The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A ton of bricks

Home Forums Horse Racing A ton of bricks

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

Zarooni is quite clearly just a patsy taking the fall for the bigger fish. BHA terrified of rocking the boat and losing all the money the Sheikh puts into racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

If we are questioning whether all Godolphin horses were on these drugs out of competition – so had an unfair advantage…

May be we should ask ourselves if all Australian horses had an unfair advantage and whether they should be allowed to race in Britain?

It seems Stanozolol is

NOT

banned in Australia out of competition! :o

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/super … 6627011132

Does that help explain things? :shock:

well choisor looked like a tank when he came over. Also I believe Lasix is allowed in the states (steroids i’m not sure about) which might explain why ward cleaned up all the royal ascot two year old races a few years back.

Lasix is given the morning of a race, it’s out of a horse’s system very quickly (remember, it’s a diuretic). The drug is given to the horses by the track veterinarian, not the trainer. It’s no so much "allowed" nowadays as it is expected-trainers have to ask for their horses to be taken

off

the Lasix list. I don’t agree with it, and most old-school trainers still don’t, but for younger trainers it’s just a necessary precaution against bleeding.

Steroids are very much illegal in the US.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

One line that Crisford is using, is that the vets were injecting these horses without any knowledge of what was in the needles, simply because Zarooni was telling them to.

This so unbelievable as to be laughable. What vet would possibly inject a horse or any other animal without any knowledge of what he’s putting into there bodies? He’d be immediately struck off.

In the secret race, one thing that became clear from reading Hamilton’s account is that cheating tends to be a team thing. Very rarely is it some one-off decision.. it tends to come from above- some little gentle encouragement here and there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I was reminded today of comments made by Alec Wildenstein as Westerner was being led back into the unsaddling enclosure following his defeat by Papineau in the 2004 Ascot Gold Cup.

He was roundly castigated for his comment "The dope-testing machine must be broken". It is possible to view those words in a different light given this week’s revelations.

What strikes me as odd is that Al Zarooni was apparently in Dubai when the horses involved were administered the drugs here in the UK. Yet he has made no attempt to absolve himself of blame, and we are now hearing the vet involved didn’t know what he was actually injecting into the animals.

If this is true, then it would suggest Al Zarooni may be a fall guy for something as the SBC Columns writer describes as "not worth contemplating".

As I have said on here before I admire the way Sheikh Mohammed has supported the deep traditions of our sport, for instance running some of his better horses in the Ascot Gold Cup and St Leger when the johnny come lately brigade were trying to sign their death warrants.

However if this runs deeper than the incompetence of one man (Al Zarooni) then the sport in this country has a tough time ahead in being seen to deal effectively with one of its staunchest supporters.

HorseWithNoName
    • Total Posts 51

I don’t subscribe to the idea that losing Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum from racing would be a tragic loss to the sport albeit there would be a period of re-adjustment but British Racing would equally survive in the long run and may even be better off.

What would actually happen in the event? We wouldn’t exactly lose the best bloodlines in the business as it’s widely recognised for a number of years now that Sheikh Hamdan has rarely bred a classic winning colt if any in consistent succession.

I think the markets would be more settled with prices dropping to natural levels that represent the product’s actual value in itself not the mythical fantasy purchase that have long burgeoned the sales rings. Yes, breeders may face a loss in the view of landing that big valuation from the Maktoum family but without their presence I do believe there would be exponential growth in not only number of purchasers but self-made businesses where the dreams of owning a stallion can be realized by your middle-upper class man rather than this supermarket dominance that suffocates the high street as producers are forced to sell to them because they offer the best money and buyers are forced to purchase their progeny because other stallion options are thin on the ground.

You have to look at Meydan in retrospect here too, I don’t believe it has been a success despite the visionary beauty that beholds a 4 week build up to one of the richest racing carnivals on planet earth which has largely been devoid of not only the highest European talents but also those from abroad who seek to maintain their seasonal preferences over a bate worth millions which epitomises that money isn’t everything when personal traditions and perceptions are taken into account.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

If we are questioning whether all Godolphin horses were on these drugs out of competition – so had an unfair advantage…

May be we should ask ourselves if all Australian horses had an unfair advantage and whether they should be allowed to race in Britain?

It seems Stanozolol is

NOT

Typical GT you bang on about how Cormack is right in saying not to cast allegations in regards to Godolphin then you just do the same thing :wink: Why don’t you name the horses you suspect instead of being weak and starting innuendo.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

It seems Stanozolol is

NOT

well choisor looked like a tank when he came over. Also I believe Lasix is allowed in the states (steroids i’m not sure about) which might explain why ward cleaned up all the royal ascot two year old races a few years back.

