The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

aintree supremo

Home Forums Horse Racing aintree supremo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

i was suprised to learn that julian thick has been chosen to take over from charles barnett at aintree.<br>this is the same bloke that ruined kempton by turning it into a sandpit and seemed to be turning sandown racedays into a kids playground.<br>what will he get up to at aintree?

jonny33
    • Total Posts 51

i agree, if what they have done at kempton is "progress"<br>then the sport is doomed. i dread to think what they will do to aintree.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

If this is the guy that turned Kempton into a beach, we’re in trouble. It’s like putting someone who was in charge of a crazy golf course at the head of the R&A!

Surely if anything in racing is still sacred, he’ll know not to mess with the course layout too much?

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Sandown is one of the best venues in the country but sadly has been on a downward spiral for about 10 years. I think it began when Sue Ellen took the reins. They need to appoint a top class man to rescue it.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>I’m not sure why people believe that Julian Thick was solely responsible for the changes at Kempton. He was certainly the course manager at the time, but the decision to install Polytrack would have been taken at a higher level within RHT and he was left with the task of implementation.

AP

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Odd decision. Hadn’t Andrew Tulloch been groomed to take over, or have I missed something completely?

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Whatever anyone thinks of the surface at Kempton, I think its a pretty nicely run track these days. Some nice attention to detail

But sandown is looking a bit shabby at the moment.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Quote from Blue Chariot – ‘They need to appoint a top class man to rescue it.’

Why would a top class woman not be able to ‘rescue it’?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Quote from Cormack.<br>

Why would a top class woman not be able to ‘rescue it’

Because it might not leave her enough time to do the shopping, washing, cooking and ironing ! :biggrin:

(Edited by insomniac at 9:18 am on May 13, 2007)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.