The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

"Alarming Drifts"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    heffo
    • Total Posts 319

I was wondering if anyone who is more clued in than myself into betting exchanges and their workings, could help me with something i have been pondering.<br>As the title states, I’m talking about drifters. I know it’s because he won but Manaal sticks out today. <br>Surely not everyone who attends a race meeting has heard the negatives about a particular runner. <br>So are alot of these drifters exchange motivated? What happens can they just gather momentum? Similar to the opposite direction that Monkerhostin’s odds went on saturday.<br>Do most oncourse bookies not lay off on betfair nowadays? Would this not help to keep the price shorter?<br>Is it just that a horse can open up alot shorter than it should be, hence attracting little interest?<br>Manaals opening price corresponded to the RP’s tissue. That makes this instance a little more puzzling to my limited market knowledge.<br>So many questions………….:(

(Edited by heffo at 9:44 pm on April 19, 2007)

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Opposition on BF caused the drift, with the course market following.

You see a lot of these unproven ‘sexy’ horses get aggresively opposed on BF these days. Maybe there was more to it than just that this time though – it went out to 8/1 on Bf at one point.

The filly had been ridden prominently under R Hills previously and won despite Hanagan holding her up last on one of the worst course and distances for such tactics. I wouldn’t be surprised if she ran up a sequence.

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Ta Glenn.<br>But can you tell me, in your opinion, can most drifts these days be linked to initial exchange opposition?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Almost all these drifts follow the exchanges and the few that don’t are very interesting.;)

The racecourse market is much more autonomous when it comes to shorteners. With many phantom gambles, not mirrored on the exchanges, by those that want to manipulate returns.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.