Have you ever thought he may just have been a superior sprinter instead of casting aspersions?

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Just came across this article when Binocular was banned from running in the Champion Hurdle:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ma … ion-hurdle

The part that catches my eye is this:

"because a steroid being used to treat an allergic reaction

will not clear the horse’s system in time

"

Was Al Zarooni’s mistake to authorise the administering of the drugs or to get the timing wrong? In other words is the practice commonplace but he simply got caught out?

I am no expert and appreciate the Binocular case did not involve "anabolic" steroids, however I seem to recall that in human athletes anabolic steroids were used a specific number of days before competitions in order that traces had disappeared by the day of an event meaning the chances of being positively drug tested were remote. One presumes it is the same with racehorses.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I have come to a cdrtain cxonclusion about Godolphin;

They are too big to fail.
    What does that mean?
    1. too many people need them.

2. too many horses involved in Godolphin.

3. Too much invested instud farms,mares etc.

The English racing authority did the only feasable thing.Get rid of the trainer,and suspend the horses involved for as long as reasonably possible.
    The future will mean very close scrutiny of all Godolphin racing operations in GB.No excuses no exceptions.

Most people will feel the need as I do to let off steam but the best thing is to go forward and expect better from the BRA, because their failure and Godolphion got us where we are now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

It seems Stanozolol is

NOT

Typical GT you bang on about how Cormack is right in saying not to cast allegations in regards to Godolphin then you just do the same thing :wink: Why don’t you name the horses you suspect instead of being weak and starting innuendo.

Jollyp,
    I am not casting "allegations", I am just stating a

fact

!
    MAZ has just been

banned

for

8 years

for doing something that is perfectly

legal

in Australia. Namely using Stanozolol out of competition. The 15 horses in question have been

banned

for

6 months

. So I am asking…

How can the BHA let Australian horses race in Britain when their horses

MAY

have quite legally used the

same

performance inhancing drug in the last

6 months

?

Come off it Jollyp, how would you like it if British horses

were

allowed

performance inhancing

drugs and Australians

not

allowed? It’s

not

a fair race!

Value Is Everything
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The decision regarding the suspension was made by the BHA, not by the disciplinary panel.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ … z2RWmBVDHa

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

It seems Stanozolol is

NOT

Jollyp,
    I am not casting "allegations", I am just stating a

fact

!
    MAZ has just been

banned

for

8 years

for doing something that is perfectly

legal

in Australia. Namely using Stanozolol out of competition. The 15 horses in question have been

banned

for

6 months

. So I am asking…

How can the BHA let Australian horses race in Britain when their horses

MAY

have quite legally used the

same

performance inhancing drug in the last

6 months

?

Come off it Jollyp, how would you like it if British horses

were

allowed

performance inhancing

drugs and Australians

not

allowed? It’s

not

a fair race!

Or MAY NOT have GT,my point was your ‘Does that help explain things’ comment.To mean that was an inference as to why the Aus horses went so well over there. MAZ has admitted to and blood tests show he was guilty.Why don’t i infer Frankel was so good and dominant he must have been on something,no it was just his ability.I have no qualms with the possibility that Horses here may either be barred from racing there or have to stop using Stanozolol,that is fair enough.Though speculating on past winners is not,some may or may not have used it,who knows,but we do know there was nothing in their post race swabs.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

It seems Stanozolol is

NOT

Have you ever thought he may just have been a superior sprinter instead of casting aspersions?

I don’t see how that’s casting "aspersions" when it’s well known that steriods are used in australian racing?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I don’t see how that’s casting "aspersions" when it’s well known that steriods are used in australian racing?

No only Australian racing but right across Australian sport according to the recent Australian Crime Commission report.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

No only Australian racing but right across Australian sport according to the recent Australian Crime Commission report.

‘Right across Australian sport’ :D Don’t be missing anyone there will you :wink: All that has been alleged is that some players may have used Peptides or anti-obesity medications.So right across all sports hey,just more sh*t stirring.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

So Choisir looked like a tank,so he was strong looking? Like a stallion??? Google some stallions from the UK and you will see they look like um…a stallion! There is no need to give a stallion steroids as they have natural testosterone.You would have been better picking on a gelding.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

‘Right across Australian sport’ :D Don’t be missing anyone there will you :wink: All that has been alleged is that some players may have used Peptides or anti-obesity medications.So right across all sports hey,just more sh*t stirring.

Have you bothered to read the full report Jollyp – perhaps you need to remove your rose coloured spectacles.

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 279 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.