The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A ton of bricks

Home Forums Horse Racing A ton of bricks

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

David Williams has just been on BBC News explaining that he was giving all the punters their money back ‘cos, y’know, that’s just the kind of lovely guy he is.

Mike

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

perhaps a better solution would be for sheik mo to be warned off as well?

Why EGS?
    Should every owner be warned off for a trainer’s doping offence?
    Should The Queen be warned off?

Yes, it is possible Sheikh Mo knew this was going on. But unless there is evidence to suggest he did know – then he must surely be presumed innocent? Admittedly, in future any Godolphin trainer should be tested regularly.

Yes, Sheikh Mo is a hands on owner and has a big say in how horses are trained. However, that also means a great deal of pressure for trainers to do well. Pressure that could lead to a trainer trying unscrupulous methods to succeed.

It is sad something like this brings questions to all our minds. Like: Why does Dubai/Meydan form (in particular Dubai Godolphin form) rarely work out when returning to Europe? Don’t answer that.

but sheikh mo has previous in this. one of his horses was banned a few years back after dubai endurance event.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Somebody had to be payinfg the vet’s bills Whoever paid the vet has to assume responsability for what he was doing.Were no questions asked? Is Godolphin too big to fail?

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

That’s better news. Did not expect Hills to refund bets Librettist.

It’s usually just win and place singles refunded in this sort of situation Hammy.

But will my bet now be a single on DA Ginge? Or have I lost my cash? :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

It’s usually just win and place singles refunded in this sort of situation Hammy.

Suspect it will still be counted as a losing double bet, but bookmakers do seem to be falling over themselves to refund bets. Might be worth asking Hammy.

Value Is Everything
    elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

well if they’re refunding bets then if DA wins, you’ll just get back that part of the winning bet.

problem is he’s not going to win :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Surely when you place an ante-post bet you are placing it all risks.

Some risks are common, some are unique but that is the essence of ante-post betting and I cannot see what justification people have to call for a refund of their bets.

Yes some bookmakers are refunding ante-post bets on Godolphin runners – but lets face it they are not doing so for any altruistic reason, they are doing it as a cheap publicity stunt.

I think more damage is done to credibility when bookmakers arbitrarily ignore the rules simply as a cheap publicity stunt.

If Ladbrokes are sticking to the rules and not refunding ante-post bets on Godolphin runners then all credit to them – well done.

Hands up who would be singing the bookmakers praises if they suddenly ignored a rule so that it didn’t favour the punter – no didn’t think I would see any hands raised!!

If people don’t want to take on all the risks they shouldn’t play in the first place.

Ladbrokes have always seen themselves as the ‘Tour de force’ of Bookmaking,they are a household name,their red logo is as synonymous as a Ferrari is Red thanks to their marketing but they still have the label of a company who failed to move with the times and if they dont refund all Ante-Post wagers relating to this Godolphin disaster they themselves will pay for it as Punters can actually tell the difference between a Dino and a Dinosaur.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

well if they’re refunding bets then if DA wins, you’ll just get back that part of the winning bet.

problem is he’s not going to win :wink:

Well I’m hoping you are correct in the first part of your post and I’m afraid you might be correct in the second part. :D

I hope I’m wrong as I have no other real vested interest in the race now and lots of other people are pinning their hopes on Dawn Approach winning the first classic, but I’ve not got a very big faith in him doing so. I suppose time will tell. :)

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Surely when you place an ante-post bet you are placing it all risks.

All risks is all risks, a simple concept really, just because it is the first time it has happened is irrelevant

Yes some bookmakers are refunding ante-post bets on Godolphin runners – but lets face it they are not doing so for any altruistic reason, they are doing it as a cheap publicity stunt.

"publicity stunt" "good PR" – that’s just playing with words – both are intrinsically the same

If Ladbrokes are sticking to the rules and not refunding ante-post bets on Godolphin runners then all credit to them – well done.

I do invest my money with bookmakers and when I bet ante post it is on the basis that the bet is

ALL

risks, forseen or not, not all risks except when the bookmaker changes their mind.

I take the attitude the money is lost as soon as it is invested. If it is a winner then it’s a bonus.

If a bet is a loser, for any reason whatsoever, I simply accept it as an occupational hazard and I would never bemoan my "bad luck".

I certainly wouldn’t ever expect a refund on any ante post bet. On the rare occasion an ante post bet has been refunded by a publicity seeking bookmaker I have donated the refund to charity.

If people don’t want to take on all the risks they shouldn’t play in the first place.

How have the goalposts moved – is this the first doping case in racing? Of course not and it will not be the last.

The risk from doping has always been there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I certainly wouldn’t ever expect a refund on any ante post bet. On the rare occasion an ante post bet has been refunded by a publicity seeking bookmaker I have donated the refund to charity.

Good for you Paul! I see this unsavoury episode has just made it on to the 10,O Clock News with quite a substantial coverage and David Williams of Ladbrokes cleverly uses these "Bizarre circumstances" on this platform to do the right thing and refund all bets.’Tour de Force’,Enough Said!

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Surely the whole point of appointing this man to train the Godolphin horses was that that way the Sheik could make all the decisions.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

what repurcussions does this have for the future? we can assume that with all those horses that tested positive, all results prior to that are now somewhat tainted.

does that mean that they can still go on to breed? and would you back a horse by a horse, that was known to be juiced up? so was not as good as it seemed? worrying questions.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

does that mean that they can still go on to breed? and would you back a horse by a horse, that was known to be juiced up? so was not as good as it seemed? worrying questions.

Several horses raced by known juicer Rick Dutrow have become popular sires. Even steroid poster boy Big Brown has been getting big business. Go figure.

I’m sure you’ve all backed a horse sired by an American horse; yes, some of those American horses were on performance enhancing drugs. Not all of them, not even a majority of them, but some. Some of the European ones were too.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Do you have evidence which European horses ran and WON enhanced by drugs? I except the BC winners which used lasix.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

So one doped up son of a doped up daddy beat other doped up sons of a doped up daddy!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Do you have evidence which European horses ran and WON enhanced by drugs? I except the BC winners which used lasix.

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=086109 (Book of Music and Fairmile)
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=090772 (Delegator)
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=092860 (Meeznah)
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=091959 (Chabal)
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=091472 (Halicarnassus)
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=097775 (Mariner’s Cross and Lyric of Light)
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … tem=083605 (Three Valleys)

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Are these the lot or just an example?Incidentally thanks for all that information.I didn’t realize that Bin Suroore ie Godolphin were involved so far back! Seems like some people they never learn.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 279 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.