The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Aga Khan

Home Forums Horse Racing Aga Khan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Interesting article in the RP today on the success (and failures) enjoyed by past King George winners from a stallion perspective.

As someone with only relatively little knowledge of the bloodstock market, could anyone explain the Aga Khan’s breeding operation, and how successful it is with seemingly unpopular bloodlines?

I have read part of this is due to the excellent broodmare team he has assembled but he seems to mate these with stallions who are not so common as some of the more well-known types.

Also, a couple more questions re the Aga Khan:
    1. What caused him to remove his horses from the UK (was it a horse of his failing a dope test in the Oaks (memory failing me!)?
    2. What happened with Daylami? Sold to Godolphin then back to the Aga Khan for stallion duties?
    3. Why was Alamshar not given a chance at stud over here for such an impressive Irish Derby & King George (now that was a good renewal) winner?
    4. Why sell such a fantastic broodmare prospect such as Shawanda, when surely money could not be a motivating factor?

Hope someone can provide some info and there’s not too many questions!!

Or has there been a book published on some of the above?

Many thanks,
    Andrew

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Daylami was I believe leased to Godolphin for his racing career (from 4 onwards I think) and the deal was always that he’d go back to he Aga Khan’s studs which I believe is partly why they raced him in the Arc on ground which they knew he didn’t like (not to spit the Aga Khan but because they wouldn’t be standing him at stud).

Alamshar was sold to Japan as the Aga Khan had Dalakhani to support and patronise, they’d likely be rivals in regards to attracting similar mares so Alamshar was sold and Dalakhani was kept to stand in Ireland.

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Daylami is almost a complete failure as a stallion. He has now been shipped aboad (think Japan?).
    Majority of his are big, very late maturing types who stay all day. If he’d have stayed the best he could have been would be similar to Rakaposhi King.
    Dont dislike them though, if you want a plodder!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Think Daylami’s in South Africa now Cheekster. I doubt the Japanese would be interested in taking a failure of a stallion to stud given the talent they have and the buying power

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

HH The Aga Khan removed his horses from Britain following the disqualification of Aliysa from winning the Oaks in 1989. She won it fair and square on the day, but her sample subsequently tested positive for a prohibited substance (camphor) and she was disqualified at a much later date (Snow Bride is now listed as the official winner).

I think the case went to court – it certainly got quite messy. Michael Stoute was partly blamed, as was Luca Cumani when some of his Aga horses failed drug tests. Stoute argued that the camphor could have got into her system naturally, as it could be present in hay – but the counter-argument was that she needed to have eaten something like 65 bales of hay to reach the tested levels.

My impression was that the Aga got fed up, not just with the decision but with how the whole issue was handled by British racing in general.

On the breeding issue, his studs are wonderful for racing because he does not automatically follow fashion and plans his matings very carefully. He supports his own bloodlines but is also not afraid to use stallions like Sadler’s Wells. His stallions tend not to be supported by fickle, instant-gratification breeders, and more fool them. Daylami can’t be classified as a total failure (Grey Swallow in his first crop), but the tendency to give up on late maturing horses has damaged his career – forgetting that he has sired all sorts, from 2yo winners and sprinters to Classic distances. His stud career is disappointing for a racehorse of such talent, but he has had some nice fillies to help keep the important variety in bloodlines going.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

Taken from the Timeform essay on the Oaks winner Salsabil in Racehorses of 1990 –

The Aga Khan announced he would have no more horses trained in Britain – ninety were transferred to Ireland and France from Stoute and Cumani at around the turn of the year – until "effective measures have been instituted to correct the flawed equine drug testing procedures and administration of the rules sanctioning the use of prohibited substances in racing in this country".

The essay also mentions tests carried out in the USA at the request of the Aga Khan, which purported to show that the substance found in Aliysa could be metabolised from borneol, which is a normal constituent of foodstuffs and could also be found in horses bedded on wood shavings, which were in use at the racecourse stables at Epsom.

Reading between the lines, acording to her owner, Aliysa wasn’t ‘drugged’, she just ate some of her bedding in the stable before the race!

AP

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

The Aliysa decision always struck me as typical of us British.

There’s nothing like offending one of your biggest customers on a point of principle, continuing to rub it in when alternatives are presented, and then watching aghast as he inevitably takes his considerable business elsewhere.

I doubt the French would have done so – and as you point out AP, neither would the Americans. Even today, British racing is something of a sideshow for the Aga – which is a disappointment.

Black Sam Bellamy
    • Total Posts 441

The Aga Khan doesn’t appear to have many (if any) horses in training in England. I am struggling to think of any at least and haven’t seen any of the improving middle-distance types (after a ‘quiet’ 2YO career) that Sir Michael Stoute used to train. It’s a real shame as he has some of the most productive families in the stud book.

I don’t think Alamshar has been sold. After a spell in Japan, he is currently standing at the Irish National stud. I believe that he is being leased from the Aga Khan.

Despite operating largely under the shadow of Montjeu; Sinndar is now proving himself a very effective stallion (albeit with the support of his owner’s better mares).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.