The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A well earned rest?

Home Forums Horse Racing A well earned rest?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Seven races in 32 days surely it is now time for Mr McShane to give Argentine a breather?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

If Mr McShane doesn’t find new premises fairly quickly then the horse may have a longer break, or a move to a new yard. I believe he was recently given three months notice by the yard’s owner John Ross.

A number of things could have stopped Argentine at Musselburgh:

a) The weight
    b) Tiredness
    c) Too sharp a course
    d) The going
    e) A combination of the above

I trust Mr McShane will judge the horse as he sees fit. It is worth noting that he commented after the horse’s last victory at Hamilton that he is ‘knocking down the stable door’ if he doesn’t run regularly. As long as the horse is fit and happy, what is the problem with him running often?Many horses have done it over the years, particularly sprinters.

I’m not sure that Argentine has stopped winner and I’d certainly back him under the right circumstances to win a 0-80 or 0-85 in the near future if he’s turned out again.

Just of out interest, why didn’t you make a similar comment after the horse ran 6 times in 26 days? Nothing to do with hindsight after the gelding lost is it?

Rob

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

If Mr McShane doesn’t find new premises fairly quickly then the horse may have a longer break, or a move to a new yard. I believe he was recently given three months notice by the yard’s owner John Ross.

Rob

Do you know much about Ross? If it’s true that McShane is getting his marching orders, that makes two capable trainers in a little over six months to fall out with him.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I read that McShane has been sacked by Ross. Although, as with many decisions, there must be politics behind it all. For example, is Argentine actually owned by Ross? Maybe he is annoyed McShane is winning with a horse not owned by him…and not winning with horses owned by him?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Argentine is the only horse out of the 13 in the stable not owned by Ross.

Judging by John McShane’s interview in the Racing Post there didn’t seem to be any particular animosity between himself and Ross.

Rob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.