The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A ton of bricks

Home Forums Horse Racing A ton of bricks

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 750

A response to the issue of steroids from President of Australian Trainers Association Colin Alderson. The tone of the response can pretty much be gussed after his initial comment that Australian Racing is the best in the world.

http://www.rsn.net.au/audioplayer/1366939529.mp3

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Mr. Alderson comes across like a typical chip on the shoulder Aussie who is in denial. The young interviewer was obviously questioning Australia’s racing policy of allowing trainers to administer steroids to their horses, whilst Alderson condoned it, and peddled the same old nonsense about how all races in the UK have small fields. :roll: His justifcation for steroid use seemed to be based on not only medical grounds but more specifically because the amount of times their horses have to race.

Why have to ? :? They race their poor animals more frequently because of downright greed.

It is no surprise to me that Roger Charlton has questioned whether Black Caviar may have been given steroid injections. She is built like an Aberdeen Angus bull.

For Alderson to say that Australian racing is the best in the world is just utter poppycock – and his mealy-mouthed justification for the blanket use of steroids is equally pathetic.

The UK, Ireland and France is where the best horse racing takes place. No recalcitrant Aussie will tell me otherwise.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I don’t see how anyone other than Al Zarooni can can be reasonably blamed for the fiasco. How could anyone anticipate that anyone given the opportunity Al Zarooni had been given to train for Godolphin, would blow it in such a senseless fashion – and after being explicitly warned on that very topic earlier.

For that same reason, even before the court’s verdict was announced, it seemed unthinkable to me that Fallon would get involved in betting skullduggery, with the fortune the top jockeys make, year in year out.

I expect it’s necessary for Simon Chrisford and Sheik Mahommed to make such ‘noises’, but surely the reality is that Chrisford had spotted a very good trainer, but neither he nor anyone else, including Sheik Mahommed, could possibly have foreseen the man would behave in such a foolish way in such a serious matter.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

Mr. Alderson comes across like a typical chip on the shoulder Aussie who is in denial. The young interviewer was obviously questioning Australia’s racing policy of allowing trainers to administer steroids to their horses, whilst Alderson condoned it, and peddled the same old nonsense about how all races in the UK have small fields. :roll: His justifcation for steroid use seemed to be based on not only medical grounds but more specifically because the amount of times their horses have to race.

Why have to ? :? They race their poor animals more frequently because of downright greed.

It is no surprise to me that Roger Charlton has questioned whether Black Caviar may have been given steroid injections. She is built like an Aberdeen Angus bull.

For Alderson to say that Australian racing is the best in the world is just utter poppycock – and his mealy-mouthed justification for the blanket use of steroids is equally pathetic.

The UK, Ireland and France is where the best horse racing takes place. No recalcitrant Aussie will tell me otherwise.

:wink:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

Deleted:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

The mere fact that Australian horses have the opportunity of benefiting from training on performance enhancing drugs means British trainers are at a disadvantage.

I ask you again Jollyp, how would you react if the shoe was on the other hoof?

Absolutely spot on GT.

British racing should have a ZERO TOLERANCE approach to substances not allowed here – That should run to banning any horse from a jurisdiction which allows the use of medications/drugs that are banned here from competing in our races.

If the boot was on the other foot (i.e. our horses going to Aus or US with an advantage of any kind) the noise from those countries would be deafening and I’d wager they’d act pretty quickly to eradicate that advantage.

Ok i would like to request you remove my account you one eyed gutless wonder!

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I believe that Zaroony was not aware that some assistent Vet with no certificate snuck into the yard daily with a box of drugs and needles and proceeded after dark when the help had long gone to push the needle into selected horses.That is more likely than that the Sheik would ride a doped up horse in a cross counrty competition.Our man from Dubai who let his own bank go under and had his famous tower renamed( reflecting his skulduggery )and bailed out by AbuDabi would not stoop so low as to cheat to beat Coolmore in its Triple Crown bid!This guy needs to win at whatever cost.He don’t need no world class English trainer’s qualified staff telling him how to train his horses,least of all the wife of Sir Henry Cecil.Soon may he leave us for the sunshine of Dubai where the banks laundered the money to finance 9/11.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

]

Judged by your previous post Jollyp, you don’t need to ask. :lol:

Could always join the "Thoroughbred Village". :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well at least one good thing has come out of all of this.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Three things Sheikh Mohammed could do to help ensure that the public understand that he recognises that what has happened at his Newmarket yard is totally unacceptable.

Firstly, he should invite the BHA to test any of the horses housed in the Bin Suroor yard as they see fit. If they don’t see fit to do so he should then commission an external body to do the tests and to publicly announce the results of such tests.

It appears the BHA may have had specific intelligence linking the Zarooni yard to the doping, and presumably they are privately comfortable about the situation at the Bin Suroor yard, but in the interests of transparency, particularly for punters thinking of betting on or against horses from that yard in the next few months, there should be resolution over that particular question.

Secondly, he undoubtedly has the influence (power, if you will) to quickly alter the rules of racing in Dubai such that substances akin to that used by Zarooni are completely banned. In other words to bring their rules on this in line with those in place in Europe. As many UK based trainers have pointed out, it is grossly unfair that horses can come here from Dubai having been prepped on steroids.

Thirdly, he should refuse to race his horses in jurisdictions where such substances are allowed.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Firstly, he should invite the BHA to test any of the horses housed in the Bin Suroor yard as they see fit.

It’s too late for that now – the testing should have been done the day they received the first positives from Al Zarooni’s yard, if not before.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Much has been discussed over the use of ‘pre-training yards’ by trainers and owners with resources to do so. The problem (or opportunity) with these being that they do not fall under BHA jurisdiction. So, horses could be prepped on steroids, bulding muscle and condition, before being placed in the trainer’s yard, following the appropriate wash-out-of-the-system period.

Tricky from a logistics viewpoint but all thoroughbreds are registered with Weatherbys right? So any thoroughbred registered should be fair game for testing whatever the location, in or out of training. Horses who are not going to ever race could be removed from a live ‘will potentially race’ database by the owner at any point if it isn’t going to run ever.

Then the BHA could test any thoroughbred, anytime and take another big step to wiping out steroid use at a stroke.

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

David,

Agree in principle with your idea but does the BHA have the resources and budget to undertake this level of testing? I’m not sure they do.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Therein lies the great enigma. Those who condemn the use of steroid/drug administration, still allow their horses to be trained in countries which openly condone it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Cormack, isn’t it time you showed some balls and jettisoned that obnoxious little Aussie from an otherwise harmonious forum. It seems he is allowed to abuse forum members without reproach. If I was in charge, the egregious little, loud mouthed man child would have been turfed out long ago. :roll:

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

That’s better news. Did not expect Hills to refund bets Librettist.

It’s usually just win and place singles refunded in this sort of situation Hammy.

Good news Ginger.

According to the lady at Ladbrokes who I quizzed yesterday my bets all stand and the Certify element is simply treated as a non-runner. :)

…I always did say you can rely on Ladbrokes. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Leave him be and pat yourself on the back H et al. Resorting to

argumentum ad hominem

is the last resort of one who has lost the argument

I recommend a smug smile

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 279 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.