The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Advice on a bet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PaulB
    • Total Posts 75

Hey Guys,

Looking for your help.

I placed a bet on Hardy Eustace when he bet Brave Inca at Leopardstown. I got him at 9/1 a few min before the race but when i was in the bookmakers(A Large Irish Firm) i also wanted to back him ante-post at 12/1 but only had €20 with me so i just put the two races in a double. As he won at 9/1 i was under the impression that i had €200 going on to him to win the Champion at 12/1, i was chuffed. But when speaking to a member of staff in the local bookmakers this week he told me that i would only have €200 on him at S.P as you can not place a double like this. I asked for my €200 to be given back to me but he said this was not possible as the bet still remains open.

What do i do?

• Total Posts 1268

Cross your fingers and hope it wins.

(The ante-post price quoted for Cheltenham was related to and affected by HE’s performance at Leopardstown. No bookmaker on Earth would allow a double like yours to stand as it was…)

Btw – good luck!  😉

FlatSeasonLover
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2068

Pleading ignorance of the rules won’t get you your money back, and I should know! As non-vintage says, your bet is a double so it will remain a double. Its like doing for instance

Inglis Drever to win the World Hurdle @ 7/2<br>Exotic Dancer to win the Gold Cup @ 10/1

No reason for your bet not to be valid its just one of the prices is wrong so they change it. I hate the related contingencies rule too, but there idn’t any way round it so you will have to sit and suffer. (And leave the person you spoke to a 50p tip if HE wins and tell him his advise was most useful but….. anyway sorry just going off at a tangent there)

Participant
    • Total Posts 3361

No reason why the bet shouldn’t stand Paul but if you’re lucky enough to have the Winner of the Champion Hurdle don’t accept sp, you should at least get the price that was available after Hardy Eustace won his prep. If you don’t go to Ibas.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1998

First rule of dealing with the filith: Never ever put them in a position where they can decide what your bet is.

At best you’ll enquire about the terms pre-race and get ‘a bookie’s wet dream’ terms, such as here: the ante-post SP bet combining the worst of both ante-post betting and day of the race SP betting – rigged prices and the bet’s a loser if the horse is a non runner.

At worst you wait until after the result and find the bookie heroically standing the full price if it’s lost and voiding if it’s won.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Quote: from PaulB on 11:50 pm on Mar. 9, 2007[br]Hey Guys,

Looking for your help.

I placed a bet on Hardy Eustace when he bet Brave Inca at Leopardstown. I got him at 9/1 a few min before the race but when i was in the bookmakers(A Large Irish Firm) i also wanted to back him ante-post at 12/1 but only had €20 with me so i just put the two races in a double. As he won at 9/1 i was under the impression that i had €200 going on to him to win the Champion at 12/1, i was chuffed. But when speaking to a member of staff in the local bookmakers this week he told me that i would only have €200 on him at S.P as you can not place a double like this. I asked for my €200 to be given back to me but he said this was not possible as the bet still remains open.

What do i do?<br>

I’m surprised the bet was taken  in the first place. In my experience, bookies don’t take double bets of this nature. If you want to place a bet such as this, what happens is the manager will get on the phone and ask for one special price for the horse winning both races – yes, at odds less than the double would have paid.

(Edited by ClintM at 9:21 pm on Mar. 11, 2007)

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Welcome to the Forum Clint

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Thanks Cormack.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Quote: from PaulB on 11:50 pm on Mar. 9, 2007[br]

I placed a bet on Hardy Eustace when he bet Brave Inca at Leopardstown. I got him at 9/1 a few min before the race but when i was in the bookmakers(A Large Irish Firm) i also wanted to back him ante-post at 12/1 but only had €20 with me so i just put the two races in a double. As he won at 9/1 i was under the impression that i had €200 going on to him to win the Champion at 12/1, i was chuffed. But when speaking to a member of staff in the local bookmakers this week he told me that i would only have €200 on him at S.P as you can not place a double like this. <br>

<br>It’s an obvious case of a ‘related contingency’ and the double should never have been accepted at the full cover odds of 9/1 and 12/1. A ‘palpable error’ methinks and the offer of the 200 going on at SP would seem fair enough though you could always try asking for the current odds rather than SP if you prefer.

Should HE be a non-runner you’ll get your 200 returned as a win single.

(Edited by Drone at 11:41 pm on Mar. 11, 2007)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.