The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Albert Bartlett

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 Albert Bartlett

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 450

Dr Eggman is my early bet here at 40-1. I’m sure that there’ll be significant improvement from debut, and although The Ballymore could also be an option, I decided to put my money down, and see how it goes.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

Again I’m not having an early bet here, but I quite liked Amir Kabir last time, so I’ll watch out for him. He’s 50/1 just now

couteau
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Had a go on Kalanisi Star @50s. Won the Gowran bumper won by Yorkhill, Bob Ollinger and Journey With Me by 16 lengths on heavy. The second won next time out and was 3rd in a bumper at the Punchestown festival, ahead of James’s Gate. Same sire as Blazing Khal, out of a Zaffaran mare, so hopefully he can stay.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Very interesting pick that couteau, do you know if he’s going here and not to the Ballymore?

couteau
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

I don’t know I’m afraid, Ben.I’ve had a dabble in the Ballymore at 50s as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Ah fair enough mate thought maybe you’d read a stable tour or something where they said this was the target, I love the shout though seems a very big price for one that won a respected bumper in the manner that he did!

couteau
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Alas no, mate. I actually had to request him to be added to the AB betting, so my endorsement might not be something to hang your hat on. I’ve googled searched for updates and also on Twitter but I guess because he’s a relatively small trainer there won’t be any stable tours etc.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

I’ll email the trainer for us and ask lol, most likely wont get a response but no harm in trying 🙂

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

hmm seems he’s an elusive one, can’t find an email address for him and cant find him on twitter or facebook either lol no good!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Cheers Glad but I don’t have the balls to call him/his assistant and ask them directly, can you imagine “hello mr irish fix it job trainer do you mind telling me your Cheltenham plans so I can have a bet?” He’d probably tell me the wrong race just to wind me up :yahoo:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

You phone him up and pretend to be interested in a job, ask him if you’ll be lucky enough to ride (insert names of some of his other horses here), then joke that you suppose that the ride on Kalanisi Star is taken. Then you go from there.

D’uh.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Not going to lie glad that’s a tremendous idea, if you send me a gram of charlie I’ll call him up within 30 seconds of my first line :good: :yes:

Was going to say I’d need to put on an Irish accent as well I think so he thinks I’m one of the lads

couteau
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Ha, love the detective work. Ben what’s your David Jennings impression like? McKiernan certainly keeps a low profile but he has trained a Befair Bowl winner many moons ago with Follow the Plan. I’ve actually backed another of his, Meet and Greet, for the NH Chase (again requested that to be added to the betting). Third behind The Nice Guy and Minella Cocooner at Punchestown but not really bred for chasing so not really that hopeful of that one.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

This takes me back to circa 1984 when I was a student at Warwick university.

A fellow student Point-to-point jockey and his family had got interested in form book anorak me sourcing a horse for them to go Pointing and I was trying to get a handle on market rates for horses in training.

I saw Oregon Trail, then a 4yo hurdler, for sale in a classified ad for “£30,000-£40,000” and phoned up to see if they were open to offers simply to get an idea.

I ended up talking to Jim Old the trainer who was clearly desperate to keep the horse in the yard and was literally begging me not to send it elsewhere when I was just a young 21yo bloke who hadn’t even made an offer, I was just asking a question.

I didn’t know whether to be more embarrassed for him or myself – on balance him, definitely him: “I’ve got every faith in the horse!” he cried out, sounding close to tears.

I’d never said he hadn’t. “I’m sure you have,” was all I could think of to say in reply, hugely and inappropriately patronising though it must have sounded.

I decided then that, while I loved racing, the people in racing really weren’t for me.

38 years later I still feel uncomfortable writing about it.

Think Oregon Trail later won the Arkle btw.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

couteau
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Ha, that is a cracking story. Did you have any inkling that he’d turn out to be a good’un?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

He’d done a good speed figure for the grade of races he’d been running in and I once thought he might be a Triumph Hurdle horse.

But I remember watching him later win the Arkle at something like 16/1 after I’d long since abandoned him and thinking: “I thought he might be a good horse once, but I didn’t see THAT coming!”

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.