suggest a new AW course in Scotland: there’d plenty to appeal about one placed between the two great metropolises, perhaps in those flat fields behind Falkirk. Mild temperatures, big catchment area, good transport links. Sounds attractive to me…

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

Yes I suspect a new build would be the only answer but in current times I doubt very much whether it would be possible.

Perhaps the next built could be a dual purpose synthetic track, pollytrack inside, fibresand outside!

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Welcome back all-weather. It feels like you never went away………

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4577

Ah, now that’s probably because it didn’t.

Funny how I seem to get the same feeling at the end of the National Hunt season…, or is that the start of the National Hunt season?

Ghost of Rob VGhost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 742

All Weather Racing is always welcome with me.

Think I’d go insane if I had to endure nothing but NH for a few months.

okjoe57okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

All-weather racing under lights makes a great spectacle.

As for a track in Scotland, I have only ever been to one meeting north of the border. A beautiful day in July 2009 at Hamilton. The place looked wonderful, obviously well looked-after and had had plenty of investment but sadly, there weren’t many paying customers.

Looking at the map, Hamilton seems to be a satellite town for Glasgow. I was really surprised at the low turn-out.

simon100
    • Total Posts 1

I must admit I’ve only been in to UK horse racing for a couple of years and I much prefer turf meeting and jumps in particular to the unnatural All Weather meetings. I suppose it’s a good alternative when the British winter kicks in like the first three weeks in December of 2010 when even the All Weather became the Not All Weather and all the meetings were a complete wash out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.